White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 PM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 12,756
Default Arbitrator rules against A-Fraud, suspended 162 games

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...vorable-to-mlb


He'll only get into Cooperstown if he buys a ticket at the door.

Granted, he will try to sue in court, but we'll see how successful that ends up being.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 PM
SOX ADDICT '73 SOX ADDICT '73 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orland Hills, IL
Posts: 2,696
Default

If this means that the Yankees are now off the hook for A-Roid's $25 million salary, Masahiro Tanaka may as well start getting fitted for navy pinstripes.
__________________
My man Vincent says:

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
If this means that the Yankees are now off the hook for A-Roid's $25 million salary, Masahiro Tanaka may as well start getting fitted for navy pinstripes.
They are off the contract only for 2014.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Steelrod Steelrod is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,541
Default

Arod didn't think it fair for a single arbitrator to judge him. I am sure the owners would agree to pay him off in return to collect all the arbitrator judgements of the last 35 years that they didn't think fair!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 48,064
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Arod didn't think it fair for a single arbitrator to judge him. I am sure the owners would agree to pay him off in return to collect all the arbitrator judgements of the last 35 years that they didn't think fair!
You are actually suggesting the Arbitrator has or might have been bribed to rule in the owners' favor?
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2014, 02:37 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,654
Default

__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM
SoxFanCPA SoxFanCPA is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
You are actually suggesting the Arbitrator has or might have been bribed to rule in the owners' favor?
I read that to say the owners' would have let ARod have this one if they could reverse the previous 35 years of arbitration rulings against them. Pay off ARod, not the arbitrators.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:00 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
They are off the contract only for 2014.
I think that's what the poster meant. They are off the hook for next season which opens the window for more spending on their part along with luxury tax relief I think.

I don't care for ARod one bit, but:
1) hate that the Yankees benefit from this
2) full year suspension isn't fair IMO based on the rules in play
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:02 PM
RCWHITESOX's Avatar
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 1,072
Default

I myself wish that ARod would just vanish into the sunset and join his fellow cheaters Bonds, Palmero,Sosa, among others. He is just another black eye for MLB.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,503
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I think that's what the poster meant. They are off the hook for next season which opens the window for more spending on their part along with luxury tax relief I think.

I don't care for ARod one bit, but:
1) hate that the Yankees benefit from this
2) full year suspension isn't fair IMO based on the rules in play
The Yankees still owe ARoid a minimum $61 million for 2015, 2016 and 2017, plus incentives/perks. As Dump noted, they clear off $25 mil for 2014, but its premature to pencil Tanaka in.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 48,064
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
I read that to say the owners' would have let ARod have this one if they could reverse the previous 35 years of arbitration rulings against them. Pay off ARod, not the arbitrators.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 48,064
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I think that's what the poster meant. They are off the hook for next season which opens the window for more spending on their part along with luxury tax relief I think.

I don't care for ARod one bit, but:
1) hate that the Yankees benefit from this
2) full year suspension isn't fair IMO based on the rules in play
Rodrquez conspired to cover the data from the clinic up, that's why there was such a harsh punishment. It's not about the steroids, it's about his attempt to prevent MLB from investigating.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 959
Default

This is all about the Yankees saving some money. If he was making league minimum it wouldn't have been pursued.

He'll show up for spring training in 2015. Yankees will have to play him or cut him. Either way, they'll pay him. Which is true justice, considering they had the opportunity to walk away when he opted out of his deal. Instead, they gave him a raise when they were bidding against themselves. Serves them right.

The New York Times published some details about the investigation back in November. This whole mess was definitely about more than "justice".
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Steelrod Steelrod is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
You are actually suggesting the Arbitrator has or might have been bribed to rule in the owners' favor?
Not at all. All I was saying was that the players have benefitted greatly from the arbitration process. THIS player says it's a flawed system because the ruling went against him. The thousands of decisions benefitting the player have taken place without management saying the system needs to be scrubbed.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 48,064
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Not at all. All I was saying was that the players have benefitted greatly from the arbitration process. THIS player says it's a flawed system because the ruling went against him. The thousands of decisions benefitting the player have taken place without management saying the system needs to be scrubbed.
Yeah, I misread it. Someone explained what you meant a few posts down, my apologies.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.