White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Yankees "fans" on Cano

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3532--mlb.html

I just love the fact that Yankees fans are calling someone "out" for money grubbing.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Everybody's All-American

Wow. Some people take their sports a little too seriously.

And yeah, every player on the Yankees is playing for the game, and not the paycheck. Please.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

It's not like a fan of any other team to defend the Yankees, but Yankee fans calling out a player for being money grubbing? That's rich. Bunch of self-righteous asses, these 17 people, if you ask me.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-13-2013, 10:25 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It's not like a fan of any other team to defend the Yankees, but Yankee fans calling out a player for being money grubbing? That's rich. Bunch of self-righteous asses, these 17 people, if you ask me.
What? Don't you know that free agents come to the Yankees for the PRIVILEGE and HONOR of wearing the Pinstripes? It has absolutely nothing to do with the millions of dollars they can bid over almost everyone else. They'd all play for the Yankees for free, if they had to, EXCEPT CANO.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
WSI Personality

I can see why Cano would leave due to the contract but years down the road I bet he regrets leaving the Yankees. He could have been ranked the best Yankee secondbaseman of all time, had his number retired as a Yankee, won more pennants and still have more money anyone could dream of. Now he's going to play for the Mariners, who are never a lock to make the playoffs. I can kinda side with Yankee fans on this one only because second base on a alltime Yankee list is the weakest position and Yankee fans tend to love history.

C. Yogi Berra...small argument for Bill Dickey
1B. Lou Gehrig
2B. Tony Lazzeri, Joe Gordon, Willie Randolph or Robinson Cano.
SS. Derek Jeter
3B. Alex Rodriguez....Maybe Craig Nettles if you give PED discounts.
OF. Joe DiMaggio
OF. Mickey Mantle
OF. Babe Ruth

Cano deff would have no argument as the best had he stayed.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I can see why Cano would leave due to the contract but years down the road I bet he regrets leaving the Yankees. He could have been ranked the best Yankee secondbaseman of all time, had his number retired as a Yankee, won more pennants and still have more money anyone could dream of. Now he's going to play for the Mariners, who are never a lock to make the playoffs. I can kinda side with Yankee fans on this one only because second base on a alltime Yankee list is the weakest position and Yankee fans tend to love history.
Pretty sure Cano really doesn't really care about his place in Yankees history. He, like other players, go where they can make the most money. It's not an indictment of him. He's doing what he considers best for him. But it's a little hypocritical of Yankee fans saying he was wrong to chase the money, when most of the players on their current roster did the exact same thing.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Pretty sure Cano really doesn't really care about his place in Yankees history. He, like other players, go where they can make the most money. It's not an indictment of him. He's doing what he considers best for him. But it's a little hypocritical of Yankee fans saying he was wrong to chase the money, when most of the players on their current roster did the exact same thing.
If Yankee fans were complaining about guys like Vernon Wells, Ichiro Suzuki or Mark Teixera leaving for more money then I could agree. Obviously Cano is viewed alot differently than these other guys.

Cano should care about his place in Yankee history because he'll probably regret it when it's all said and done. If he doesn't care then it's probably better that he left because like one of those Yankee fans said. He's not a true Yankee.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:06 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
If Yankee fans were complaining about guys like Vernon Wells, Ichiro Suzuki or Mark Teixera leaving for more money then I could agree. Obviously Cano is viewed alot differently than these other guys.

Cano should care about his place in Yankee history because he'll probably regret it when it's all said and done. If he doesn't care then it's probably better that he left because like one of those Yankee fans said. He's not a true Yankee.
"True Yankee," what a load of crap. This isn't a hobby for him, this is his job. These guys are mercenaries, they're not here to make everyone feel gooey and warm on the inside. This isn't the 50's any more where guys only stuck around with one team for a career because they were legally barred from free agency. Flip the question, maybe if the Yankees really believed Cano was a "true Yankee," they wouldn't have allowed another team to outbid them? The ball is in the Yankees court, if the Yankees actually cared about their own history and preserving their greatness, they wouldn't have underbid the Mariners? Blaming Cano for taking the money is preposterous. Being considered a "true Yankee" isn't worth anything.

And frankly, this talk is silly because if Cano plays the way he has, he will go down as one of the best 2B in BASEBALL history, which, I am guessing means more to any player than whatever laundry he's wearing.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:

Besides Jeter, who on that team is? Being a "true Yankee" really doesn't mean much anymore. That's all garbage. Being a "true Yankee" means the Yankee organization was able to pay more than any other team could. These players didn't sign for the honor of playing for the Yankees. They signed because the Yankees offered more than anyone else did.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Besides Jeter, who on that team is? Being a "true Yankee" really doesn't mean much anymore. That's all garbage. Being a "true Yankee" means the Yankee organization was able to pay more than any other team could. These players didn't sign for the honor of playing for the Yankees. They signed because the Yankees offered more than anyone else did.
Exactly. Was Sabathia being a true Indian or true Brewer when he signed with the Yanks? Was Texeira being a true Ranger or true Brave? Was Burnett being a true Blue Jay? Please, Yanks fans should get over themselves.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
"True Yankee," what a load of crap. This isn't a hobby for him, this is his job. These guys are mercenaries, they're not here to make everyone feel gooey and warm on the inside. This isn't the 50's any more where guys only stuck around with one team for a career because they were legally barred from free agency.
Amen. No one is a "true" anything anymore, except maybe a guy who voluntarily sticks with a team his entire career, like a Biggio or Bagwell or Helton.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Amen. No one is a "true" anything anymore, except maybe a guy who voluntarily sticks with a team his entire career, like a Biggio or Bagwell or Helton.
Exactly, though I would add a player like Frank to the list Not just because I want to, but because even A's and Jays fans would agree that Frank is a "true White Sox."
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Exactly, though I would add a player like Frank to the list Not just because I want to, but because even A's and Jays fans would agree that Frank is a "true White Sox."
I would call Paulie a "true White Sox".
Old 12-13-2013, 02:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He could have been ranked the best Yankee secondbaseman of all time, had his number retired as a Yankee, won more pennants and still have more money anyone could dream of.
I'm willing to wager he wins as many pennants in Seattle as he would have in New York.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Even with Jeter, he was probably overpaid (relative to his market value) so the Yankees could keep him for the long-term. I don't see any reason why the Yankees couldn't have done the same for Cano.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.