White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM
WSI Personality

I thought they'd do a little more and I sure hope they add to this list.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that some teams have given away replica Hall of Fame plaques and thought that would be a cool Frank item to have this year. I've seen teams give away mini Gold Glove award replicas too and wished they would have done that for Buehrle when he was here. Seems like the "one statue & a couple bobbleheads" template was brought out again.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Love the Father Daughter Day addition.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
I thought they'd do a little more and I sure hope they add to this list.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that some teams have given away replica Hall of Fame plaques and thought that would be a cool Frank item to have this year. I've seen teams give away mini Gold Glove award replicas too and wished they would have done that for Buehrle when he was here. Seems like the "one statue & a couple bobbleheads" template was brought out again.
The Brewers have eight bobblehead days, and all fans get them. A shame Milwaukee can kick Chicago's butt in this department.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Love the Father Daughter Day addition.
It's not new - I know they've had it for at least a few years.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Cubs' promotional schedule includes 10 bobblehead days:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3772174.story
Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
It's not new - I know they've had it for at least a few years.
Oh wow! Well, my first girl was born in July, so its new to me haha
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Cubs' promotional schedule includes 10 bobblehead days:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3772174.story
They are pulling out all the stops for the 100 years at Wrigley.

Only 10,000 will be given out of each of the bobbles. That is kinda crappy. I'd rather see 5 at 20k then 10 at 10k. Some of them aren't even Cubs. Sadly we don't have 100 years of history at the Cell.

I think next year, for the 10 year of '05, the Sox will go all out. I hope so anyways. I think the LaRussa should have been given out last year. Not sure who on the current team they could do a bobble of besides Sale.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskey2000 View Post
The Brewers have eight bobblehead days, and all fans get them. A shame Milwaukee can kick Chicago's butt in this department.
When it comes to marketing and promotions, I'm pretty sure minor league teams do a better job than the Sox.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
WSI Prelate

So excited. Though this is my second year living out of state, I am getting MLB extra innings to compensate for the lack of White Sox baseball and I am scheduling every trip to Chicago around our Sox.

Damn, I miss baseball.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM

It does say on the bottom more theme nights, giveaways and events would be added on when they are finalized so hopefully they add some stuff for Big Hurt
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
I think next year, for the 10 year of '05, the Sox will go all out. I hope so anyways. I think the LaRussa should have been given out last year. Not sure who on the current team they could do a bobble of besides Sale.
Get ready to be disappointed.

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 AM
WSI Personality

If they're going to have a bobblehead of La Russa, I wish they would have bobbleheads of former White Sox HOF players like Faber, Appling, Lyons and even Bill Veeck. I also wish they would have more than one statue giveaway every year. As it stands now it will take another 4 years to have a complete collection of the statues.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Get ready to be disappointed.
Oh I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's '05, that is a HUGE money maker for them.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
Oh I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's '05, that is a HUGE money maker for them.
You really think so? What kind of events would you do next year involving 2005 that would be a "HUGE money maker"? I'm not being a jerk, I really want to know if I'm missing something. All I can see that they would/could do is bring in players for autograph sessions and have some 2005 themed giveaways, which I guess in theory would somewhat raise the attendance for those games, but I don't think it would lead to a big string of sellouts or anything.

Here's what they'll probably do (if even this much): Have a 2005 player signing autographs every Sunday. Throughout the season, give away a 2005 blanket and hat and poster. Maybe a statue replica of the sculpture outside the park. Maybe a Paul Konerko Grand Slam bobblehead or something. Maybe a 2005 team reunion night. I don't see big money there.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
You really think so? What kind of events would you do next year involving 2005 that would be a "HUGE money maker"? I'm not being a jerk, I really want to know if I'm missing something. All I can see that they would/could do is bring in players for autograph sessions and have some 2005 themed giveaways, which I guess in theory would somewhat raise the attendance for those games, but I don't think it would lead to a big string of sellouts or anything.

Here's what they'll probably do (if even this much): Have a 2005 player signing autographs every Sunday. Throughout the season, give away a 2005 blanket and hat and poster. Maybe a statue replica of the sculpture outside the park. Maybe a Paul Konerko Grand Slam bobblehead or something. Maybe a 2005 team reunion night. I don't see big money there.
Did you go to SoxFest last year ('13)? The only seminar that was packed was the '05 guys with Hawk. The lines for all of those guys autographs were full right away. Even this year for Jenks. The attention for those ex-players is huge. So yes, I do think that them being at a game Sunday signing for the kids would be a draw.

No promotion(s) will lead to a string of sellouts. Also, if the team is 15 games back by June, no promotion is gonna bring them in. So you have to hope that the team you put on the field will sell on it's own. The extra stuff might attract some fringe folk, especially to games that people don't normally go to.

If they compete this year for the division, some of our new guys make a statement on the field, the team finds a voice, it will carry over to next year. Leave the ticket prices the same, promote the heck out of the 10 year for '05 that might bring a bunch of folks back. Just little things, like maybe take a picture with the trophy for a $5 donation to Sox Charity. They have been building up the ball park experience, just keep it going. Not to mention all the '05 merch they can sell.

As a Fighting Illini fan, '05 was a big year for basketball too. Even a Dee Brown bobblehead would bring some people in, I think. Maybe an '05 reunion of that team too. Bulls made the playoffs that year again for the first time since '98. New opening video. Remind people of that season.

I don't think it's an exact science and a bunch of it depends on how well the team does. The Sox don't have the benefit of a Wrigleyville to distract and attract fans. So they have to win. Maybe start their own "MLB's Largest Tailgate" section in the parking lot.

I've been wrong plenty, I just hope they understand the enormous power that is '05 and harness that to sell some tickets. I think the right marketing campaign could easily win some fans back if the team is halfway decent.