White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Default Indians to give Jim Thome a statue

So says SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...ap/?xid=si_mlb
Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 PM
WSI Prelate

I hope they don't boo it.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Check out Thome's wiki page. It's the only wiki page I've ever seen that includes a section dedicated to describing what a nice guy somebody is.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Well, he isn't Mo Greene.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-27-2014, 12:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
This was my reaction as well. I've always felt Tribe fans acted disgracefully towards Jim with the booing. They need to get over themselves. Thome did what every other MLB free agent usually does which is take the best offer on the table. In the case of the Phillies, Jim was offered a considerable amount more money than the Tribe was offering and a chance to play on a contender.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
This was my reaction as well. I've always felt Tribe fans acted disgracefully towards Jim with the booing. They need to get over themselves. Thome did what every other MLB free agent usually does which is take the best offer on the table. In the case of the Phillies, Jim was offered a considerable amount more money than the Tribe was offering and a chance to play on a contender.

I completely agree with you. But Sox fans booed Magglio under similar circumstances when he returned to the Cell as a member of the Tigers. And yes, I'm aware of the entire medical records "controversy" blah, blah, blah. Still didn't make it right. I'm happy that Cleveland is doing right by Thome -- and the Indian fans cheered for him when he returned a couple of Septembers ago as a player.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
-- and the Indian fans cheered for him when he returned a couple of Septembers ago as a player.
And then he was in Baltimore the following year. I wonder if they booed him as an Oriole?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I completely agree with you. But Sox fans booed Magglio under similar circumstances when he returned to the Cell as a member of the Tigers. And yes, I'm aware of the entire medical records "controversy" blah, blah, blah. Still didn't make it right. I'm happy that Cleveland is doing right by Thome -- and the Indian fans cheered for him when he returned a couple of Septembers ago as a player.
The Thome situation and the Maggs situation is apples and oranges. I see no comparison there. Even if you gloss over the medical records, Magglio turned down a huge guaranteed offer from the White Sox. Again, disregarding the medical records fiasco, (and it was a big fiasco) he took the exact same offer from a terrible Tigers team within our own division and his contract there was loaded with injury clauses that protected the Tigers from Magglio's knee issues. The Sox version of the contract had no such clauses. It was a messy, messy divorce likely orchestrated by Boras and Magglio ended up looking really bad in the end. Look at all the other former players that have come back here in other uniforms and get applause: Thome (Twins), AJ (Rangers), Thomas (A's), Buehrle (Blue Jays), Crede (Twins), and so on. There was a reason Maggs was booed.

Thome was offered a token low ball contract from Indians management in 2002 to stay with the rebuilding Indians. He was then offered a gigantic contract for way more money to play with a contending Phillies team. Thome's situation was vastly different than the Magglio mess. It was a standard "free agent leaves town for greener pastures" scenario that fanbases endure constantly in the modern era of baseball. I stand by my statement that Jim deserved better from Tribe fans.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
The Thome situation and the Maggs situation is apples and oranges. I see no comparison there. Even if you gloss over the medical records, Magglio turned down a huge guaranteed offer from the White Sox. Again, disregarding the medical records fiasco, (and it was a big fiasco) he took the exact same offer from a terrible Tigers team within our own division and his contract there was loaded with injury clauses that protected the Tigers from Magglio's knee issues. The Sox version of the contract had no such clauses. It was a messy, messy divorce likely orchestrated by Boras and Magglio ended up looking really bad in the end. Look at all the other former players that have come back here in other uniforms and get applause: Thome (Twins), AJ (Rangers), Thomas (A's), Buehrle (Blue Jays), Crede (Twins), and so on. There was a reason Maggs was booed.

Thome was offered a token low ball contract from Indians management in 2002 to stay with the rebuilding Indians. He was then offered a gigantic contract for way more money to play with a contending Phillies team. Thome's situation was vastly different than the Magglio mess. It was a standard "free agent leaves town for greener pastures" scenario that fanbases endure constantly in the modern era of baseball. I stand by my statement that Jim deserved better from Tribe fans.
Isn't that because the Sox offered the contract to Ordonez prior to his knee injury? Ordonez was hoping for a better offer, got hurt, and then his agent wouldn't share medical records with the Sox. Maggs and Boras were obviously dead set against resigning with the Sox. At least that's my recollection. I agree --- two very different situations.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSoxFan View Post
Isn't that because the Sox offered the contract to Ordonez prior to his knee injury? Ordonez was hoping for a better offer, got hurt, and then his agent wouldn't share medical records with the Sox. Maggs and Boras were obviously dead set against resigning with the Sox. At least that's my recollection. I agree --- two very different situations.
My recollection is that the Sox offer was on the table late in 2004 when Magglio was still hurt, but they wanted to view his medical records first since he had some stealth knee operation in Europe without the team's knowledge. There were no performance clauses in the contract though. Boras and Magglio declined to share this data with the Sox. I agree that it seemed they were set against him coming back and Boras miscalculated the market for him.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
The Sox kept their offer on the table after the knee injury, something they really didn't have to do.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Beat me to it. I hope this helps them except he's going into the Hall wearing their cap.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
The Sox kept their offer on the table after the knee injury, something they really didn't have to do.
Maggs had the mysterious surgery in Europe after the season ended an he was a free agent. Boarass refused to share the records with any team. Detroit was the only team willing to risk signing him. The contract allowed the Tigers to cancel it if in the first year Maggs missed a certain number of games due to the knee that was worked on. Conveniently enough, Maggs developed a hernia in mid-April which forced him to miss most of the season meaning he could not possibly miss enough games due to the knee to kill the contract.

In hindsight, we all know the contract worked out well for both sides, but at the time it was risky and hernia was always looked at with suspicion by many people.....
Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Maggs had the mysterious surgery in Europe after the season ended an he was a free agent. Boarass refused to share the records with any team. Detroit was the only team willing to risk signing him. The contract allowed the Tigers to cancel it if in the first year Maggs missed a certain number of games due to the knee that was worked on. Conveniently enough, Maggs developed a hernia in mid-April which forced him to miss most of the season meaning he could not possibly miss enough games due to the knee to kill the contract.

In hindsight, we all know the contract worked out well for both sides, but at the time it was risky and hernia was always looked at with suspicion by many people.....
And I still haven't read a compelling reason which would have justified Sox fans booing Magglio.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
And I still haven't read a compelling reason which would have justified Sox fans booing Magglio.
As stated many times in the posts above, it was the circumstances regarding the way Magglio departed from the team is what rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way. I personally never booed Magglio but I can completely understand why fans would be upset.

The Thome situation in Cleveland on the other hand, I will never understand nor do I see the comparison to Ordonez. The Thome venom went far beyond what AJ endured in Minnesota or what Magglio endured in Chicago. Thome would get lustily booed with each AB and incessantly catcalled when he was in the on deck circle in Cleveland. They absolutely hated his guts.