White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
What could the Yankees realistically get for Cervelli in terms of infield help? Probably Jeff Keppinger. I do think that a Cervelli/Keppinger swap is fair and probably helps both clubs.
I would make that trade in a heartbeat -- except Keppinger still can't throw and is likely going to start the season on the DL. If they have any interest, I'm sure NYY will wait to see if Keppinger's shoulder heals.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez
I would make that trade in a heartbeat -- except Keppinger still can't throw and is likely going to start the season on the DL. If they have any interest, I'm sure NYY will wait to see if Keppinger's shoulder heals.
I would do that trade in a heartbeat, too. The only problem is that I don't think Brian Cashman would. The White Sox would probably have to pay at least half that contract to move Keppinger, especially to a team that is over the luxury tax cap already. Jeff Keppinger would cost the Yankees $4.95 million this year ($4 million salary - Cervelli's $700K salary + $1.65 million tax penalty on the $3.3 million difference) and $6.5 million next year ($4.5 million salary + $2 million tax penalty) if the White Sox provide no financial relief. I don't see any way Cashman signs up for that unless the Yankees suffer a season-ending injury to someone in Spring Training. Even in that situation, I would only see Keppinger as an extreme last resort for them.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The White Sox would probably have to pay at least half that contract to move Keppinger, especially to a team that is over the luxury tax cap already.
With the payroll flexibility the Sox have, I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem. If I could get a roster worthy catcher for Keppinger, I'd gladly pay his contract if I were the Sox.