White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I still fail to see how it is entirely the fault of one player that they did not play on winning teams. I mentioned Butkus and Sayers earlier for a reason; they are loved, and yet their only winning seasons came when they were rookies in 1965. That they were good players is because they were good players and produced, not because of whether or not their teammates were talented. Jon Garland is not a better pitcher than Chris Sale, despite the fact that the former has a world series ring and played on mostly winning Sox teams, where Sale has played on mostly mediocre and bad teams.

In Cincinnati and in Washington, Dunn produced to the benefit of his team. In Chicago, his production has failed to live up to his previous standards. But I don't see how Dunn's 38 HRs and 105 RBIs (or his .398 OBP and .529 slugging) for the 2009 Nationals somehow caused them to lose 103 games. He had a slightly worse 2010 for them, and they won 10 more games. Dunn was not the only factor as to how the team performed.

Also, while Banks and Appling played in a different era, their teams were seldom even good.
we had this same argument at work ---does that mean Bill Wennington was a better center than Pat Ewing is the example I used
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I just don't see that level of variance. Even if Davidson and Eaton flame out, it's not like we sold our future or gave away all star talent; and Reed isn't far from arbitration anyway. He made a couple of measured moves. He's got a lot more young talent he needs to acquire, both minor league and major league ready, before we're set to the point where we have both a competitive major league roster, and a minor league roster with sufficient depth that we can make necessary July moves and still have young talent infused into our major league team. Hopefully he can get some talent for the remainder of these vets, even if it is lower minors talent.
we would be much better off with Nick Swisher than Gio Gonzalez type thinking is why Im glad KW is no longer the GM