White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
They don't round up. He needed two more.

Anyone who followed the Nellie Fox saga in 1985 (his final year of eligibility by the writers, where he also missed by 2 votes) will attest to that fact.

Congrats to Frank, Maddux and Glavine. Big outcry from the Biggio fan camp, definitely disappointing that he missed it by such a slim margin, but it was only his second year of eligibility and he's definitely not in danger of dropping off the ballot due to lack of support. Most likely he'll make it next year, but you wouldn't know it by what his fans are posting on the net. Also lots of people questioning why Frank made it over Biggio, Morris and several others. One idiot even went so far as to say they'd rather see the roiders in the HOF instead of a DH... go figure. Sour grapes running rampant, but I guess that's to be expected.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Icon10

They need to take voting rights away from people sending these crazy ballots, like the idiot submitting blank ballot and the guy not voting for anyone who played after 1985.

Biggio and Bagwell are getting a triple whammy. Not only did they not play in a big market or on the East coast, and are unfairly being lumped in with steroid users with zero evidence; but also everyone's forgetting that their obviously hall-worthy numbers were reduced by playing home games in the Astrodome for most of their careers.

Hopefully the correction happens next year.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
They need to take voting rights away from people sending these crazy ballots, like the idiot submitting blank ballot and the guy not voting for anyone who played after 1985.

Biggio and Bagwell are getting a triple whammy. Not only did they not play in a big market or on the East coast, and are unfairly being lumped in with steroid users with zero evidence; but also everyone's forgetting that their obviously hall-worthy numbers were reduced by playing home games in the Astrodome for most of their careers.

Hopefully the correction happens next year.
Both deserve to get in. It would be cool if they got in the same year.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Banned

Sammy Sosa is very close to being dropped off of the list. I would expect it will happen next year.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

Biggio and Bagwell are getting a triple whammy. Not only did they not play in a big market or on the East coast, and are unfairly being lumped in with steroid users with zero evidence;.
Not zero evidence. Some circumstantial evidence (verified, proven juicing did happen in that clubhouse), and unverified evidence from 2nd hand sources that Bagwell juiced, and to a much lesser extent Biggio.

Biggio will probably get in next year. He only missed by 2 votes, so 2 votes perhaps can be blamed on market.
Both are clearly worthy by their play.....
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

They need to revoke voting rights to the jackass who gave Jacque Jones his only vote.

The guy must have been looking at his stats against the Sox and said "yeah, definitely a HOFer!"

Moron.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Sammy Sosa is very close to being dropped off of the list. I would expect it will happen next year.
Good.

Risk

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I'm going to give my rant that will probably be a bit controversial here:

I'm tired of people whining so much about the voting process and the results of the vote. First off, I'm sick of people showing such OUTRAGE that Maddux didn't get a unanimous vote. Who cares? I hear callers on the radio that are genuinely angry that his vote wasn't unanimous even more so than just being happy that their guy was elected at all. I've been to Cooperstown, and the plaques do not have the percentage vote that each guy got. Five years from now, nobody will remember that Maddux wasn't unanimous. We will just know that he is a hall of famer. By the way, regarding this, the OUTRAGE that we will hear five years from now when Rivera isn't unanimous and when Jeter isn't unanimous will be absolutely nauseating.

The ballot is in place, and the rules are what they are. If a writer wants to leave Maddux off because he or she knows Maddux will get in anyways and (s)he wants to try to prevent another worthy candidate from ending up under the 5% threshold, it is his or her right as a voter to do so. If you don't like it, then change the rules. Bitching about writer X who left off the surefire guy accomplishes nothing other than giving that writer publicity which is probably the goal for many of them in the first place. In other words, they are trolling you and you are taking the bait. And since when is Maddux such a transcendant guy that he deserves a unanimous vote while other surefire guys don't? Where's the outrage for Frank? In my mind, he is a surefire as they some, and HE should have been unanimous, but I don't hear any moaning for him. I'm not going to complain about it other than in this rant because I am just happy that my favorite player of all time is now in the Hall of Fame.

Any claims that "writers should have their privileges revoked" because they didn't vote for this guy or voted for that guy are stupid in my opinion. Each voter has a right to vote for whomever he or she chooses under the current system. They don't owe you or anyone else an explanation until they make it a rule that you have to explain yourself. Maybe writer X was neighbors with the Jones family growing up and he wanted to throw his BFF a bone. You can be annoyed, but it is his right as a voter to do so until they change the rules. If it is such a catastrophe that Armando Benitez got a vote that that writer should lose his or her credentials, then why is Benitez even on the ballot in the first place? You can't complain that a guy on the ballot got a vote. That is why he's on the ballot.

Lastly, I have never really heard or read a competent alternative to the current process. Do you have somebody else vote? I can't see how that would change things. There are plenty of fans who would never vote the PED guys in and who would vote for Jack Morris. Ditto with the baseball execs and players. I personally would let the BBWAA still do the voting, but I would just tweak a few things. Taking out the 10 vote maximum would go a long way. Also maybe a yearly audit of the BBWAA to remove those people who aren't writing about baseball anymore and haven't for a long time. That's about it.

TL;DR: stop complaining about the process and be happy for the guys who got in!

End of rant. Flame away!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM
WSI High Priest

^
Good rant, but you said stop complaining about the process, but then you recommended a couple changes.

I think in the end, meaning a couple decades from now, the right people will end up in the Hall.

I'd like to see a one-time vote since we already know what a Hall-of-Famer is. Like Schilling and Mussina...and Biggio, Piazza and Bagwell. Without proof of steroids, how do you keep these guys out? You can't.

I'd also get the ballot down, so these stupid "buddy votes" stop happening. When it's obvious a player isn't getting 5%, stop putting these guys on the ballot.

It's a mess. It's mostly negative, which bothers me. It should be about Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas getting in. But most people want to focus on the problems.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

MLB ‏@MLB
Live from New York, itís the 3 newest Hall of Famers: http://atmlb.com

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

MLB ‏@MLB 7m
Favorite season?

Thomas: í93, we were loaded with superstars.

Glavine: My best year was í98.

Maddux: í95, itís really hard to beat that.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
^
Good rant, but you said stop complaining about the process, but then you recommended a couple changes.

I think in the end, meaning a couple decades from now, the right people will end up in the Hall.

I'd like to see a one-time vote since we already know what a Hall-of-Famer is. Like Schilling and Mussina...and Biggio, Piazza and Bagwell. Without proof of steroids, how do you keep these guys out? You can't.

I'd also get the ballot down, so these stupid "buddy votes" stop happening. When it's obvious a player isn't getting 5%, stop putting these guys on the ballot.

It's a mess. It's mostly negative, which bothers me. It should be about Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas getting in. But most people want to focus on the problems.
Even with the very best systems, there is always room for improvement. My suggestions are just minor suggestions that might make it better. I certainly won't lose sleep or have a self-righteous tizzy if they are not implemented. They likely wouldn't change all that much other than Biggio getting in. He'll get in next year. We had to wait a year for Fisk because of his crowded ballot, too.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Ken Gurnick leaves Maddux off his ballot, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan." Dan Le Batard gives his ballot to Deadspin, then everyone loses their minds!

http://deadspin.com/the-angry-things...f-f-1497810100

"See you on a dark night."
Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Ken Gurnick leaves Maddux off his ballot, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan." Dan Le Batard gives his ballot to Deadspin, then everyone loses their minds!

http://deadspin.com/the-angry-things...f-f-1497810100
There are some eligible Hall of Fame voters I disagree with. Some are worse than jerks. Some care more about football and basketball and even golf than they do baseball. But the threshold for election is set at 75 percent. The system assumes there are a few who don't take the responsibility seriously.

The BBWAA is a more reliable voting block than the fans. I've had baseball fans tell me in the last day that they are disappointed Frank Thomas was voted into the Hall of Fame, at least on the first ballot. I am sure there are discussion boards where there is anger over Thomas' election.

If you want to turn the Hall of Fame voting over to fans, you're going to have a lot of ballots that leave off Maddux. You would be turning the Hall of Fame vote into something more resembling the vote for the All-Star starting lineups.

Turning your ballot over to the fans is more reprehensible than leaving Maddux off your ballot.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM
MMXXIII

BBWAA has stripped Le Batard of his HOF vote for life.