White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,348
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Just curious, this logo has been out.there for almost 70 years. Was it not until the 90s that it became an issue?
Well that's a discussion really more suited for PI, but I'll give a quick answer...

It's always been offensive, just the media and a large enough number of people didn't point it out before then. Basically people have been turning a blind eye to the problems with the logo for a long time.

You could ask that question about a lot of racial issues from history and get the same answer - because people chose to ignore the problem.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #17  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:24 AM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,700
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well that's a discussion really more suited for PI, but I'll give a quick answer...

It's always been offensive, just the media and a large enough number of people didn't point it out before then. Basically people have been turning a blind eye to the problems with the logo for a long time.

You could ask that question about a lot of racial issues from history and get the same answer - because people chose to ignore the problem.
Bingo.
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
  #18  
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,458
Default

As Farmio asks (repeatedly), "if he's a chief, how come he has only one feather?"
  #19  
Old 01-10-2014, 05:54 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,737
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Just curious, this logo has been out.there for almost 70 years. Was it not until the 90s that it became an issue?
Native American mascots and imagery have been an issue for a much longer time than that, I believe Syracuse University dropped it's Native American mascot warrior in the 1970's due to pressure from Native American students and groups, though they kept the Orangemen nickname until 2004ish.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
  #20  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM
DoItForDanPasqua DoItForDanPasqua is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
That's what Al Jolson used to say.
Al Jolson is now remembered as a racist and that is a grave injustice. He actually was a civil rights pioneer who demanded equal pay for African American performers and helped break down several walls in the entertainment field. He was very respected by African American performers of his time as evidenced by the turn out at his funeral. It's hard to believe it now, but in that era the black face performance was not the utter racism as we know it now.
__________________

You can't play baseball without Pants.

Last edited by DoItForDanPasqua; 01-22-2014 at 08:33 PM.
  #21  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
soxnut1018 soxnut1018 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItForDanPasqua View Post
Al Jolson is now remembered as a racist and that is a grave injustice. He actually was a civil rights pioneer who demanded equal pay for African American performers and helped break down several walls in the entertainment field. He was very respected by African American performers of his time as evidenced by the turn out at his funeral. It's hard to believe it now, but in that era the black face was not utter racism as we know it now.
__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.