White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 PM
gregoriop gregoriop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NWI
Posts: 2,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I was also on the club level yesterday. The problem is that the waiters that normally come to the seats were having technical issues getting their wireless ordering devices working outside near the seats so essentially, this eliminated about 90% of the seat side ordering service on the club level. It likely overwhelmed the club concession stands as people went inside to get food.

I've never sat in the club level. Do you tip these people? Are they waiters?
  #92  
Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,107
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoriop View Post
I've never sat in the club level. Do you tip these people? Are they waiters?
Yes to both questions. They come to your section and hand you a menu early in the game (or sometimes before). You then place your order with them, then enter it into this networked electronic device, and then your food/drinks are delivered to your section. You can even open a tab on a credit card. Normally, it works really smoothly and is a nice perk to sitting on the club level because you don't have to leave your seats. Yesterday, they seemed to be understaffed (which is unusual for the club level) and the waiter for our group of sections was having a devil of a time getting the networked order machine to work out in the seats so he couldn't really take many orders. Therefore, most of us were going inside to get the food. It was a blip on the radar though I think. Most of the time, the customer service on that level is really good and Levy Foods does a good job.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
  #93  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM
My_Sox_Summer My_Sox_Summer is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bridgeport / Chicago, IL
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know if the flag has to physically appear on the uniforms but the Sox don't do ANYTHING to brand themselves with popular city logos. You go to the United Center for a Bulls game and it's CHICAGO BASKETBALL, city-inspired movies, etc. The Sox don't do any of that. Hope this is a change in their approach, now that we're officially the city's favorite baseball team.
There are hats that have the flag on them and several hats that are in the Chicago colors. I don't know how much the Sox have to do with that (guessing not much) but it is available for the fan.

Bulls are the only NBA team in Chicago. Same with the Bears. Having two MLB teams in Chicago kinda makes it hard to define either team as "Chicago Baseball".
  #94  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
There are hats that have the flag on them and several hats that are in the Chicago colors. I don't know how much the Sox have to do with that (guessing not much) but it is available for the fan.

Bulls are the only NBA team in Chicago. Same with the Bears. Having two MLB teams in Chicago kinda makes it hard to define either team as "Chicago Baseball".
All the more reason to be proactive about it.
  #95  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:51 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,192
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
All the more reason to be proactive about it.
Exactly
__________________
  #96  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,192
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
There are hats that have the flag on them and several hats that are in the Chicago colors. I don't know how much the Sox have to do with that (guessing not much) but it is available for the fan.

Bulls are the only NBA team in Chicago. Same with the Bears. Having two MLB teams in Chicago kinda makes it hard to define either team as "Chicago Baseball".
Bootleg merchandise is not exactly what I was going for
  #97  
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 PM
My_Sox_Summer My_Sox_Summer is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bridgeport / Chicago, IL
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Bootleg merchandise is not exactly what I was going for
Hats are made by New Era. Sweatshirts by Stitches. Both are official merchandise, sold at the park and Grandstand.

As far as branding one team as Chicago Baseball, well, that is a war we could lose. We drew a million less people last year than our north side neighbors. To proclaim the Sox as "Chicago's Baseball Team" seems to be taking on the Cubs rather than making our product stand out. With the new ad, the Sox are trying to be inclusive, not trying to start an us vs them war. Just my view though.
  #98  
Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
Hats are made by New Era. Sweatshirts by Stitches. Both are official merchandise, sold at the park and Grandstand.

As far as branding one team as Chicago Baseball, well, that is a war we could lose. We drew a million less people last year than our north side neighbors. To proclaim the Sox as "Chicago's Baseball Team" seems to be taking on the Cubs rather than making our product stand out. With the new ad, the Sox are trying to be inclusive, not trying to start an us vs them war. Just my view though.
If we put an American flag on our jerseys, are we starting a war with [enter any other team besides Toronto here] to be "America's team," or are we simply asserting our American pride? Right. So putting a Chicago flag on our jerseys is the same thing.

(Marketing aside, the Chicago flag is simply gorgeous, so it should be there for aesthetic reasons alone.)
  #99  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
If we put an American flag on our jerseys, are we starting a war with [enter any other team besides Toronto here] to be "America's team," or are we simply asserting our American pride? Right. So putting a Chicago flag on our jerseys is the same thing.

(Marketing aside, the Chicago flag is simply gorgeous, so it should be there for aesthetic reasons alone.)
If you play in the city limits, no reason not to have a city flag on your jersey.

Maybe the Fire can put a flag of Bridgeview on their jerseys (I jest, but I've seen a number of Fire supporters call for a 3rd jersey designed around the Chicago flag).
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
  #100  
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,444
Blog Entries: 52
Default

I thought it was a nice touch around 1992-1993 or so when the Sox (or at least many of the players, maybe not all) had the Chicago flag on the back of their batting helmets. That's a distant memory though.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
  #101  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:26 AM
IronFisk IronFisk is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Clown Point, IN
Posts: 1,010
Default

I always wanted the Sox to have a "Back in Black" promotion with AC/DC's song blaring away.

Maybe next year???
__________________
  #102  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 AM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,920
Default

The Chicago flag simply doesn't work with our color scheme. It's a great flag, but there are many other ways we can represent the city.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
  #103  
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM
gregoriop gregoriop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NWI
Posts: 2,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
The Chicago flag simply doesn't work with our color scheme. It's a great flag, but there are many other ways we can represent the city.
I think we could incorporate the stars though.
  #104  
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Milw Milw is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Naperville
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
The Chicago flag simply doesn't work with our color scheme. It's a great flag, but there are many other ways we can represent the city.
You say that as if this franchise gives a rip about color schemes. Three of our jerseys are black/white/gray and one of them is red/white/blue.

To your point: if color scheme is the objection, no reason we couldn't incorporate the stars in black or white somehow. Or, hell, just use a grayscale version of the flag.
  #105  
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,192
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
You say that as if this franchise gives a rip about color schemes. Three of our jerseys are black/white/gray and one of them is red/white/blue.

To your point: if color scheme is the objection, no reason we couldn't incorporate the stars in black or white somehow. Or, hell, just use a grayscale version of the flag.
Yeah, if anything, it's kind of a way to celebrate our fair team's historic lack of a cohesive color scheme without going too overboard and bringing back powder blue uniforms.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.