White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 08:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN
#WhiteSox won't name replacement for closer Addison Reed but candidates include: Lindstrom, Jones, Daniel Webb. http://bit.ly/IQHHch
Lindstrom?! That dude is the king of allowing inherited runners to score! I'd think he'd be the last in that line to win the job, but that's just my opinion.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
Lindstrom?! That dude is the king of allowing inherited runners to score! I'd think he'd be the last in that line to win the job, but that's just my opinion.
He'd mostly be coming in to start the ninth with no one on.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 PM
WSI Personality

After years of complaining of this team having no "organizational philosophy" I am thrilled to see that they in fact do have one and are executing it. Like someone else posted whether it works or not at least they seem to be going somewhere other than in circles.

I liked Reed a lot. To save 40 out of 63 wins was impressive. Yeah he had his epic failures like all closers but he was a good competitor. That said the Sox seem to have had the magic touch in getting rid of closers at the right time. Jenks before he completely bottomed out in Boston, Santiago before he got hurt, and maybe now was the time for Reed. Hopefully Davidson turns out to be a fixture over there at third however I am only cautiously optimistic. I think of all the prospects we have traded in recent memory and very few of them have torn it up in the bigs.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If you look at the 2013 Davidson had for Reno and the 2012 Gillaspie had for Fresno, they are quite similar except that Davidson hit a lot more doubles and struck out a lot more. Gillaspie also played a better third base. I'm not suggesting Davidson doesn't have a higher ceiling. I would love to see Davidson give me a reason to get excited about the White Sox upgrading at third base, but he has to show me something first. And I'm not certain I'll see it in 2014.
One very important fact you're omitting; Davidson was extremely young for AAA, last year he was 22 years old, the 5th youngest hitter in the Pacific Coast League (in the territory of other blue chip prospects like Oscar Taveras, Kolten Wong, and Chris Owings). In 2012, at AAA, Conner Gillaspie was 24.

Reminds me of that famous quote by Bill James that the most important stat for a prospect is his age.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know

Last edited by doublem23; 12-16-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
Jones was an inherited runner sieve his rookie year, as well, so it is what it is, but we're talking about the closer's role here. FWIW, Reed made 68 appearances in 2013; he entered the game with a runner on base once.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
He'd mostly be coming in to start the ninth with no one on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Jones was an inherited runner sieve his rookie year, as well, so it is what it is, but we're talking about the closer's role here. FWIW, Reed made 68 appearances in 2013; he entered the game with a runner on base once.
I'm well aware of the fact that a closer rarely enters a game with runners on. The point I was trying to make was that if Lindstrom let inherited runners score this past season, he might be apt to allow runners on in tight games as a closer.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
WSI Personality

Incredible trade. There's no better way to get value than to trade a closer for an impact player on offense. Davidson was the guy I hoped we'd get for Peavy last year. He has a chance to be an All-Star caliber player at a position where we really, really need an All-Star caliber player.

Hahn is impressing me more and more with each move.

Last edited by shes; 12-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcomiskey View Post
guys, Dunn is NOT, repeat NOT going anywhere until 2014
2014 is only a few weeks away!!!!

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin
Jones prepared to assume closer's role http://atmlb.com/1c8kYVw via @whitesox

White Sox youthful core gets stronger with Davidson http://atmlb.com/1cxLMJM via @whitesox
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcomiskey View Post
whats mediocre about a guy who saved 40 games on a team that won only 63
Saves are overrated.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard6king6 View Post
I will miss Reed as i am a season ticket holder by the bullpen. Addison and Santiago who are now both gone were the only 2 pitchers who constantly came over and interacted with the fans. Personally I will miss Reed but on the other hand this is a great move!!! We are going with young mostly ready major league talent.
Players interacting with fans is overrated also.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

MLB ‏@MLB 2m

“Closing is the only thing I've ever dreamed of, the only thing I've ever wanted to do.” –@dbacks reliever @Areed43: http://atmlb.com/18NjnOS
Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
One very important fact you're omitting; Davidson was extremely young for AAA, last year he was 22 years old, the 5th youngest hitter in the Pacific Coast League (in the territory of other blue chip prospects like Oscar Taveras, Kolten Wong, and Chris Owings). In 2012, at AAA, Conner Gillaspie was 24.

Reminds me of that famous quote by Bill James that the most important stat for a prospect is his age.
Indeed. Dayan Viciedo was Baseball America's No. 61 prospect the spring he turned 20. He's still only two years older than Davidson.

I don't believe I omitted mention of Davidson's his age. I certainly didn't intentionally omit mention of his age to make debating points. I also didn't mention that Gillaspie was in his second year of AAA in 2012, and didn't perform as well in the PCL as he did for the same team in 2011, which is not unusual for a young player who doesn't make the major league team after doing very well in AAA the previous season.

The prospect rankings obviously are taking Davidson's youth and potential into consideration. I don't believe his minor league performance hasn't been impressive enough to do so. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of him, but he seems to need more work at third base. It looks like the White Sox were looking more at his tools than his stats. Offensively, if his minor league career is finished, he looks like a player who is going to strike out a lot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he begins his first White Sox season in AAA.

The White Sox seem to believe strongly in Davidson's potential. This seems to be a player the White Sox were targetting, just as in recent months they were going after Avisail Garcia (who is only three months older than Davidson) and Adam Eaton. And none of them came cheaply. Except for Garcia, the White Sox dealt young talent with major league accomplishments but small salaries to acquire them.

It's as if the White Sox have a plan.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Saves are overrated.
But they are vastly superior to the alternative.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Yeah, maybe. But, isn't easier to just get a "I'm not impressed with him" placeholder comment in now so that you can tell everyone "I was one of the few people who told you so" if he does turn out to be a bust?
I thought I was clear, getting prospects is a crap shoot and getting touted prospect increases your chances of success, thats all the Sox can do now.

I really dont know your agenda on this one.

If you follow my posts you will see my arm isnt long enough to reach my back and I dont do the told ya so routine.