White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 05:11 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Team has Money to Spend

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN Here's an in-depth look at the factors in the #WhiteSox chances of signing Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka.

In terms of the money there is more than enough to win, Hahn said last month at the winter meetings. We dont feel any constraint by what were going to be spending. There is absolutely the potential, whether its July or the next offseason, to make that additional long-term impactful signing and well have the wherewithal to do that.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/...ka-sweepstakes
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Kind of a confusing quote, there. Article is saying the Sox could sign Tanaka within 9 days, but the quote talks about making a big signing in mid-season (via trade or trade and sign, I guess) or next off-season. Which if I were the Sox, would make sense...keep that money in your pocket coming off a 99-loss season and see how things unfold over the first half of a season where little is expected before dropping 9 figures on anyone.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Kind of a confusing quote, there. Article is saying the Sox could sign Tanaka within 9 days, but the quote talks about making a big signing in mid-season (via trade or trade and sign, I guess) or next off-season. Which if I were the Sox, would make sense...keep that money in your pocket coming off a 99-loss season and see how things unfold over the first half of a season where little is expected before dropping 9 figures on anyone.
I think when its mentioned about a possible midseason move, that is dreaming the impossible dream and the Sox are contending at that point.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Banned

I think Hahn fully intends to be in the running, dollar-wise, to sign Tanaka. He didn't sit down the Robin, Kenny, and Tanaka's party just to do due diligence. The dollars were pretty up there before that point.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

They have so many holes. A lot of that money needs to be reinvested in scouting and development.

On the other hand, Reinsdorf's getting older. Maybe his health isn't what it used to be, and he's thinking about selling, or about spending his way back to the WS.

Tanaka's an interesting test case. He's young enough and has a high enough ceiling to fit in either scenario, but the price tag will only make sense for a team trying to contend right away.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
They have so many holes. A lot of that money needs to be reinvested in scouting and development.

On the other hand, Reinsdorf's getting older. Maybe his health isn't what it used to be, and he's thinking about selling, or about spending his way back to the WS.

Tanaka's an interesting test case. He's young enough and has a high enough ceiling to fit in either scenario, but the price tag will only make sense for a team trying to contend right away.
I still don't like the idea of the Sox signing Tanaka to a big contract. Not because he's not good, but he's unproven. With that said, if he pans out, two stud pitchers can take you a long way.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
I still don't like the idea of the Sox signing Tanaka to a big contract. Not because he's not good, but he's unproven. With that said, if he pans out, two stud pitchers can take you a long way.
Ditto.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
WSI Regular

Does anyone have a sense of what kind of impact signing Tanaka would have in terms of marketing opportunities in Japan?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:12 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox may have money, but still too many holes. We have more work to do this offseason, then another offseason like this one, and we could be set. But we aren't right now and a FA pitcher won't change that.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 PM
MMXXIII

Reading between the lines, I get the idea that Rick is saying the Sox will make a serious offer for Tanaka but he expects to be outbid by a bigger fish like the Dodgers, Red Sox, or Yankees, but fans shouldn't worry that the team is going to be going cheap forever.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Does anyone have a sense of what kind of impact signing Tanaka would have in terms of marketing opportunities in Japan?
I just saw an article on boston.com that said Nomo, Ichiro, and Matsui all generated plenty of extra profit for their teams, but Matsuzaka was a flop. I guess it depends on how he performs.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Trying to sell Soxfest tickets, obviously.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
...keep that money in your pocket coming off a 99-loss season and see how things unfold over the first half of a season where little is expected before dropping 9 figures on anyone.
Except there's not going to be a Tanaka available every off-season...it's not often a 26 year old ace is available on the FA market.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Except there's not going to be a Tanaka available every off-season...it's not often a 26 year old ace is available on the FA market.
Great, and even good consistent pitching is so hard to come by. Look at all the money the Twins gave to 3 mediocre pitchers this offseason -- and this still seem to want to add more. Look at what the Royals gave up for 2 years of James Shields. If we don't have another ace to complement Sale, the Tigers are going to give us a beat down for the next 3 years at least. The Royals are primed for a good run, IMO, and the Twins and Indians certainly aren't acting complacent.

I'm really not so sure the Cubs have more money to throw at Tanaka, technically. It's more that the Sox are not quite the big market team the Cubs are, and to sign Tanaka at the 100-140 mil mark would be unprecedented for a franchise like ours. Not so much the Cubs. They're well used to this as evidenced by Fukudome, Soriano, etc. Add together the cross-town competition and interdivisional competition, this move starts to seem like a do or die decision. At least if we plan to win anything in the next five years. Am I overreacting?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

If there's one move a team can make to turn it around, its obviously to sign an ace pitcher. Considering signing him should have zero impact on the Sox ability to keep Sale around, I'd rather the Sox spend the money on a Tanaka than trying to plug holes with over priced mediocrity that might not do any better than a Marcus Semien, for example, might do. So far, Hahn seems to be trying plug holes by acquiring young players rather than mediocre free agents anyway.