White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Am I missing something or is this based on Facebook "likes"? I'm glad to see the Sox on top in Cook and some of the other counties in the metro area, but I wouldn't exactly call that evidence that the Sox are the #1 team in Cook County.
Which is why I included the caveat that this is according to Facebook's data
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I've always heard it made the construction easier since the park uses a bunch of utilities buried underneath 35th Street that were formerly used by the old park. I don't really think it's as big of a deal, even if it faced the city, you wouldn't see much. It's not like you'd have an awesome skyline view like you do in Pittsburgh
Understood, but utilities can be moved, and in this case it should have happened. If the Cell would face the same direction as Wrigley (NE) then you'd afford much of the upper deck a stunning view of downtown, which would be an attraction in itself. Just look at all those folks snapping shots with the skyline backdrop from the top of the ramp on 35th.

And heck, the UD could use all the help it can get!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
MMXXIII

The New York Times did an awesome job analyzing the Facebook data, breaking it down even further, by ZIP Code and shows the Sox still have a very strong hold on most of the South Side of the city as well as most of the South and Southwest suburbs and a large chunk of near NW Indiana

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...42.943,-87.547

Really cool ****.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The New York Times did an awesome job analyzing the Facebook data, breaking it down even further, by ZIP Code and shows the Sox still have a very strong hold on most of the South Side of the city as well as most of the South and Southwest suburbs and a large chunk of near NW Indiana

Really cool ****.
That's a cool map, but I think their numbers for the DC/Balt. area are off. They show no presence for the Nats in some of the MD outer suburbs, which is simply not true.

As far as Berrien Co. Mich is concerned, there is no way the Sox only have a 9% presence there. Ditto for St. Joe County Ind. (South Bend area).
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Really cool ****.
That maps shows my ZIP being pretty much evenly split Sox/Cubs. As much as I'd love that to be the case, that really doesn't match my experience with people in this area. I still feel like I'm "one of those guys who is a Sox fan" in an area where most everyone else is Cubs! Cubs! Cubs! Maybe this map reflects younger fans (teens/early 20s) who have become Sox fans thanks to 2005 and the last decade or so that seems to have brought one Cubs embarrassment after another.

All the better reason to hope that Rick Hahn & Co turn this franchise around and make the Sox a playoff team again while I hope Theo's master plan stretches on for another decade of waiting for success.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
That map shows my ZIP being pretty much evenly split Sox/Cubs. As much as I'd love that to be the case, that really doesn't match my experience with people in this area.
It seems pretty accurate for Clarendon Hills / Hinsdale. I see a lot more Sox gear on the streets close to home.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W