White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM
MMXXIII

Default Jonah Keri's Worst 15 Contracts

John Danks places #7, Adam Dunn as a dishonorable mention.

http://grantland.com/features/mlb-wo...albert-pujols/

Sounds about right.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

I dunno if Danks should rate so high on the list. He was 26 and coming off 5 very good years. Injuries made that contract into a bad one, it was not a bad one when it was signed.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
WSI Personality

His list is only looking at the contracts from here until they expire, it doesn't matter if it looked good at the time.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
His list is only looking at the contracts from here until they expire, it doesn't matter if it looked good at the time.
It was a bad deal. When Kenny couldn't get the Yankees 2 best pitching prospects for Danks, he extended him. Danks was starting to decline before the injury,unless he was pitching hurt, which is possible, he was awfully young to see his production decline like it did.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
I dunno if Danks should rate so high on the list. He was 26 and coming off 5 very good years. Injuries made that contract into a bad one, it was not a bad one when it was signed.
It was a little too much money... but hey no salary cap, right? It shouldn't be on the list though. It wasn't, and still isn't, that bad.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonage View Post
It was a bad deal. When Kenny couldn't get the Yankees 2 best pitching prospects for Danks, he extended him. Danks was starting to decline before the injury,unless he was pitching hurt, which is possible, he was awfully young to see his production decline like it did.
I agree, but it didn't look bad enough to belong on THIS list at the time.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM
WSI Prelate

When you put the contract in perspective vs the other high revenue teams on the list, it is a crippling contract for a team like the Sox.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 AM
WSI High Priest

It was not that bad of a deal when we signed it, but I agree the timing was funny. Danks had a down 2011, but he was a freaking 5 WAR pitcher 3 years in a row before that, with a 6 WAR mixed in. Had he ever had any support, he might have won a Cy Young. He was pitching in Chris Sale territory.

Its just bad luck, plain and simple. We signed out Ace (yes, he was better than Burls during that stretch) to a long term deal and then he had a bad shoulder injury and had surgery. It happens
Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It was not that bad of a deal when we signed it, but I agree the timing was funny. Danks had a down 2011, but he was a freaking 5 WAR pitcher 3 years in a row before that, with a 6 WAR mixed in. Had he ever had any support, he might have won a Cy Young. He was pitching in Chris Sale territory.

Its just bad luck, plain and simple. We signed out Ace (yes, he was better than Burls during that stretch) to a long term deal and then he had a bad shoulder injury and had surgery. It happens
I don't think Danks was ever anywhere near Chris Sale territory, but he was a very good pitcher. Danks' poor 2011 season was a potential red flag (I also don't remember if he was on the DL that year or not) but it did seem to be a blip. It was a good deal at the time but as you mentioned, the injuries were just bad luck.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think Danks was ever anywhere near Chris Sale territory, but he was a very good pitcher. Danks' poor 2011 season was a potential red flag (I also don't remember if he was on the DL that year or not) but it did seem to be a blip. It was a good deal at the time but as you mentioned, the injuries were just bad luck.
I did not think so too, but the numbers don't lie. Dank's WARS 2008-2010 were 6.0 - 5.0 - 5.4. tremendous numbers.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Before the injury, I thought Danks was a great #3, but it will come down to what he does this year to see what kind of contract this will be. I think if he is our 4th best starter, I would call that a win.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

For every 15 bad contacts, there are a bunch where the team is getting a massive deal, especially with younger players so in a way it evens out.

But, the worst contact in baseball is Nick Swisher. 4 years/56 Million. Nick Swisher is going to be paid $15 Million dollars this year! That guy isn't anywhere near that type of money.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
WSI Personality

Reds just signed Homer Bailey to a 6/105 deal. Guess they wanted to ensure a spot in this column next season.

Reminds me a bit of the ill-advised Danks contract, except that Danks was much better than Bailey at that point.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I did not think so too, but the numbers don't lie. Dank's WARS 2008-2010 were 6.0 - 5.0 - 5.4. tremendous numbers.
I knew Danks was good during that stretch but I didn't realize he had been matching Sale in WAR. Interesting. I would imagine Sale still leads in the K/BB ratio, E.R.A. and other traditional pitching metrics though which probably pushes him beyond Danks. You are right though that he had some of the worst run support around. Lots of hard luck no decisions and hard luck losses. Prior to the injury, I always personally thought of Danks as a #2 where Sale seems to be a pure #1.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
John Danks places #7, Adam Dunn as a dishonorable mention.
If this list is done a year or two ago, does anyone disagree that Dunn would have been on the list?

As far as #1, Yanks are lucky that A-Rod was suspended for the year to save them $25 million. I bet they were hoping for a lifetime ban to get out of that contract. Knowing A-Rod's situation, the only buyout he'll take to "retire" is full value.