White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 02:38 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
They claimed that Selig had no right to suspend A-Rod (or Braun) for 211 games since it was against the CBA and JDA. Well, the JDA has language in it (specifically section 7-G) says that a player may be subject to discipline that is not mentioned in the preceding sections (which covers positive tests, recreational drug use, selling banned substances, etc.). The punishments for any this kind of discipline is not covered in the usual 50, 100 game suspensions and is subject to the Commissioner's discretion under the CBA.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf
Hm, just quickly glancing over the pages tagged Alex Rodriguez, Bud Selig, or Biogenesis, I don't see anything that shows they're outright questioning MLB's ability to ban A-Rod.

This piece here, I think shows they have a pretty solid grasp of the CBA and JDA: http://deadspin.com/a-rod-suspension...rom-1499361350

Of course, A-Rod himself in his lawsuit against the MLB questioned Selig's authority to impose this type of a ban under the terms of the CBA and JDA so I'm guessing that is where you are pulling that from: http://www.scribd.com/doc/173358290/A-Rod-Lawsuit

At any rate, I do get that Deadspin has a bit more of an anti-Selig bias than most other sources, but that's only because Selig really, really sucks as a commissioner.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I think it was a bad move by MLB to agree to the interview. They are basically doing a victory lap when it really wasn't needed. No one side is clean in all of this IMO.
It would be nice to see 60 minutes do an expose on the 10+ years MLB turned a blind eye to the blatant steroid use in the game including warnings from the FBI (or DOJ, I forget which) back in the early '90s. Heck, pin a spotlight on "HOF" manager Tony LaRussa and show how his teams were at the epicenter of the steroid bust out.

Agreed that neither side's hands are clean in this and MLB only chose to go after the cheats after it became obvious to everyone what was going on and they could no longer make a buck off of the ShamME*, Mark "I'm not here to talk about the past" McGwire and Barroid show.

Bud wants to be viewed as the guy who saved MLB from steroids, but the truth is he is the one who let it get bad in the first place. Seeing a prime time expose on that simple fact would be teh awesome...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Hm, just quickly glancing over the pages tagged Alex Rodriguez, Bud Selig, or Biogenesis, I don't see anything that shows they're outright questioning MLB's ability to ban A-Rod.

This piece here, I think shows they have a pretty solid grasp of the CBA and JDA: http://deadspin.com/a-rod-suspension...rom-1499361350

Of course, A-Rod himself in his lawsuit against the MLB questioned Selig's authority to impose this type of a ban under the terms of the CBA and JDA so I'm guessing that is where you are pulling that from: http://www.scribd.com/doc/173358290/A-Rod-Lawsuit

At any rate, I do get that Deadspin has a bit more of an anti-Selig bias than most other sources, but that's only because Selig really, really sucks as a commissioner.
There was another article from June or so when the scandal first broke that dealt with Ryan Braun (and to a lesser extent A-Rod) that really questioned if MLB had the authority to suspend them and why that length. In the article you posted, they answered their own question.

I get that Deadspin has a bias and I don't even mind the anti-Selig bias, but I do think that sometimes they let their bias get in the way of their reporting and that is not a good thing.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
There was another article from June or so when the scandal first broke that dealt with Ryan Braun (and to a lesser extent A-Rod) that really questioned if MLB had the authority to suspend them and why that length. In the article you posted, they answered their own question.

I get that Deadspin has a bias and I don't even mind the anti-Selig bias, but I do think that sometimes they let their bias get in the way of their reporting and that is not a good thing.
Their reporting is a lot better than 60 Minutes, but that isn't saying much.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It would be nice to see 60 minutes do an expose on the 10+ years MLB turned a blind eye to the blatant steroid use in the game including warnings from the FBI (or DOJ, I forget which) back in the early '90s. Heck, pin a spotlight on "HOF" manager Tony LaRussa and show how his teams were at the epicenter of the steroid bust out.

Agreed that neither side's hands are clean in this and MLB only chose to go after the cheats after it became obvious to everyone what was going on and they could no longer make a buck off of the ShamME*, Mark "I'm not here to talk about the past" McGwire and Barroid show.

Bud wants to be viewed as the guy who saved MLB from steroids, but the truth is he is the one who let it get bad in the first place. Seeing a prime time expose on that simple fact would be teh awesome...
Remember though that MLB teams are making more money than ever before and teams worth are skyrocketing. TV contracts are huge and players salaries are increasing. Every one associated with the MLB has benefited, was this because of what the bud man did or is doing, I dont know but it sure hasnt hurt.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Their reporting is a lot better than 60 Minutes, but that isn't saying much.
Yea, 60 Minutes has been in a bit of a slump.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:09 PM
WSI Prelate

By the way, A-Rod has filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball AND the Player's Union. The judge hearing the suit also released the arbiter's decision.

http://deadspin.com/arbitrator-calls...rod-1500557193
Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
I think it was a bad move by MLB to agree to the interview. They are basically doing a victory lap when it really wasn't needed. No one side is clean in all of this IMO.
On a site like this, we can all agree that the victory lap wasn't really needed, but we're not the fans that MLB has to worry about satisfying. No matter what happens, we're still watching baseball next spring anyway. MLB brass must think that this type of marketing ploy (which is what I consider it to be) might convince some of the more casual fans that MLB is tougher on cheaters than the other major sports leagues, and comments like the ones Pelley made glorifying Selig conveniently reinforce this message. Plus, this keeps baseball somewhat in people's conversations during the NFL Playoffs, a time when baseball is normally largely forgotten.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yea, 60 Minutes has been in a bit of a slump.
Like A-Rod in the last few years.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

It's a damn shame that he was able to surpass Lou Gehrig's all-time grand slam total before the suspension. Another asterisk in the record books.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
By the way, A-Rod has filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball AND the Player's Union. The judge hearing the suit also released the arbiter's decision.

http://deadspin.com/arbitrator-calls...rod-1500557193
Unbelievable. They'll have to invent a new word to adequately describe the arrogance of Alex Rodriguez. I like this analysis better than any of the others offered to date.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...himself-011414
Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Unbelievable. They'll have to invent a new word to adequately describe the arrogance of Alex Rodriguez. I like this analysis better than any of the others offered to date.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/m...himself-011414
FWIW, if the 162-game suspension is upheld, A-Rod stands to lose something like $22 million so it's not too hard to figure out why he's throwing every Hail Mary he can.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Its also not hard to understand why his legal team is probably pushing it. Thats how they make their money.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
FWIW, if the 162-game suspension is upheld, A-Rod stands to lose something like $22 million so it's not too hard to figure out why he's throwing every Hail Mary he can.
Of course I see your point but like the great philosopher Kenny Rogers (not the pitcher) once sang, "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em."
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Report: MLBPA waned to kick out Rodriquez

According to Jeff Pasan and Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives...out-rodriguez/
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>