White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 PM
WSI Personality

Yankee fans are probably all hurt that he was drafted and developed by the Yankees and still left. Sucks for them. Not. BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Regarding post about all-time Yankees, I'd take Graig Nettles over Alex Rodriguez. When I think of Graig Nettles, I think of his Yankee years. When I think of Alex Rodriguez, I think PEDs and drama.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
C. Yogi Berra...small argument for Bill Dickey
1B. Lou Gehrig
2B. Tony Lazzeri, Joe Gordon, Willie Randolph or Robinson Cano.
SS. Derek Jeter
3B. Alex Rodriguez....Maybe Craig Nettles if you give PED discounts.
OF. Joe DiMaggio
OF. Mickey Mantle
OF. Babe Ruth
FWIW: Lazzeri, Gordon, Randolph, Rodriguez, Nettles and Ruth -- half of the names on your list (and all the second basemen) played for teams other than the Yankees during their careers.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I can see why Cano would leave due to the contract but years down the road I bet he regrets leaving the Yankees. He could have been ranked the best Yankee secondbaseman of all time, had his number retired as a Yankee, won more pennants and still have more money anyone could dream of. Now he's going to play for the Mariners, who are never a lock to make the playoffs. I can kinda side with Yankee fans on this one only because second base on a alltime Yankee list is the weakest position and Yankee fans tend to love history.
I don't side with Yankee fans on this one at all. Were Yankee fans aghast that Reggie Jackson, after having a fine season and leading the AL in slugging percentage in 1976, left a great Orioles team with a Hall of Fame manager in Earl Weaver to go play for the Yankees? Please. I am sure that Yankee fans could care less. And those Orioles were in the middle of a historically great era under Weaver. They would win pennants again in 1979 and, unfortunately, in 1983 under manager Joe Altobelli.

And, you know, Seattle sure sounds a lot more appealing to me than New York. It is sure fun to visit New York but given its size and lack of space, it must pose certain difficulties and challenges for anyone living there.

I am sure that Robinson Cano is quite happy with his decision to sign with Seattle.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Can we please stop trying to portray an entire fan base/city/school/whatever based on a selected group of idiots on Twitter?

That device can be used to support literally any cause.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Babe Ruth was a true Yankee.

He kept the Red Sox away from a World Series title for many decades.

All hail The Rick
Old 12-14-2013, 12:43 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
And, you know, Seattle sure sounds a lot more appealing to me than New York. It is sure fun to visit New York but given its size and lack of space, it must pose certain difficulties and challenges for anyone living there.
Well, come on, to any sane person, New York > everywhere else, that's just the way it is. The Mariners just offered more dough. That's what these things come down to. These are professionals, this is their job, their career. 99.9% of the time, they go for the money. Nothing wrong with that.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 12-14-2013, 02:04 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I'm willing to wager he wins as many pennants in Seattle as he would have in New York.
I would take that bet. The AL West is probably tougher than the AL East as of right now.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Yankee fans are probably all hurt that he was drafted and developed by the Yankees and still left. Sucks for them. Not. BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Regarding post about all-time Yankees, I'd take Graig Nettles over Alex Rodriguez. When I think of Graig Nettles, I think of his Yankee years. When I think of Alex Rodriguez, I think PEDs and drama.
I really can't argue with that. I think most Yankee fans would agree too.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
FWIW: Lazzeri, Gordon, Randolph, Rodriguez, Nettles and Ruth -- half of the names on your list (and all the second basemen) played for teams other than the Yankees during their careers.
Everyone on that list with the exception of Rodriguez is remembered as a Yankee. Cano will be hated in NewYork. I bet even fans warm up to Rodriguez as time goes by. Cano will never get respect from NY fans. Personally I would have done what Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Pettite and Bernie Williams all did and retire as a Yankee. All i'm saying is when Cano is 70 years old I bet he will regret not retiring as a Yankee. I know this is a business but there is still something about being idolized in New York and that means alot more than money.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I don't side with Yankee fans on this one at all. Were Yankee fans aghast that Reggie Jackson, after having a fine season and leading the AL in slugging percentage in 1976, left a great Orioles team with a Hall of Fame manager in Earl Weaver to go play for the Yankees? Please. I am sure that Yankee fans could care less. And those Orioles were in the middle of a historically great era under Weaver. They would win pennants again in 1979 and, unfortunately, in 1983 under manager Joe Altobelli.

I am sure that Robinson Cano is quite happy with his decision to sign with Seattle.
Oriole fans and the Orioles team were pretty happy to see Jackson go. If anyone was mad, it was Oakland fans. At the same time, Oakland deserved what they got, They win three straight WS titles and only average 10.000 fans. If I was Reggie Jackson, I woulda bolted for the East Coast too. Also this was the start of free agency so the comparison is ridiculous.

Cano is leaving a great baseball city for a city that barely even knows they have a baseball team. Before you tell me Seattle is a great baseball town, i'm gonna tell ya. No it's really not. I realize it's Cano's life and he can do what he wants but someday it will eat at him for leaving and if it doesn't then like I said he never deserved to wear a Yankee uniform.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I would take that bet. The AL West is probably tougher than the AL East as of right now.
We talking pennants or division titles?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Oriole fans and the Orioles team were pretty happy to see Jackson go. If anyone was mad, it was Oakland fans. At the same time, Oakland deserved what they got, They win three straight WS titles and only average 10.000 fans. If I was Reggie Jackson, I woulda bolted for the East Coast too. Also this was the start of free agency so the comparison is ridiculous.

Cano is leaving a great baseball city for a city that barely even knows they have a baseball team. Before you tell me Seattle is a great baseball town, i'm gonna tell ya. No it's really not. I realize it's Cano's life and he can do what he wants but someday it will eat at him for leaving and if it doesn't then like I said he never deserved to wear a Yankee uniform.
I'm willing to bet it won't... and that his family will agree with him.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

If he was worth so much to the Yankees as a true Yankee along the likes of Williams or Jeter or whomever else, then the Yankees should have paid him what he could get on the market to make it so. They did not, and that's on no one but Cashman and the Yankees front office.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
I realize it's Cano's life and he can do what he wants but someday it will eat at him for leaving and if it doesn't then like I said he never deserved to wear a Yankee uniform.
Yeah, I'm sure he'll be ok with that. As far as deserving to wear a Yankee uniform...that's all bull**** too. The Yankees are just a Major League baseball team. Yes, they've won more titles than any other team, but they aren't any better than any other team. They just pay better. That's all.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Yeah, I'm sure he'll be ok with that. As far as deserving to wear a Yankee uniform...that's all bull**** too. The Yankees are just a Major League baseball team. Yes, they've won more titles than any other team, but they aren't any better than any other team. They just pay better. That's all.
You gotta remember the Yankees bought up alot of guys through their farm system and took care of them and thats a big reason why they always had a big payroll. Yeah they did sign some free agents too but they have always kept a core to build around. The Yankees are not just a baseball team either, they are arguably the best organization in sports.