White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 12:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
He's off to a good start in AAA.

I think Webb will ultimately be the closer. Seems like Reinzo could pretty easily take Webb's role as longman in the bullpen. Of course, you'd probably have to get rid of Belisario, who is getting paid $3 million this season and will probably get several more weeks to sort things out.
And we may have to bite the bullet and be lefty-short. Downs and Veal aren't getting anyone out. But I'm sure they'll wait a while before they do that.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Personally I think Paulino is better suited for the bullpen. He's got good stuff, let him air it out for an inning instead of pacing himself and he'll gain 3-4 MPH on his fastball.

If he continues to struggle in the rotation, I hope the next logical step would be to see if he can help us in the pen.

Also, Downs has been awful, but he has a solid track record. At this point we have no choice but to keep giving him the ball and hope he rights himself.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm hoping that the eventual closer for 2014 is not currently on the roster. Other than Webb, I don't see anyone in our bullpen who is remotely up to the task.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I'm hoping that the eventual closer for 2014 is not currently on the roster. Other than Webb, I don't see anyone in our bullpen who is remotely up to the task.
Cleto definitely has the stuff, too, just got to find the command.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Cleto definitely has the stuff, too, just got to find the command.
Cleto looks like the real deal to me. He brings it at 97mph and has looked pretty solid his last two outings. The slider he throws is coming around too. If I'm Robin, I look at Cleto as the 8th inning guy and Webb as the closer. Put Lindstrom back in the 7th inning role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Personally I think Paulino is better suited for the bullpen. He's got good stuff, let him air it out for an inning instead of pacing himself and he'll gain 3-4 MPH on his fastball.
An interesting idea. He definitely has a plus fastball which is what you look for in a late inning reliever ans hasn't shown command of secondary pitches which you absolutely need to survive as a starter. However, his tendency to walk batters is definitely NOT something you look for in a late inning reliever. Until he gets his control issues in order, he isn't of much value to us in any role.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Cleto looks like the real deal to me. He brings it at 97mph and has looked pretty solid his last two outings. The slider he throws is coming around too. If I'm Robin, I look at Cleto as the 8th inning guy and Webb as the closer. Put Lindstrom back in the 7th inning role.
I could see this happening soon. And Webb, I think, would be a good closer.

Speaking of pitching, anyone else see the article below about Sox AAA pitcher Scott Carroll. Carroll has not given up a run in three starts and was the International League pitcher of the week last week.

I wonder if the Sox give Carroll a start soon? If tomorrow's game gets postponed and re-scheduled as part of a day-night DH on Thursday, I wonder if Carroll gets his chance sooner rather than later.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit.../scott-carroll
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
WSI Personality

Default Maybe Frank...

Frank Francisco maybe. He might still be available off the scrapheap.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post

If he continues to struggle in the rotation, I hope the next logical step would be to see if he can help us in the pen.

Also, Downs has been awful, but he has a solid track record. At this point we have no choice but to keep giving him the ball and hope he rights himself.
He can't throw strikes and he is coming off injuries.

Cannot be a reliever.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 AM
WSI Prelate

I just watched Oakland close out the Angels. Oakland's closer has no stuff at all, he just throws the ball low and away every pitch- most were very borderline strikes. Not as bad as John Franco, who rarely threw a strike (for those around in the late 80s) . Anyway, find a guy who can do that. He'll give up some hits, but he just needs to pitch one inning without a run. And he doesn't need to strike anyone out.
Or consider doing what the Mets did tonight. Their reliever pitched 2.2 to close the game out. I guess you can't use them as frequently when they pitch that many though.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think the last time Ramirez raised his arms like that was that record-breaking grand slam in 2008 in the make-up game against the Tigers in the "last" game of the regular season. Suffice to say, that was my favorite moment of that entire season, and seeing a short replay of it this time (in a more dramatic fashion, too--this one was a walk-off, after all) brought a VERY large smile to my face.

God, I love this guy. Even if he frustrates me sometimes with his play, I will always be a fan of Alexei Ramirez.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
Frank Francisco maybe. He might still be available off the scrapheap.
Good call. The Sox signed him yesterday afternoon:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...francisco.html
Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I think the last time Ramirez raised his arms like that was that record-breaking grand slam in 2008 in the make-up game against the Tigers in the "last" game of the regular season. Suffice to say, that was my favorite moment of that entire season, and seeing a short replay of it this time (in a more dramatic fashion, too--this one was a walk-off, after all) brought a VERY large smile to my face.

God, I love this guy. Even if he frustrates me sometimes with his play, I will always be a fan of Alexei Ramirez.
I agree with you. But what does this have to do with the subject of this thread -- Sox closer situation in 2014? Alexei for closer?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

I wonder if Bobby Thigpen has anything left in his arm??
Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 AM
WSI High Priest

I still think it will be Jones personally.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I agree with you. But what does this have to do with the subject of this thread -- Sox closer situation in 2014? Alexei for closer?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Wrong thread. :(