White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

The rotation looked a lot stronger with Santiago in it. Not looking to start a debate on the merits of Santiago, but it'd be nice if the Sox bolstered the rotation. I have a feeling its going to be like Rowand again...a criticized "average" player who none the less proved difficult to replace to the clear detriment of the team. Seems like the Sox have given up too much pitching since the trade deadline without replacing it to me.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:00 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The rotation looked a lot stronger with Santiago in it. Not looking to start a debate on the merits of Santiago, but it'd be nice if the Sox bolstered the rotation. I have a feeling its going to be like Rowand again...a criticized "average" player who none the less proved difficult to replace to the clear detriment of the team. Seems like the Sox have given up too much pitching since the trade deadline without replacing it to me.
Between Johnson, Beck, Reinzo, Bassit, Surkamp, and Snodgress the Sox have plenty of plenty of arms who could realistically replace Santiago's production, some as soon as this year.

Rowand was an "average" player, but he played at an All-Star level for a few years in his post-Sox career. I doubt Santiago will reach such heights. I have a feeling he will be more along the lines of a Clayton Richard, a player the Sox traded so some people will naturally cling to him and only pay attention to his successful outings.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Gee, I can't wait for the Baseball Prospectus one! I predict BP will outdo itself and manage to predict that the Sox will finish 31st in the majors with 168 losses.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 AM
WSI High Priest

I agree with the article. My real hope is, this team gives a **** unlike last years squad. I like and welcome the infusion of young players, knowing it's going to be hard to watch some nights. Looking forward to this season and seeing the young kids grow.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

I would be shocked if Avisail Garcia only hit 15 doubles this year.

The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Between Johnson, Beck, Reinzo, Bassit, Surkamp, and Snodgress the Sox have plenty of plenty of arms who could realistically replace Santiago's production, some as soon as this year.
That's what people said when Rowand was traded. Plus Johnson was already meant to take Peavy's spot...
Old 01-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Rowand was an "average" player, but he played at an All-Star level for a few years in his post-Sox career. I doubt Santiago will reach such heights. I have a feeling he will be more along the lines of a Clayton Richard, a player the Sox traded so some people will naturally cling to him and only pay attention to his successful outings.
I agree replacing Santiago will be easy because we're full of those 5-6 types and someone likely will have a decent season or two. But we shouldn't look to replace him. We should look to acquire players with more upside. Santiago and probably every name you mentioned...those guys are stopgaps.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
That's what people said when Rowand was traded. Plus Johnson was already meant to take Peavy's spot...
So because Brian Anderson didn't pan out, the Sox should never put their faith in a prospect ever again?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
So because Brian Anderson didn't pan out, the Sox should never put their faith in a prospect ever again?
No, but to just expect any old Surkamp or Snodgrass to come in and produce at Santiago's level is ludicrous. Guys who can come in and post a 3.30 ERA over their first 27 starts don't just grow on trees. We already had one spot lined up for Johnson to begin with, we'd be lucky for one of them to come even close let alone two.

And it wasn't just Anderson, the Sox didn't have a decent CFer until DeAza in 2012.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I agree replacing Santiago will be easy because we're full of those 5-6 types
Please...this exactly what I'm talking about. If just anyone could do it, we wouldn't see so many pitchers fail.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I agree replacing Santiago will be easy because we're full of those 5-6 types and someone likely will have a decent season or two. But we shouldn't look to replace him. We should look to acquire players with more upside. Santiago and probably every name you mentioned...those guys are stopgaps.
Johnson and Beck are both much more talented than Santiago, come on. Santiago arguably shouldn't be a starter, both Beck and Johnson are solid mid-rotation prospects.