White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
In case anyone hasn't seen it, there's a page on the Sox website dedicated to Frank's induction with some great videos. My favorite is the video of the first HR by a Sox player in New Comiskey in front of a full house vs. the Orioles to put the Sox ahead 6-5.
I saw a link to that the other day but didn't click on it, and now I can't find it on the team's website or on MLB.com.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I saw a link to that the other day but didn't click on it, and now I can't find it on the team's website or on MLB.com.
There's a copy of it posted earlier in this thread if you scroll back.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
There's a copy of it posted earlier in this thread if you scroll back.
Found it, thanks!

Here's the link in case anyone else is as confused as me.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/...omas/index.jsp
Old 01-13-2014, 04:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Found it, thanks!

Here's the link in case anyone else is as confused as me.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/...omas/index.jsp
I might be the only one who misses the old New Comiskey configuration. It had more of a "stadium" feel back then.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
I might be the only one who misses the old New Comiskey configuration. It had more of a "stadium" feel back then.
You are right, you may be the only one.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Looks like your phone or laptop autocorrected "stadium" from "Soviet-era prison cell."
Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 AM
WSI Personality

Default Mlb hof

I found out the older I have become that the BB HOF reinvents history. I think it borders on criminal that Walter O'Malley was voted into the HOF. They justified his HOF induction by saying he made BB a more National sport by moving the Dodgers to the west coast. The only reason why O'Malley moved the Dodgers to LA was because it was a land grab on his behalf. He was able to buy the land Dodgers Stadium was built on for $1. The city of LA offered him a deal unlike anything offered to any franchise before or since. It certainly was a good move financially for the Dodgers but the move was wrong. He stabbed the Brooklyn Dodgers fans in the back and the move was just wrong. He took the 2nd most profitable team out of New York and moved them simply because of a land grab. The city of New York offered to build him a stadium in Queens which the Dodgers would of leased. He demanded that New York give him the land. New York wouldn't give him the land and he moved the Dodgers to LA. The National League expanded a few years later and the Mets wound up taking the same deal that was offered to the Dodgers. I'm convinced that after O'Malley was inducted into the HOF anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Bonds, Sosa and the other juicers were voted into the HOF somewhere down the line.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam View Post
All very true and well-stated, and I wouldn't say Sullivan should have ignored the controversies. But to have built his whole piece around it was lame at best and disrespectful at worst. Featuring "The Big Skirt" and other BS was inappropriate in a piece about the franchise's greatest offensive player, a first-ballot Hall of Famer. The photo caption referred to The Big Skirt.
You're are completely correct- the "Big Skirt" stuff was b.s.-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I found out the older I have become that the BB HOF reinvents history. I think it borders on criminal that Walter O'Malley was voted into the HOF. They justified his HOF induction by saying he made BB a more National sport by moving the Dodgers to the west coast. The only reason why O'Malley moved the Dodgers to LA was because it was a land grab on his behalf. He was able to buy the land Dodgers Stadium was built on for $1. The city of LA offered him a deal unlike anything offered to any franchise before or since. It certainly was a good move financially for the Dodgers but the move was wrong. He stabbed the Brooklyn Dodgers fans in the back and the move was just wrong. He took the 2nd most profitable team out of New York and moved them simply because of a land grab. The city of New York offered to build him a stadium in Queens which the Dodgers would of leased. He demanded that New York give him the land. New York wouldn't give him the land and he moved the Dodgers to LA. The National League expanded a few years later and the Mets wound up taking the same deal that was offered to the Dodgers. I'm convinced that after O'Malley was inducted into the HOF anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Bonds, Sosa and the other juicers were voted into the HOF somewhere down the line.
I thnk the story is a little more complicated than what you posted. I'm not trying to rehabilitate the image of O'Malley but would recommend this if you haven't read it.

http://www.amazon.com/New-York-City-.../dp/B004JZWSFM

Sadly, you may be correct about the future enshrinement of the "juicers" you mention. It's hard to say what the mindset will be on this subject in a generation or two.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
You're are completely correct- the "Big Skirt" stuff was b.s.-
That is complete BS. But Sully is a Cubbie fan, he'll never ever acknowledge anything positive about Frank Thomas. It is useless to even hope for it. Kind of funny when you consider that all the Trib articles about Red Ass Santo were love letters when he was elected. And let's not forget the campaign by Sully and Mc Grath's boys on behalf of Sammy Sosa. How's that working out for them?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
That is complete BS. But Sully is a Cubbie fan, he'll never ever acknowledge anything positive about Frank Thomas. It is useless to even hope for it. Kind of funny when you consider that all the Trib articles about Red Ass Santo were love letters when he was elected. And let's not forget the campaign by Sully and Mc Grath's boys on behalf of Sammy Sosa. How's that working out for them?
Is it too much to ask for the Cubbie loving local sports media to admit they made a major mistake with Sammy?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Is it too much to ask for the Cubbie loving local sports media to admit they made a major mistake with Sammy?
In a word.....YES.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Frank Thomas ‏@TheBigHurt_35 14m Wow!! This just brought a Tear to my Eye!! Thank you Chicago White Sox!!

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Frank Thomas ‏@TheBigHurt_35 14m Wow!! This just brought a Tear to my Eye!! Thank you Chicago White Sox!!

They finally painted over the 2005 World Series Champion billboard back there. I like it, I wonder if this will stay up for 9 years?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
They finally painted over the 2005 World Series Champion billboard back there. I like it, I wonder if this will stay up for 9 years?
I doubt it. They'll have to paint the next World Series Champion billboard over it in a lot less than 9 years.