White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default Most Improved

White Sox most improved of offseason so far, says Dave Cameron. Insider Required.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...eam-winter-mlb
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
White Sox most improved of offseason so far, says Dave Cameron. Insider Required.

I hope the guy is right. The White Sox need to be able to rebuild on the fly because they can't afford 4 or 5 losing seasons.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
The White Sox need to be able to rebuild on the fly because they can't afford 4 or 5 losing seasons.
Why not?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

And as usual, someone has posted a similar article that can be read for free (albeit one that doesn't give especial praise to the Sox):
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/12/...ite-sox-astros

ESPN Insider: The bottled water of sports coverage.

I don't think anyone would argue that the Sox haven't made a huge improvement, but oddsmakers and baseball people in general, on paper, seem to shy away from predictions that involve teams improving by 20 games from one year to the next. When the games actually get played though, it seems to happen often. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think the Sox could go 83-79 in 2014. That won't be good enough to contend, but I don't think it's as impossible as people will inevitably say. If Vegas sets the Sox' over/under somewhere in the mid 70s, the over might be a decent bet. Then again, I'll feel more comfortable about saying that after I've seen how everything shakes out after ST.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
And as usual, someone has posted a similar article that can be read for free (albeit one that doesn't give especial praise to the Sox):
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/12/...ite-sox-astros

ESPN Insider: The bottled water of sports coverage.
Um...if you were looking for an article that outlined multiple winners, this wasn't it. If you're looking for evaluating the White Sox moves, your link seems more watered down. It says a lot less and only give us two paragraphs.

Anyway, at least we can all agree the team is definitely on the right path, and the national media is starting to laud them for it.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Why not?
The Sox fan base is not as big and is more fickle in general when it comes to attending games and watching them on TV. Attendance has been on a downward trend over the last couple of season and that's with a couple of winning seasons thrown into the mix. I would hate to see what 4 to 5 straight losing seasons would do to the team in regards to ratings and attendance. Additionally, whether Sox fans like it or not, the team benefits from the Cubs, Bulls, and Blackhawks being on Comcast Sportsnet because it is equally owned by all four of the teams and the Cubs, Bulls, and Blackhawks do prop up the ratings overall. There has been talk of the Cubs starting their own TV network after their agreement with Comcast Sportsnet ends, which would bring down the ratings and potentially the network overall. This is during a time when teams like the Rangers and Dodgers are getting billion dollar TV deals.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
The Sox fan base is not as big and is more fickle in general when it comes to attending games and watching them on TV. Attendance has been on a downward trend over the last couple of season and that's with a couple of winning seasons thrown into the mix. I would hate to see what 4 to 5 straight losing seasons would do to the team in regards to ratings and attendance. Additionally, whether Sox fans like it or not, the team benefits from the Cubs, Bulls, and Blackhawks being on Comcast Sportsnet because it is equally owned by all four of the teams and the Cubs, Bulls, and Blackhawks do prop up the ratings overall. There has been talk of the Cubs starting their own TV network after their agreement with Comcast Sportsnet ends, which would bring down the ratings and potentially the network overall. This is during a time when teams like the Rangers and Dodgers are getting billion dollar TV deals.
I don't care if the team is bad if they are improving. Attendance will go up if they get some players who are actually exciting and inspiring with potential. So far I think they have. I know I'll be watching Abreu in person this year.

What really turned me off from this team was Dunn's attitude upon being signed here. He whined about the idea of being a DH. He complained about coming to the Sox, and he feuded with his manager all season. But, because he was lefty with big numbers the Sox had to have him. His performance never outweighed those negatives, and really made me look at the team negatively as a whole. At least now it's pretty obvious he's on the way out and the Sox are going young and fresh.

Last edited by balke; 12-29-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't know enough about what other teams are doing to grade the Sox on a relative scale...but I am absolutely thrilled with the offseason so far and I'm not known as much of an optimist. Hahn has done a lot from a position of weakness and I think there's a sound strategy behind it.

I'll be kind of disappointed when the season starts and games are decided on the field, because the White Sox are doing great on paper.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

He wrote the Mariners blog for long while, right?
I am impressed with the blog commerce. Write an intelligent blog, and you get an ESPN gig.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Um...if you were looking for an article that outlined multiple winners, this wasn't it. If you're looking for evaluating the White Sox moves, your link seems more watered down. It says a lot less and only give us two paragraphs.

Anyway, at least we can all agree the team is definitely on the right path, and the national media is starting to laud them for it.
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ated-offseason

There's an entire article about the Sox' offseason, ironically also from ESPN, and also free. If you choose to pay for Insider, that's fine, but a lot of people probably don't, so it can be helpful to post links to extremely similar articles in threads that lead with Insider links.

The other reason I don't pay for it is more personal, because I really only follow baseball and hockey, and ESPN only covers one of those sports with any semblance of completeness. If I'm going to pay for baseball coverage, it will be from an outlet that covers baseball exclusively; otherwise I'm paying for articles about the NFL, NBA, college football, and college basketball that I will never read. I'm sure it's a similar situation for many WSIers.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Most improved. (on paper)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I don't care if the team is bad if they are improving. Attendance will go up if they get some players who are actually exciting and inspiring with potential. So far I think they have. I know I'll be watching Abreu in person this year.

What really turned me off from this team was Dunn's attitude upon being signed here. He whined about the idea of being a DH. He complained about coming to the Sox, and he feuded with his manager all season. But, because he was lefty with big numbers the Sox had to have him. His performance never outweighed those negatives, and really made me look at the team negatively as a whole. At least now it's pretty obvious he's on the way out and the Sox are going young and fresh.
why would he complain about coming to the Sox when he was a FA and had other options
Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I don't care if the team is bad if they are improving. Attendance will go up if they get some players who are actually exciting and inspiring with potential.
Agreed. Sure attendance will stink if they have multiple losing seasons in a row. However, build a consistent contender and fans will come out in droves. Ask the Blackhawks managment if 1996- 2006 affected last nights attendance.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-01-2014, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

I wonder how many people are actually buying 2014 White Sox calendars this year. Sure, there are some quality current players there, but also many who are no longer here. Plus, I'm far more excited to see the new, young talent we have coming in and they're certainly not featured in the calendar. Anyone else agree?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
He wrote the Mariners blog for long while, right?
I am impressed with the blog commerce. Write an intelligent blog, and you get an ESPN gig.
He's essentially the lead writer at Fangraphs (can't think of his actual title) now.