White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
If the bidding is anywhere near the nine figures estimated, I can't see us being players, and I'm just fine with that scenario.
Reinsdorf and company did just save $20 million by the Bulls giving Deng away.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Kenny was quoted this morning explaining why he was not around yesterday for Frank's HOF announcement. He said he was out of town on important team business which will result in very good news for the fans in a couple of days.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Kenny was quoted this morning explaining why he was not around yesterday for Frank's HOF announcement. He said he was out of town on important team business which will result in very good news for the fans in a couple of days.

"I just saved fifteen percent on my car insurance by switching to Geico!"

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
We don't ever get involved in these things (at least prior to this year). For it to be public, we're probably going to make a serious offer.

Given the money we threw at Abreu, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sox throw a ton of money at the guy. Dude's a 25 year old ace type. Those guys don't hit the market ever.

We're signing him. I'm calling it.
Just because we make a "serious offer" doesn't mean we will sign him. I'm sure a lot of teams will make serious offers. Still, this is the rare Munch prediction that I am hoping comes true!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 PM
WSI High Priest

All I wanted out of this was for the Sox to make a serious and competitive offer. I just didnt want to hear that Tanaka is out of their price range or they have others down the pike.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Williams was quoted in the Sun-Times as saying he was out of town "on White Sox business" when he wasn't at the Hurt's press conference. I almost spit my drink out.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Williams was quoted in the Sun-Times as saying he was out of town "on White Sox business" when he wasn't at the Hurt's press conference. I almost spit my drink out.
Maybe it's that big Eric Patterson signing.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
All I wanted out of this was for the Sox to make a serious and competitive offer. I just didnt want to hear that Tanaka is out of their price range or they have others down the pike.
The price looks like it could be outrageous, though.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Why would they bring KW there?

I guess if it is a situation where you need to pay more than anyone else would, Kenny would be the appropriate bidder.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
Why would they bring KW there?

I guess if it is a situation where you need to pay more than anyone else would, Kenny would be the appropriate bidder.
Players like Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Alexei Ramirez, Bobby Jenks, AJ Pierzynski, and Carlos Quentin, and teams like the NYY, NYM, LAD, LAAAAAA, and Boston are wondering why you are saying that.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
The price looks like it could be outrageous, though.
What's outrageous about it? Dude's a 25 year old pitcher that most scouts agree will be an immediate ace if not have a floor of a 2. In most cases, that's 150 million territory if the guy was older. Paying in that neighborhood when he's younger is actually a bargain. If it's outrageous, it's outrageous how cheap some of the dollar amounts sound.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Kenny is kind of sticking his neck out there when he says that his trip will result in good news for Sox fans. It doesn't sound like he hedged it with a "might" or "maybe", but was pretty definitive. It's possible that the good news that he is referring to has nothing to do with Tanaka, but if nothing at all happens in the next week or two, he is going to get shredded.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
What's outrageous about it? Dude's a 25 year old pitcher that most scouts agree will be an immediate ace if not have a floor of a 2. In most cases, that's 150 million territory if the guy was older. Paying in that neighborhood when he's younger is actually a bargain. If it's outrageous, it's outrageous how cheap some of the dollar amounts sound.
It's a lot of money because scouts have been wrong before and he's never thrown a pitch against anything close to MLB level competition. While on the surface his numbers are impressive until he performs on a MLB mound and succeeds (at levels like Sale or Verlander) nothing is for sure.

It's also a huge change to his life. Everything he knows or has known is going to be a long ways away. Some people adapt poorly to those kind of changes. Tanaka won't just be pitching against higher level competition than he's ever faced he'll be doing it all while adapting to an entirely new culture and while under intense scrutiny and hype.

Time will tell how it all pans out, but it's certainly not inconceivable he could fall flat on his face or max out as a 3-4 and not be worth anywhere close to the money numbers that are being thrown around.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's a lot of money because scouts have been wrong before and he's never thrown a pitch against anything close to MLB level competition. While on the surface his numbers are impressive until he performs on a MLB mound and succeeds (at levels like Sale or Verlander) nothing is for sure.

It's also a huge change to his life. Everything he knows or has known is going to be a long ways away. Some people adapt poorly to those kind of changes. Tanaka won't just be pitching against higher level competition than he's ever faced he'll be doing it all while adapting to an entirely new culture and while under intense scrutiny and hype.

Time will tell how it all pans out, but it's certainly not inconceivable he could fall flat on his face or max out as a 3-4 and not be worth anywhere close to the money numbers that are being thrown around.

If he signs with the Sox, I will bring him to Mitsuwa once a week for a delicious bowl of ramen or a GabuttoBurger.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Forget numbers, the scouting is based on stuff. Pure stuff wise, he's easily worth more. Even if he ends up being 3-4, he'll always have stuff that projects better and thus will always have value (especially on the trade market). Add in the immense revenue someone like him brings in, it seems a no-brainer that not only will someone offer tons of money, but that he'll easily be worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to give him $200 millions over 10 years. It's a risk because of injury (like anyone), but even on the low end it's a better deal than most.