White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *official* 4/17 Our bullpen really really sucks Post game thread

6 games lost by the bullpen.

Could be 14-2.

That sais it all.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 PM
MMXXIII

Well, we also only scored 1 run today

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, I really can't see how you can possibly blame the bullpen for this one. Any team that scores 1 run deserves to lose.

What if the game went 15 innings again, tied at 1, and then the bullpen gave up 2 runs? Is that considered a game the bullpen lost too?

And I also hate the idea of "if this was a good bullpen, they'd never blow a lead!". Every bullpen, ever, blows leads. Saying that "we could be 14-2" is very unrealistic.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 PM
WSI Personality

Kind of feels inevitable when it comes down to late innings and its a close game. The good news is for the most part we've battled back on the offense side of things but tonight we just simply got outpitched. Lester was great. As was Sale. Then who's bullpen is going to fold first? Ours.

If the offense comes back down to earth things could be real ugly for a while. But I'm going to be an optimist and think that we will continue to battle and find ways to win despite the pen.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Yeah, I really can't see how you can possibly blame the bullpen for this one. Any team that scores 1 run deserves to lose.

What if the game went 15 innings again, tied at 1, and then the bullpen gave up 2 runs? Is that considered a game the bullpen lost too?

And I also hate the idea of "if this was a good bullpen, they'd never blow a lead!". Every bullpen, ever, blows leads. Saying that "we could be 14-2" is very unrealistic.
14-2 is an idea, but even a 10-6 record looks good. The point is, we could be an extremely good baseball team.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
14-2 is an idea, but even a 10-6 record looks good. The point is, we could be an extremely good baseball team.
Extremely good baseball teams get that run in from third with less than two outs in the seventh.
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Sure, but the point is, we don't have a very good bullpen. Unless you're very rich or very good at building a team or very lucky, you can't be good at every single aspect of baseball, and right now the one where the Sox are lacking is the pen. I'm not saying they shouldn't try to get better, they definitely should, but for your own sanity you should just try to accept that the bullpen is going to blow a LOT of games and stop being so upset about it.
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well, we also only scored 1 run today

Yeah, kind of lost here with all the focus in the bad bullpen is the offense going into a funk.

I guess has to do with facing 3 real good pitchers this series, but a bad sign to me is some very crappy in-effective ABs throughout the series.

Hope this is not reality of things to come. I realize we weren't going to hit .300 the whole year.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 PM
WSI High Priest

If the Sox early hitting was smoke and mirrors theres danger here cherie.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Yeah, kind of lost here with all the focus in the bad bullpen is the offense going into a funk.

I guess has to do with facing 3 real good pitchers this series, but a bad sign to me is some very crappy in-effective ABs throughout the series.

Hope this is not reality of things to come. I realize we weren't going to hit .300 the whole year.
I agree. I still see an inability to score runners in scoring position in addition to shoddy bullpen and shaky defense.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

We only scored 1 run, and yes, our offense is in a funk, but Jon Lester is a damn good pitcher, too. That's a "tip your cap" performance, and a sincere one, for once.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

It wasn't just that the White Sox scored only one run. It was the White Sox scored only one run and left two runners on third, one having gotten there with less than two outs, and had another thrown out at the plate before the Red Sox got their second hit.

Part of the problem was that Sale could only go seven without the White Sox giving him the lead on a night after the bullpen exhausted. If Dunn had scored, if Viciedo had come through just once with two outs, if Semien had brought home a runner from third and less than one out, Bellasario wouldn't have had to come out for a second inning. Whether the White Sox would have been able to convert the save may be in question, but tonight, going into the ninth tied put the home team at a disadvantage.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was at tonight's game. The Bacon on a stick may be my new favorite food. Oh, and our bullpen is the worst in baseball.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
We only scored 1 run, and yes, our offense is in a funk, but Jon Lester is a damn good pitcher, too. That's a "tip your cap" performance, and a sincere one, for once.
Fire Walker.

All hail The Rick
Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Yeah, in theory, every team could be undefeated right now if their damn pitchers would stop letting the other team score.