White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 PM
WSI Personality

Default Petition for MLB Network to air Dock Ellis no-no

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...er-on-LSD.html
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM
WSI Guru

One disappointment I have had with MLB Network, as great as it has been, has been the lack of classic unedited games being shown similar to what ESPN Classic used to do. I always asssumed that MLB would start showing old All-Star Games, old NBC Games of the Week, maybe classic regional network games from the 70s and 80s. The natural fit, especially during the offseason, is to run these during the middle of the day and let people dvr them. They do show partial old games in some of the series they do (ie Greatest Games) but its only a few innings wrapped around Costas interviewing someone.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
One disappointment I have had with MLB Network, as great as it has been, has been the lack of classic unedited games being shown similar to what ESPN Classic used to do. I always asssumed that MLB would start showing old All-Star Games, old NBC Games of the Week, maybe classic regional network games from the 70s and 80s. The natural fit, especially during the offseason, is to run these during the middle of the day and let people dvr them. They do show partial old games in some of the series they do (ie Greatest Games) but its only a few innings wrapped around Costas interviewing someone.
I don't get why they don't show more classic games during the off-season. Do they really need to air "Intentional Talk" so many times? There have been months where even on MLB Tonight (or Hot Stove) where there is maybe 5 minutes of baseball discussion and the rest is talking about whatever movie MLB Network will be airing that night.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't get why they don't show more classic games during the off-season. Do they really need to air "Intentional Talk" so many times? There have been months where even on MLB Tonight (or Hot Stove) where there is maybe 5 minutes of baseball discussion and the rest is talking about whatever movie MLB Network will be airing that night.
Thanks for reminding me. Yes, I think I've seen Major League II about a dozen times this offseason. Why not throw the '78 All-Star Game on or the Red Sox/White Sox Opening Day 1981 or Cubs/Cardinals 1984 Sandberg game.

Last edited by Brian26; 02-06-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me. Yes, I think I've seen Major League II about a dozen times this offseason. Why not throw the '78 All-Star Game on or the Red Sox/White Sox Opening Day 1981 or Cubs/Cardinals 1984 Sandburg game.
I have no idea. I know that the NBA Network will air classic games but I don't know if I have seen any on NFL Network or the NHL Network either.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Dock Ellis...that appears as Ellis,D. on the roster card. What are the stinking odds?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

The one and only:

Apparently, there's a new Dock Ellis "Dockumentary" with a soundtrack by Adrock of the Beastie Boys...here's a story from a couple days ago:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...g-on-acid.html

Last edited by TheVulture; 02-07-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Their answer probably is that you can see many classic games if you subscribe to MLB.TV, including Buehrle's Perfecto and Game 4 of the 2005 WS.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Apparently the programming people at MLB believe they can get and keep more viewers by not showing unedited classic games, just as MTV programmers believed they could get more viewers by moving away from music videos and the History Channel programmers believed they would be better off running a high percentage of speculative history with only the most tenuous connection to any sort of scientific or academic reasoning.

Everyone is chasing audience share, even if they allege to be aimed a serious niche audience. There was a time when Bravo would show unedited operas, ballets and symphonies. The mission of the History Channel, for example, isn't to educate people about history, which actually was programming I used to enjoy. It is to attract and keep viewers. MLB also promotes baseball, so it is more restrictive while striving for audience share, but that reveals another reason the network would have no interesting in showing the Doc Ellis LSD no-hitter.

If you are promoting baseball as drug-free, you aren't going to celebrate a great achievement someone under the influence of LSD.