White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Beckham, De Aza, Alexei for Tanaka.
Tanaka has a full no-trade clause.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Maybe they can snag Arroyo and watch his ERA finally balloon within the hitters' ballpark.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Maybe they can snag Arroyo and watch his ERA finally balloon within the hitters' ballpark.
Great American Ballpark is basically identical to U.S. Cellular Field by Park Factor:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Great American Ballpark is basically identical to U.S. Cellular Field by Park Factor:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor
I've been wrong a lot lately!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I've been wrong a lot lately!
"Lately?"
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
They very well could, but having a top farm system doesn't guarantee big league success. My point is that everyone on their team is expendable for the right price.
Castro isn't a FA until 2017, so they're in no rush to dump him. The Astros added payroll this offseason and their first wave of good prospects are hitting the big league level over the next year, so IMO their previous plan of moving any good big leaguers for prospects is over for the time being.

I've heard talk that they may move Castro to 1B if his health issues pop up again to keep his bat in the lineup, and Stassi is at least a year away from factoring at catcher.

Given similar or improved numbers, I see them signing Castro to an Altuve-like deal at some point this year.

Besides, who do the Sox have that would entice the Astros into dumping him?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Absolutely do not trade for Castro. Same mistake we've been making. Take anything we have in the farm, any surplus at all, to add to a thin ML team. Castro's had one good year...smart of Astros to sell high, esp when they have a guy they like better. And we're still pitching thin.
Continue to shop De Aza.

Play Keppinger and hope he has a hot start, and then foist him on the Yankees or someone else. HOpe Dunn hits well..he's a prime July trade. Same with Alexei Take low minor players with promise for these guys..that's fine. We're still a bottom 1/3 farm. Thankfully, Hahn hasn't traded any prospects of note.

Give Beckham 1 more year. After 2014 season, we'll have a much better feel for how we stand with Semien, Beckham and Johnson....then one can be dealt for some quality.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Absolutely do not trade for Castro. Same mistake we've been making. Take anything we have in the farm, any surplus at all, to add to a thin ML team. Castro's had one good year...smart of Astros to sell high, esp when they have a guy they like better. And we're still pitching thin.
Continue to shop De Aza.

Play Keppinger and hope he has a hot start, and then foist him on the Yankees or someone else. HOpe Dunn hits well..he's a prime July trade. Same with Alexei Take low minor players with promise for these guys..that's fine. We're still a bottom 1/3 farm. Thankfully, Hahn hasn't traded any prospects of note.

Give Beckham 1 more year. After 2014 season, we'll have a much better feel for how we stand with Semien, Beckham and Johnson....then one can be dealt for some quality.
Good post.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 AM
WSI Personality

The Sox should take a look at Ervin Santana, Andrew Bailey, Francisco Rodriguez, and maybe Scott Baker. Also continue to trade for a catcher and move DeAza.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
The Sox should take a look at Ervin Santana, Andrew Bailey, Francisco Rodriguez, and maybe Scott Baker. Also continue to trade for a catcher and move DeAza.
Santana is about to get mind-blowingly overpaid, most likely by Toronto. No thanks.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Santana is about to get mind-blowingly overpaid, most likely by Toronto. No thanks.
Yeah, Santana is the kind of deal you make when you think you're 1 more arm away from having something really great, not the kind of guy you sign when you're still rebuilding.

I'd go either way on Castro, really would depend on the price. I don't really see the argument to sit and hoard prospects, especially the ones the Sox have right now. We have no real blue-chip, game-changing prospects, we have a bunch of middle of the road guys who are, at best, a coin flip to even being average MLB players. Guys like Semien, Micah Johnson, Chris Beck, etc. Castro is a former Top 10 overall pick, Top 100 prospect who fills, by far, our biggest short-term and long-term need, so while I wouldn't give up the sky for him, the Sox have been pretty creative during the short Hahn Era at finding ways to make these things work.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Yeah, Santana is the kind of deal you make when you think you're 1 more arm away from having something really great, not the kind of guy you sign when you're still rebuilding.

I'd go either way on Castro, really would depend on the price. I don't really see the argument to sit and hoard prospects, especially the ones the Sox have right now. We have no real blue-chip, game-changing prospects, we have a bunch of middle of the road guys who are, at best, a coin flip to even being average MLB players. Guys like Semien, Micah Johnson, Chris Beck, etc. Castro is a former Top 10 overall pick, Top 100 prospect who fills, by far, our biggest short-term and long-term need, so while I wouldn't give up the sky for him, the Sox have been pretty creative during the short Hahn Era at finding ways to make these things work.
I'd rather sign Johann than Ervin. I'd assume he could be had on a cheap 1 year deal. See if he can prove himself and flip him at the deadline.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

The prospects are at least currency. And any prospect that turns out average in the majors, is better than what we've been getting out of LF, 3B, 2B and catcher; and last year, the bullpen.
C is our most obvious hole, but the Sox also have a problem at 2B (we'll see on Beckham), SS soon enough and LF (waiting on Vic). We're hoping we have a long term answer at 3rd, but he's a prospect too. And after that, no depth at all. We have 2 rookie pitchers in the rotation. The bullpen still lacks quality at the bottom. Sox have a lot of work to do. We'll be in a much better position a year from now to say "we can plug one or two holes and win" than we are now.
Castro at the price of Davidson would be fine...but he'll be twice the price of Davidson.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The prospects are at least currency. And any prospect that turns out average in the majors, is better than what we've been getting out of LF, 3B, 2B and catcher; and last year, the bullpen.
C is our most obvious hole, but the Sox also have a problem at 2B (we'll see on Beckham), SS soon enough and LF (waiting on Vic). We're hoping we have a long term answer at 3rd, but he's a prospect too. And after that, no depth at all. We have 2 rookie pitchers in the rotation. The bullpen still lacks quality at the bottom. Sox have a lot of work to do. We'll be in a much better position a year from now to say "we can plug one or two holes and win" than we are now.
Castro at the price of Davidson would be fine...but he'll be twice the price of Davidson.
I agree on most of this except for the part about SS...Alexei is a solid shortstop who gives decent offensive output, has speed, and for most part can be an above average defender. Plus our first round pick was a SS too right?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Yea, he does a good job. But he is kind of expensive, getting up in age, and we were trying, or at least willing, to move him last summer.