White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #406  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
My prediction? Every time Robinson Cano faces him, he goes Yard. Real deep. Frank Thomas deep.

No money, my ass.
I still find it odd that the Yankees didn't re-sign Cano. Especially with the Tanaka signing seeing them go well past, I think, $189 million in payroll.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Nah. I think it was just the money.
Yep. Matsui could have been doing backflips for Tanaka and I think he still simply took the best offer. He'd be a Dodger if the Yankees didn't throw in the opt-out clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
True. But I think the bellyaching comes from this: Although neither the Tigers nor the Yankees have won anything lately by outspending everyone, they give themselves a chance of getting to the postseason every year. Can't really say that about the Sox. I'm not one of the bellyachers, but I do see their point.
Bingo. How many times have the Yankees missed the playoffs in the last 20 years? Twice? I know 2008 was one time and they rectified that aberration by buying themselves the 2009 World Series title. Other teams can't do that.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,333
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Bingo. How many times have the Yankees missed the playoffs in the last 20 years? Twice? I know 2008 was one time and they rectified that aberration by buying themselves the 2009 World Series title. Other teams can't do that.
This is precisely correct, in the playoffs, the best team does not always win, all you can do is get there and give your self a chance to make it.

And for all the guffawing at the "Little Ceasars" Tigers who haven't won anything, in the past 3 years, the Tigers have been to the ALCS as many times as the Sox have been in my entire life (and 1 of those trips I don't remember because I was born a month before it happened). They're obviously doing something correct.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Bingo. How many times have the Yankees missed the playoffs in the last 20 years? Twice? I know 2008 was one time and they rectified that aberration by buying themselves the 2009 World Series title. Other teams can't do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This is precisely correct, in the playoffs, the best team does not always win, all you can do is get there and give your self a chance to make it.

And for all the guffawing at the "Little Ceasars" Tigers who haven't won anything, in the past 3 years, the Tigers have been to the ALCS as many times as the Sox have been in my entire life (and 1 of those trips I don't remember because I was born a month before it happened). They're obviously doing something correct.
You guys are both right. These posts of "Well, how many titles have the Yankees won in the recent past?" and "X team has as many titles as the Sox in the last decade" are not seeing the larger benefit of consistently having a team that can make it to October instead of "hoping for the best" most of the time.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,333
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You guys are both right. These posts of "Well, how many titles have the Yankees won in the recent past?" and "X team has as many titles as the Sox in the last decade" are not seeing the larger benefit of consistently having a team that can make it to October instead of "hoping for the best" most of the time.
Pretty much. KW should be lauded for his work at getting Jerry to open up the pursestrings; when he took over as GM the Sox were generally in the middle of the pack in terms of payroll and the last few years they have consistently been in the Top 10. So that has been a success.

But it is time to pair the financial flexibility the Sox have shown with an honest-to-goodness long-term vision instead built from the ground up instead of trying to cover up obvious structural flaws with a coat of paint.
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You guys are both right. These posts of "Well, how many titles have the Yankees won in the recent past?" and "X team has as many titles as the Sox in the last decade" are not seeing the larger benefit of consistently having a team that can make it to October instead of "hoping for the best" most of the time.

Its all about season long interest and a realistic chance of making the playoffs. The yanks do that every year.
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,342
Default

I heard copper today on 670 and he said he was happy the Sox went after Tanaka but wasnt disappointed they didnt get him.
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 01-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Goose Goose is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I heard copper today on 670 and he said he was happy the Sox went after Tanaka but wasnt disappointed they didnt get him.
What was he supposed to say, though, "I am so disappointed the Sox did not do more to get this guy on the South Side"?

Just a canned response, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Stanley Stanley is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
What was he supposed to say, though, "I am so disappointed the Sox did not do more to get this guy on the South Side"?

Just a canned response, in my opinion.
I would have loved to hear him say. "Coop coulda fixed 'im."
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,222
Default

If it's true all the teams but the Yankees said during negotiations they would ease Tanaka into the rotation and take it easy on him, then these guys are maybe not as bright as we give them credit.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.