White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Manny Ramirez joins Iowa Cubs

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...160758318.html
Interesting.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:34 PM
WSI Guru

Theo is quoted in the MLB.com article as saying that Manny will not take ABs away from the developing kids. That's an incredible statement. If he gets ONE at bat, he's taking away from the minor leaguers that Theo has been building up over the past three years. If I was a Cub fan, this move would seem hypocritical. I would suppose see it as a good faith gesture to bring him on as a coach, but Theo leaves the door open for Manny to find the old magic and catch on with another team, on Cubs time. Unreal. That's circus crap.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 05-25-2014, 03:21 PM
WSI Personality

It pays to cheat in baseball
Old 05-25-2014, 11:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
. If he gets ONE at bat, he's taking away from the minor leaguers that Theo has been building up over the past three years.
I don't know about that. Take a look at the Iowa roster, it is full of veteran AAAA players just like most AAA teams. There's only 4 or 5 actual prospects amongst the batters on the roster and just as many in the 28-34 age range getting significant at bats.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't know about that. Take a look at the Iowa roster, it is full of veteran AAAA players just like most AAA teams. There's only 4 or 5 actual prospects amongst the batters on the roster and just as many in the 28-34 age range getting significant at bats.
Actually, didn't know that Casper Wells caught on with the Cubs.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

This was part of Theo's Master Plan all along.

All hail The Rick
Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't know anything about the Iowa Cubs roster, but there's no way that every player on their AAA roster is a legitimate major league prospect.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-26-2014, 03:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I don't know anything about the Iowa Cubs roster, but there's no way that every player on their AAA roster is a legitimate major league prospect.
What's the point of giving any at bat whatsoever to Manny, who was a flame out four years ago with the Sox? Whether Casper Wells and Josh Vitters are legit prospects or re-treads, why would you give Manny AB's at all? Really hard to see how anyone could defend that when the entire organizational philosophy over the past three years being fed to the lemming fans is about rebuilding the minor league system. Justifying it by saying Casper Wells sucks isn't the point. Give the guy a coaching job to help out the struggling Latin guys like Baez in Trip-A, I understand that. Letting him play on the team when he's only played just a bit of independent ball since 2010 is really odd. Any other team, any other player, any other situation probably wouldn't so glaringly hypocritical, but if I were a Flub fan, this one would strike me in the wrong way. But, ultimately, it's up to them.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I don't know about that, have you seen their MLB roster? Probably could swap out the AAA team and no one would know the difference, at least the position players.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 PM
WSI High Priest

A way to boost attendance, but that's about all I see it as. Is there actually anyone down there you'd want him working with?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe Theo has a fondness for one of his secrets to success in Boston. What better way to be a genius who wins the World Series than to be hired by a team that has already has a $20M/year slugger putting up HOF numbers at the heart of its lineup?