White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
If we put an American flag on our jerseys, are we starting a war with [enter any other team besides Toronto here] to be "America's team," or are we simply asserting our American pride? Right. So putting a Chicago flag on our jerseys is the same thing.

(Marketing aside, the Chicago flag is simply gorgeous, so it should be there for aesthetic reasons alone.)
The major difference is that you are not branding yourself as "America's Baseball Team". What was said in this thread was to market yourself as "Chicago Baseball". So no, it is not the same thing as adding an American flag.

The flag is nice, don't get me wrong, but I would rather not see the Sox challenge our north side counterparts. There are caps, shirts, sweatshirts available with the flag. I think that is enough.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
The major difference is that you are not branding yourself as "America's Baseball Team". What was said in this thread was to market yourself as "Chicago Baseball". So no, it is not the same thing as adding an American flag.

The flag is nice, don't get me wrong, but I would rather not see the Sox challenge our north side counterparts. There are caps, shirts, sweatshirts available with the flag. I think that is enough.
You'll note on another active thread (the Facebook data one) that the Sox are actually more popular among Chicagoans. (To be precise: The Sox are more popular among residents of Cook County who use Facebook, which is a statistically large enough sample to matter. This is not exactly the same thing as being more popular among Chicagoans, but it's close enough for the purposes of this discussion.) Given that, we have as much right to assert "Chicago Baseball" as any other team does.

And anyway, what are you so afraid of? Some Lincoln Park chads might laugh at you? Who cares. We're the CHICAGO White Sox, dammit. Time to start acting like it.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
You'll note on another active thread (the Facebook data one) that the Sox are actually more popular among Chicagoans. (To be precise: The Sox are more popular among residents of Cook County who use Facebook, which is a statistically large enough sample to matter. This is not exactly the same thing as being more popular among Chicagoans, but it's close enough for the purposes of this discussion.) Given that, we have as much right to assert "Chicago Baseball" as any other team does.

And anyway, what are you so afraid of? Some Lincoln Park chads might laugh at you? Who cares. We're the CHICAGO White Sox, dammit. Time to start acting like it.
And I thought people were calling for a patch. Most casual Chicago baseball fans would hardly notice.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

The flag is nice, don't get me wrong, but I would rather not see the Sox challenge our north side counterparts.
That's exactly what they should be doing. Brand your Chicago baseball team as the Chicago baseball team. Don't necessarily start mudslinging with the Cubs, but use that beautiful Chicago flag wherever possible.

The Yankees do a great job telling NY that they're the only real team in town. Sure, all those trophies help, but you know that when the Yankees do something, they're speaking for NY.

I've seen games at all four NY baseball stadiums in the last 10 years. The Mets are the neighborhood team. The Yankees are New York's team. There's literally no reason why the Sox can't put the wheels in motion to make that happen for them.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
And I thought people were calling for a patch. Most casual Chicago baseball fans would hardly notice.
A patch would be awesome, but I'd settle for a helmet decal.

I can't tell if your comment that casual fans wouldn't notice is an argument FOR or AGAINST. If they won't notice, then at the very least it can't hurt.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

When we can rally all those fans to get to a game, we'll talk.

I don't disagree that we have just as much right, but it is a rather large gamble to take in my view.

A few years ago, NU basketball branded it's self as "Chicago's Big Ten Team". I have been to several NU basketball games and Illinois fans outnumber NU fans 2 to 1. Which equates to hurting the brand. I feel the same applies to this scenario.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
When we can rally all those fans to get to a game, we'll talk.

I don't disagree that we have just as much right, but it is a rather large gamble to take in my view.

A few years ago, NU basketball branded it's self as "Chicago's Big Ten Team". I have been to several NU basketball games and Illinois fans outnumber NU fans 2 to 1. Which equates to hurting the brand. I feel the same applies to this scenario.
That slogan has done nothing to the brand but make Illinois feel they had to retaliate. So, actually, it worked.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

The White Sox used to put decals of the Chicago flag on their helmets. It really didn't make people flee Wrigley Field for what was then New Comiskey Park.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That slogan has done nothing to the brand but make Illinois feel they had to retaliate. So, actually, it worked.
Excellent. And true! That slogan bugs the crap out of me and most of my Illini friends.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:26 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I'm not saying brand the team CHICAGO'S MOTHER****IN BASEBALL TEAM, BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCHES, I'm just saying use some more city imagery around the park. More six-pointed stars. More baby blue stripes somewhere. More skyline. More Chicago pride ****. That's what I'm talking about.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
A patch would be awesome, but I'd settle for a helmet decal.

I can't tell if your comment that casual fans wouldn't notice is an argument FOR or AGAINST. If they won't notice, then at the very least it can't hurt.
I like the idea of a decal or a patch or whatever, but I think that the reaction here that predicts a backlash against it is overstated, as I doubt most people would even notice it..
Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I like the idea of a decal or a patch or whatever, but I think that the reaction here that predicts a backlash against it is overstated, as I doubt most people would even notice it..
Agreed.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
The White Sox used to put decals of the Chicago flag on their helmets. It really didn't make people flee Wrigley Field for what was then New Comiskey Park.
Right. And how many people fled New Comiskey Park for Wrigley Field because of it?

File it under Things That Probably Won't Help Attendance But Certainly Won't Hurt It And Which Will Make A Segment Of Fans Very Happy Without Pissing Anyone Else Off.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm not saying brand the team CHICAGO'S MOTHER****IN BASEBALL TEAM, BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCHES.
Actually after reading some of these posts above in the thread, I think that's a perfect branding approach

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Pretty interesting article.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ot-for-us-too#

Not quoting numbers so you really can't tell exact figures, but it improved their corporate sponsors.

But the telling line is - But attracting more casual sports fans in a market dominated by professional teams requires winning more big games, especially because Northwestern has fewer alumni in Chicago—80,000—than every Big Ten school except Penn State and Nebraska.

College is one thing, I think it would be polarized at the professional sports level. Just my view though.

I have no issue with using the flag. Just don't think they should knowingly engage in an Us vs Them battle with the Cubs. Beat them in park experience. Beat them with a better team. Beat them with ticket prices and an overall better experience. Just saying it doesn't make it true.
Closed Thread