White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Well, that's quite the hyperbolic generalization. You're equating gameday promotions and in-house entertainment with the Sox uniforms. OK.

Basically, the Sox had crappy uniforms for about 30 years and were the laughing stock of baseball because of it. In baseball, the team's identity is associated with the uniform, and the really classic franchises through major league history have maintained the same uniforms, generally (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Tigers). It's symbolic. Baseball is about tradition.

Promotions come and go. Major league teams spend millions of dollars on marketing departments and advertising. To keep the same promotions every year shows a lack of effort. Mullet Night is just a completely horrible idea to begin with because it is based off a stereotype. To have this promotion for like ten years in a row shows an incredible amount of laziness and lack of effort. But, notwithstanding that, it seems most people are generally concerned about the lack of fresh ideas coming out of the office.

I won't pick apart everything. I don't think the uniforms should be jacked with at all. I like Elvis Night and Halfway to St. Pat's. I like bobbleheads. I think Dog Day and Mullet Night are tired ideas that should be scrapped.
If you look around the league, Dog Day is now a part of several teams' promotions. The dog portion always sells out. It has been so popular the Sox have had a couple of them a year the past few seasons.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Banned

Went to Star Wars Day last year, that was pretty cool...
Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
I've said it in another thread before, but if Boyer was in the same position of a finely tuned machine/organization, he'd be great. Unfortunately, the Sox are not a finely tuned machine/organization and could use some work.

He's so full of it too. Just go to B&B today and listen to hour one at about 19:00 to see what I'm talking about. He talks about wanting the fans to leave feeling like they've had a great experience. Having been many other places in MLB to watch games, the Sox aren't even close to providing a great experience at the park.
I agree- once you've visited many of the other ballparks the gap between the White Sox and most other teams/stadiums is pretty clear-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Banned

I really have no clue how I'm still employed, but hey don't forget to grow out your mullets.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM
WSI Personality

They had a Beatle's theme game for a while. I think they started it on the anniversary of the of Beatles playing at old Comiskey and kept it going. I think it was just dropped it a few years ago. The fact that so few people know about it goes to show how popular it was. It was not nearly as popular as Elvis night which contrary to some of the opinions here is one of the top 5 selling games every year and will continue to be for years to come. While it is no longer original it is still a really fun experience. It's one of the few games my kids insist on attending. For the record I like the Beatles a lot more than Elvis.

I just looked at the cubs promo schedule and it is really impressive. That Babe Ruth called shot bobblehead would be very cool. It will be worth a ton on ebay to die hard Yankees fans. Lot's of throwback items:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/schedule...s.jsp?c_id=chc
Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

What I love about this site and Sox fans in general-

Sox fan- "Brooks sucks. How does he still have a job? The Sox need new and fresh ideas."

Sox go out and do something as trivial as limiting the role of the organ player or getting rid of a patch on the jersey or trying to change the pregame video and the fanbase FREAKS.

Your screwed no matter what you do.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
What I love about this site and Sox fans in general-

Sox fan- "Brooks sucks. How does he still have a job? The Sox need new and fresh ideas."

Sox go out and do something as trivial as limiting the role of the organ player or getting rid of a patch on the jersey or trying to change the pregame video and the fanbase FREAKS.

Your screwed no matter what you do.
Limiting the role of the organ player is not a "fresh idea"- it's just following the herd- after Nancy Faust was such a great tradition for 30+ years and created a very unique (and now disappearing) tradition of Na-Na after a big home run or knocking a pitcher out of the game.

The orginal pre-game video was widely praised- the new one isn't very well done- I don't think Sox fans are against GOOD new ideas- just against bad ideas or badly executed ideas.

Why eliminating the patch would be considered a "fresh idea" is beyond me (don't really care about that one much)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I agree- once you've visited many of the other ballparks the gap between the White Sox and most other teams/stadiums is pretty clear-
I would disagree and I have been to all but 5 MLB parks. I would put the Sox in the middle of the pack (yeah, their upper deck rule sucks). Sure the giveaways are different. The Sox have less bobbleheads or blankets but they other stuff especially for the kids which are better than other parks. If you want to have good promotions go to the minor league games that is where some of the best work is done. Give a winning team, reasonable priced tix and concessions and helpful ushers or ushers that do their job. That would make me happy.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM
WSI Personality

Most Sox fans agree that there was no POINT in replacing the "sock" patch on the road greys and there was no point in changing the opening intro at games. They were both well liked. Mullet night is lame, Elvis can stay, just add some fresh ideas. I'd rather have an Abreu Bobble then an Alexei. There are so many things that can be done that Boyer doesn't even consider

Jeff

1.Cubs

3. Indians

2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox
Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzer31 View Post
There are so many things that can be done that Boyer doesn't even consider

Jeff
How do you know what Boyer considers?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Went to an autograph signing there a few months ago, and my buddy that works there said "I'm glad we're doing these, otherwise I wouldn't see any of you until the season started". I know it will never happen but I'd love to see the Cell as an off-season attraction. Have a half-way to the opener day or something.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Went to an autograph signing there a few months ago, and my buddy that works there said "I'm glad we're doing these, otherwise I wouldn't see any of you until the season started". I know it will never happen but I'd love to see the Cell as an off-season attraction. Have a half-way to the opener day or something.
There was a STH autograph/meet Hawk and Stone event there last week.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
I would disagree and I have been to all but 5 MLB parks. I would put the Sox in the middle of the pack (yeah, their upper deck rule sucks). Sure the giveaways are different. The Sox have less bobbleheads or blankets but they other stuff especially for the kids which are better than other parks. If you want to have good promotions go to the minor league games that is where some of the best work is done. Give a winning team, reasonable priced tix and concessions and helpful ushers or ushers that do their job. That would make me happy.
The biggest gripe I have with what the White Sox have going on at the park is the friendliness of the staff. At almost every other park I've gone to, the staff (all around the park, from usher to concession worker) has been friendly, engaging, helpful, etc. At the Cell, that has no way been my consistent experience. In fact, the times I've had interactions that would lead me to say "Wow, they're really going out of their way to make me feel at home" are so foreign that every single one of them sticks out in my memory. And on top of that, I have zero memories that stick out from other parks where I go "Wow, what jerks."

And I hate the excuse (and I really don't care) that the city, ISFA, vendors, or whoever has handcuffed you into having to hire specific employees. At the end of the day you're in a partnership with all of those entities and if you need to go out of your way to let those parties know (or employees know) what you're looking for out of them every single day, you get off your ass and do so until you're blue in the face and make sure they know/change.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

I feel that this promotions thread has been beaten to death, but when you see the scheduled promos it makes you nuts.

Probably more than any other professional team in town, the Sox have the most to gain from good promotions. Unlike Bulls, Hawks, and Bears, which play to full houses, the Sox can move the attendance needle for a game with a unique promotion ( taking it to the extreme, see Disco Demolition night.) Giveaways are part of that. Not only can they draw, but the first 10,000 limit tends to have people line up at the gates at 5:00. And get them in the park early. Think they may have a hot dog and a beer? The Sox promos seem limited in number by their ability to get sponsorship, without some bean counting to determine whether they would pay for themselves in gate and concessions.

As for the tired nature of the current list of dates, Mullet Night should absolutely be retired. It's a stupid affirmation of an outdated Sox fan stereotype. The rest are fine since people seem to enjoy them.

And again I plead, hire the Blackhawks scoreboard folks and have them put together a professional opening video montage. That thing last year with "The Show" and whatever that clip rehash was supposed to be looked like the Middle School AV club presentation.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
WSI Regular

The parking lot attendants in the cash lots are a bunch of *******s.