White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Regular

I don't know enough about these kids Hahn's stockpiling, but it was obvious the approach up to (and including) last year was done. There were (and still are) holes through the lineup, but there's at least a reason to get interested in the team now. That said, get a catcher, Hahn. Please. With sprinkles and frosting on top.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Holy Crap! Big time turnover going into this season. I can't have a problem with that, considering how bad the team was last year. So who gets traded from the infield? Beckham/Keppinger/Gillaspie/Semien all fighting for 2B?
Keppinger and Gillaspie can go fight it out with Royce Clayton, Mark Teahen, et. al. for worst White Sox player of all time. Beckham gets one more chance in my view, but I believe Semien may be the real deal.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Love it. Reed was due for a big raise through arbitration after 2014. Third base was a black hole. For a team with no young offensive talent any where near the MLB level a year ago, they have done quite well since the trade deadline.

So much for Rick Hahn not having a plan this offseason.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSoxFan View Post
Keppinger and Gillaspie can go fight it out with Royce Clayton, Mark Teahen, et. al. for worst White Sox player of all time. Beckham gets one more chance in my view, but I believe Semien may be the real deal.
I don't dislike Connor at all as a young ross gload type lhb off the bench who can field the corners decently
Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Hopefully this one works out just as well.

Say hello to out new third baseman: http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=davids002mat
Works for me. I agree with the general consensus that Reed is completely replaceable and having an elite closer is not expected to be a top priority for the Sox this year.

Loving the fast remake of the roster. I didn't think they could acquire this much young talent this fast. Well done, Hahn.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If it's a straight split where Konerko gets around 40 starts against lefties, Konerko would have to hit about .350 to get them to .260
Last year, in 403 at bats, Dunn hit .226 against righties with 28 HR and 64 RBI and in 99 at bats, Konerko hit .313 against lefties with 5 HR and 16 RBI.

Combined in 2013 (which was a down year for Konerko), in 502 at bats of lefty v. righty and righty v. lefty, they hit a combined .243 with 33 HR and 80 RBI.

Again, for one year, that type of production, particularly from the 5th or 6th spot in the order, would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Reminds me of that famous quote by Bill James that the most important stat for a prospect is his age.
Quite so. And, so far, Rick Hahn has brought in a young, dynamic core. I think this is great.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Love it. Reed was due for a big raise through arbitration after 2014. Third base was a black hole. For a team with no young offensive talent any where near the MLB level a year ago, they have done quite well since the trade deadline.

So much for Rick Hahn not having a plan this offseason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Quite so. And, so far, Rick Hahn has brought in a young, dynamic core. I think this is great.
Agreed. I really like this move and the others for the core.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Looks like for the first time in what feels like forever, we'll have a "new look" White Sox on March 30th. This is exciting.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Sure, there is a market for Keppinger. The obvious team that could use him is the New York Yankees who don't and probably won't know how many holes they have to fill on the infield on a temporary or permanent basis until the season starts.
So much for that fantasy. The Yankees just signed Brian Roberts to play 2B.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
So much for that fantasy. The Yankees just signed Brian Roberts to play 2B.
They already got Kelly Johnson to help there, too.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Love this trade. I can't believe we received such a good prospect for Reed, who was nothing special. His competiveness was great, but his stuff wasn't. I can't remember a Sox closer blowing so many big leads.

Now if Hahn can remove the nonsense that is De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn and Beckham...

I remain very disappointed that Ventura is returning. It would have been nice, particularly with the young players that are being acquired, to have a long-term manager of the future in place so he could oversee everyone's development.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopat View Post
AND I can still catch Reed at D-Back games - Double Bonus!!

Let's GO!!
I was thinking the same thing. I like Reed, so as long as they had to trade him, I'm glad he's coming here!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
WSI High Priest

To much to read back. But is Daniel Webb a projected closer throwing near 100mph? Don't follow the minors to much why I'm asking.

Good Angle of his pitchers. Nice little sinker and fastball with a little movement.

Last edited by ZombieRob; 12-17-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Love this trade. I can't believe we received such a good prospect for Reed, who was nothing special. His competiveness was great, but his stuff wasn't. I can't remember a Sox closer blowing so many big leads.

Now if Hahn can remove the nonsense that is De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn and Beckham...

I remain very disappointed that Ventura is returning. It would have been nice, particularly with the young players that are being acquired, to have a long-term manager of the future in place so he could oversee everyone's development.
I agree with all of this, other than I probably have a higher opinion of Reed's stuff and I don't see Beckham as being a huge problem (we could use an eventual upgrade).
Hahn's made some really good trades. But he has given up 3 good pitchers for these players.
I guess it's asking too much to get anything for that list of veterans...he might have to shoot for some low-minors players with upside. Or maybe to bring in someone else's De Aza who plays Catcher.
And we also have to hope we have the pitching depth he thinks we do. I don't want to Rush Johnson or Webb...these guys have serious talent.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
With two roided up monsters and the second highest payroll in the history of baseball (at the time) on his side, sure.
Don't forget the ability to cheat the draft by offering over slot $$$ to any player that fell to later rounds.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...