White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
WSI Regular

Angry Length of Game

Last night's game against Boston was a low-scoring, 9-inning contest. Each team scored on a solo home run, and the game winner crossed the plate on an errant throw. The teams combined for just 8 hits. So how come it took 3 hours and 36 minutes to play?

I know the Red Sox are notorious for long contests. But still, over 3 1/2 hours for a pitcher's duel? Here are a few suggestions to speed things up:

Umpires should force batters to get in the box instead of stepping out between every pitch.

Umpires should enforce the time limit pitchers have to deliver.

I know the replay system is new, but decisions need to be made quickly so as not to bog the game even more than it is already.

When a pitching change is made, the new pitcher should get 5 warmup throws. I think the limit now is 8.

Managers seem to overthink game strategy by paying a visit to the mound practically every inning in the later stages of the game (I refer to this as the LaRussa Influence). Umpires should "hurry up" the conversation.

Any other ideas or ways to speed things up would be appreciated. Over 3 1/2 hours for a low-scoring regulation game is ridiculous.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

I have a feeling the length of games is going to be addressed soon. I wouldn't be shocked if innings start to be cut. 7 inning games that could fit into that ideal 2:30-3 hour window makes some sense.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrechtel View Post
I have a feeling the length of games is going to be addressed soon. I wouldn't be shocked if innings start to be cut. 7 inning games that could fit into that ideal 2:30-3 hour window makes some sense.
Dodger fans would only get to see 4 or 5 innings of baseball then.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
There is a 0% chance baseball cuts innings. Zero.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Rather than a warm up pitch maximum for relievers, place a time limit on the action. Three minutes from the time the manager signals the reliever until the umpire restarts play. Do what you want with that time.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
There is a 0% chance baseball cuts innings. Zero.
Agreed.

They have to do something about time. It should not take more than 3 hours for a regular baseball game. Need to reduce the time between pitches significantly.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked if innings start to be cut. 7 inning games that could fit into that ideal 2:30-3 hour window makes some sense.
MLB will NEVER have pony league innings games.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

The Challenge rule is not helping things either.
MLB needs to sit down and address the issue of long games. When a relief pitcher has warmed up and is called in the game why does he need 8 more pitches. Batters should not constantly step out of the box, PK is a prime example always messing with his glove ala Mike Hargrove. Pitchers are also guilty especially with men on base, maybe Mark Buerhle should give a class on how to pitch a game in around 2 hours.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-16-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Limit mound visits and institute a pitch clock.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Reducing the number of innings played makes no sense. One of the things they can do is force the batter to stay in the box, every now and then you'll see this happen when an ump refuses to grant time and the pitcher gets an automatic strike. If this happened on a wider scale, especially in the early innings or when the game is a blowout, that would help.

I like the idea of a pitch clock but I don't want their to be a clock in stadiums. There is a rule that with nobody on base a pitcher has 12 seconds from the time he is on the mound to get the sign and throw the ball. Enforce that rule (it will drive Papelbon nuts) and that will speed up the game.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM
WSI Guru

Hitters need to get in the damn box. That's the biggest issue.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Hitters need to get in the damn box. That's the biggest issue.

Agree, too many batters taking a slow stroll to the batter's box, then a few more practice swings, then readjusting their gloves, then one foot in the box while they survey the field.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

One of the reasons the Red Sox play longer games and the White Sox are playing longer games this year is the emphasis on working counts. More pitches is going to make the games longer. People get mad at a player for swinging at the first pitch and popping out, while applauding a 12 pitch AB, which makes sense. The problem is, those lead to longer at bats, and eventually even more pitching changes. Shaving 15 seconds here and there is nice, but I think 3 hour plus games are pretty much here to stay.

I won't even mention catchers now almost always get signs from the dugout. Apparently pitchers now need a sign to throw to first base.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I won't even mention catchers now almost always get signs from the dugout. Apparently pitchers now need a sign to throw to first base.
Here's an idea that is just crazy enough to shave a few seconds off each play. Borrow from the NFL and have the catcher wear an earpiece with connection to a coach. Turn it off once the pitcher starts his motion so in case of pop fouls, wild pitches or passed balls there isn't any guidance from the dugout as to the whereabouts of the baseball.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Easy answer, sign 5 Mark Buerhle's.

How about instituting the 10 run slaughter rule? How about a cap on runs that can be scored in an inning?

If the Sox batters are showing more patience, leading to higher opponent pitch counts, leading to inferior bullpen pitchers like Capuano being used, leading to more White Sox victories, the games can be 4 hours for all I care.