White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I think its way too early to give up on Viciedo yet...his left field is more than tolerable and he's got the potential to have the type of bat that can carry an offense (Tampa Bay series...early 2012)

De Aza is adequate at the plate, dumb on the basepaths, and shaky in the outfield. Also not a part of our future plans. If you're gonna move anyone to create roster space then make it him.
DeAza can actually hit for average, can make things happen on the basepaths despite a few dumb mistakes, and not look foolish during most of his at bats, plus he's a moveable asset to other teams if we want to go down that road later on due to his at least league-average hitting for average, speed and a little pop,.

Not to mention that LF would be a better position for him fielding-wise.

Viciedo's trade value is never going to be higher barring a miracle by Todd Steverson to totally rework his plate approach and somehow have any plate patience and ability to hit the other way on inside pitches and not try to pull everything out of the park, Dunn style.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
I think you hang on Viciedo. He has shown flashes of dominance at the plate and he is still very young. He and Abreu have the potential to become a very good 1-2 punch if they both develop well.
I agree. De Aza's average and that won't change.
Viciedo could be better.

That said, I wouldn't just give De Aza away. If no value is offered, just hang onto him. Nothing wrong with a DeAza/Viciedo platoon, until a better deal comes about - will give us some depth, too.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think you hang on Viciedo. He has shown flashes of dominance at the plate and he is still very young. He and Abreu have the potential to become a very good 1-2 punch if they both develop well.
I just want to throw this out there for consideration: Viciedo has had fewer flashes of dominance than Beckham has had, albeit more recently because he joined the club later. Regardless, I think the likelihood that either will show more than an extremely occasional flash of dominance is infinitesimal.

Last edited by Vernam; 03-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM
WSI Regular

I guess my Brett Gardner idea is out the window with that crazy 4 year extension they gave him. 12 mill through 19. Must be nice.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Viciedo would have a lot more value, IMO.
Viciedo certainly has more value to the White Sox, but based on what each guy has accomplished at the major league level, the argument could be made that De Aza actually has more trade value than Viciedo. De Aza has a tangible skill that can be leveraged; he has shown the ability to lead off. We already acquired our leadoff man of the future in Adam Eaton, so De Aza's primary attribute means less to us than it does to other teams.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 PM
WSI Personality

Twins have interest in De Aza

His name is mentioned a little past half way down
Old 03-09-2014, 01:13 PM
WSI Irregular

Mariners, Sox have discussed Viciedo.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Heyman's article suggests that with Dirks having back surgery, Detroit is the best fit for De Aza. De Aza to Detroit could really tighten up the race in the Central. Maybe the Tigers would also take Axelrod in the deal!

now that s funny i don t care who ya are
Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I can't believe I have missed every single flash of dominance at the plate Viciedo has shown. All I have ever seen him do is hit mistakes a long way.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM
WSI Regular

I heard a report that the Sox are talking about shipping Viciedo to Seattle for Michael Saunders.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
I heard a report that the Sox are talking about shipping Viciedo to Seattle for Michael Saunders.
I'm not too sure what that would accomplish. First, why trade an OF from our "surplus" to acquire another OF? 2nd, production-wise, I'd rather try to extract more from Viciedo, who is younger than Saunders. He's nothing special.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I can't believe I have missed every single flash of dominance at the plate Viciedo has shown. All I have ever seen him do is hit mistakes a long way.

http://tablet.sportingnews.com/2012-...n-viciedo.html

I believe it is the 6th paragraph that talks about his hot streak in May of '12. Was impressive.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Just looking at stats, Saunders is older, has a .295 career OBP. The only thing he does better is walk more.
I realize the chances of Viciedo blossoming are small - but there is still is a chance. Wouldn't dump him for replaceable mediocrity.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 PM
WSI Regular

Saunders plays a solid defense and he is also a left handed bat. I do hope that we get a lot more for Tank
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Viciedo certainly has more value to the White Sox, but based on what each guy has accomplished at the major league level, the argument could be made that De Aza actually has more trade value than Viciedo.
I don't see how Viciedo has more value to the Sox or to anybody for that matter. De Aza is a better player in every facet of the game. Better hitter, fielder and baserunner, even when you take his gaffes into consideration. Plus, a left-handed hitter on a team devoid of left-handing hitting. All else equal, I'd take DeAza every day of the week over Viciedo, I don't get where this notion of Viciedo having value comes from honestly. Sure, he might figure it out sooner or later, but until he does he doesn't have much value to anyone.

Last edited by TheVulture; 03-13-2014 at 09:18 PM.