White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 04:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *Official* 4/30 One Bad Inning Postgame Thread

Sometimes, a single inning makes all the difference. Oh well. At least I was at the game.

Last edited by thomas35forever; 05-01-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Hector was great until that inning....after three...27 pitches, one hit...then boom.

Hope he can give us 3 good innings out of the bullpen.

Sox had some early chances vs Scherzer but could not get the big hit.

Tigers continue to have the Sox number...damn!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:47 PM
WSI Regular

A big positive was the bullpen coming in again to do a solid job. I could do without Cleto allowing so many baserunners, but that will hopefully be fixed.

I'm hoping once Sale comes back Rienzo and Carroll can hold down the 2 righty spots in the rotation and give the team a chance to compete. Right now it reminds me of that year where the 5th starter went 0-for the year and we had to watch Danny Wright out there week after week.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox had a chance to win this game, but it wasn't a good one.

Noesi needed to go at least four against Scherzer, and the Sox needed to get to Scherzer early, the way they did Verlander Tuesday night. They had their chances against Scherzer, the best opportunity coming with Easton and Becham getting on for Abreu with one out in the third.

As it turned out, Noesi was only good one time through the lineup. He was good enough on few enough pitches that, particularly in a scoreless game, he didn't get the quick hook when he got into trouble. The sacrifice fly was an obstacle. The second, the Tigers playing fundamental baseball, made it an uphill game. The two-out double pretty much sealed the deal. I don't think it was Noesi's pitch count that got to him. I think the Tigers were able to adjust to him the second time around, especially with Noesi pitching with men on base.

The big lead, relative to the game situation big anyway, limited what the Sox could do offensively, although Scherzer looked a bit vulnerable. Sox hitters had better at bats against him than they had six days ago even if they ended up not putting any real threat together against him after the third.

The Sox beat Price with Sxott Carroll starting, not because they scored nine runs, but because Carroll kept them in the game to give them a chance to get to Price, who seemed to fall apart after the Semien bunt that resulted in two errors to give the Sox the lead.

On the positive side, the bullpen represented today. Noesi had the bad fourth, but if he is coming out of the bullpen, you won't see him often pitching into the fourth. The new pitchers the Sox have brought in seemed to have settled down the bullpen. Throwing strikes makes a big difference. I didn't think it would take a significant trade to improve the bullpen, although the Sox still don't have someone who can instill confidence coming in to protect small ninth-inning leads.

I thought the Cleto-defensive problems in the ninth might be a blessing in disguise, giving Webb a chance to find himself, attacking the good Tigers hitters with no margin for error. Indeed, he struck out the side, but he walked in a run with two outs.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Second time thru the order did Noesi in. He just doesn't have enough of an arsenal to give teams a second look. He might be a valuable piece in the bullpen though. It didn't really matter anyway because the offense did nothing against Scherzer today. Hopefully we can get on track on the next couple series and get Sale and Gillaspie healthy again. The Tribe might be playing without Kipnis and the Cubs are just terrible. It would be nice if we can go on a 5W-2L run.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Noesi is a project, and frankly I expected a lot worse from him. Just one of those 60 (or 50?) you lose.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

We're starting to see regression to the mean. Offense going down, bullpen going up. Starting pitching...who the hell knows.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
We're starting to see regression to the mean. Offense going down, bullpen going up. Starting pitching...who the hell knows.

Would agree about the offense except that we faced Verlander and Scherzer who are no slouches. And we actually got to Verlander just couldn't put him away. We have a nice little stretch coming up against some very beatable teams. Gotta take care of business and hopefully get solidly above .500.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

During the last four games of the homestand, the Sox faced the last three AL Cy Young Award winners. In two of those games, they started pitchers who have been on the team less than a week and were making their first major league starts of the year. I don't know how much regressing to the mean is going on after taking three of four from the Rays and losing to Verlander and Scherzer, the pitchers who beat the Sox in Detroit.

About two-thirds of the innings by White Sox pitchers in those four games came from pitchers who weren't on the White Sox for opening day. More than half of those innings were pitched by Quintana. The bullpen is better because the innings are going to more successful pitchers. Having Paulino injured hasn't hurt the starting rotation.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Noesi is a project, and frankly I expected a lot worse from him. Just one of those 60 (or 50?) you lose.
Yeah, when you start a journeyman reliever working on his 3rd team in a month with an ERA north of 11 vs. the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner... you're probably going to lose.

Oh well.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
This is what worries me a bit. Even with Alexei, Flowers and Viciedo all above .350 and Abreau on pace to hit 60 homers, the Sox are still hovering at around .500.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
This is what worries me a bit. Even with Alexei, Flowers and Viciedo all above .350 and Abreau on pace to hit 60 homers, the Sox are still hovering at around .500.
We're 13th in team pitching (14th for starters, 10th for relievers), and 10th in team fielding percentage- so unless that changes- no matter how great our offense is- we'll be a .500 team this year (at best).

We'll need a few of our reclamation projects at AAA to come through (Hanson, Francisco, Guerra, Boggs, Surkamp)- the recent bullpen performance has been promising- fingers crossed that Sale will be OK.

For defense- our problems are more challenging- other than Ramirez, Beckham and Eaton- no real "plus" defenders on this team.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
We're 13th in team pitching (14th for starters, 10th for relievers), and 10th in team fielding percentage- so unless that changes- no matter how great our offense is- we'll be a .500 team this year (at best).
History says the Sox pitching staff will get back on track. It's normally our strength and they are already showing some positive signs of becoming stable. Rienzo is a big leap up in quality from Paulino, Danks looks closer to being his old self, and Sale should be back to anchor the rotation soon. The addition of Putnam to the bullpen mix along with an effective Belisario and Petricka have given Robin some reliable late inning options. I also think some of those pitching E.R.A. numbers were inflated by a few bad blowout games. Felipe Paulino's starts alone probably inflated the team E.R.A. by a full run. The Sox still look like a young team trying to find themselves right now and the growing pains can be seen for sure. However, the potential this team has is promising and they have been very entertaining to watch.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 AM
WSI Regular

I was pleased with how the pen pitched. I see some promise in Petricka, Putnam, and Belasario going forward. They have good life on their balls, and so do Webb and Lindstrom. This could actually be a strength if they can show some consistency, however I think they could use a solid lefty.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Bingo, the pen improving will mitigate it a little bit, but the offense is so unsustainable that I think right now they're quite a bit better than their long term average.