White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Default MLB likely to ban plate collisions

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24371196
I understand that safety is involved here, but why take out one of the more well-known features of the game? That's probably just the baseball purist in me coming out though.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:35 PM
MMXXIII

Good. Serves no purpose.

0-1

LAST GAME: April 12 - Indians 12, Sox 6
NEXT GAME: April 16 vs. Boston
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
WSI High Priest

43 years too late for this guy:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...game-collision

Old 12-11-2013, 04:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
BS. http://deadspin.com/5314473/why-pete...-fosses-career

I also take issue with the contention that the game wasn't as big a deal back then. Of course there was not all the All Star game hoopla back then, but the players actually played the game to win. Especially the NL team which by 1970 had come to dominate the game. I don't wish to defend the Pete Rose that gambled on games, but he was a marvel as a player and did nothing wrong in that collision. If you analyze it frame by frame he starts to go into a slide and with Fosse blocking his path in a split second changes course and we have this epic collision. Fosse admits as much. Because of the often suddenly changeable nature of the play, how or when the catcher gets the ball, the proximity of the runner to the catcher and the plate, how it is even possible to avoid all home plate collisions. It just seems in the modern era that we are going to do our best to remove as much risk as possible from life.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Blocking the plate is stupid. Sweep tag!!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Frank Thomas was already following this ban years ago.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

It'll be just like when I played in high school when exciting plays at the plate were decided not by whether there was a tag or a safe runner, but rather the umpire making a judgement call on who sidestepped who more inappropriately.

In my conference back then, the two most offensive things you could do in a game were to make a clumsy side at the plate or to be a defender who faked a throw or a catch to try to trick a runner. The umpires would threaten suspensions and ejections any time those things happened, especially if the decoy play by the defender resulted in someone sliding clumsily because they thought they needed to when they didn't.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post

I also take issue with the contention that the game wasn't as big a deal back then. Of course there was not all the All Star game hoopla back then, but the players actually played the game to win. Especially the NL team which by 1970 had come to dominate the game. I don't wish to defend the Pete Rose that gambled on games, but he was a marvel as a player and did nothing wrong in that collision. If you analyze it frame by frame he starts to go into a slide and with Fosse blocking his path in a split second changes course and we have this epic collision. Fosse admits as much. Because of the often suddenly changeable nature of the play, how or when the catcher gets the ball, the proximity of the runner to the catcher and the plate, how it is even possible to avoid all home plate collisions. It just seems in the modern era that we are going to do our best to remove as much risk as possible from life.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. In some ways, I think the All-Star Game was bigger then than it is now. I'm pretty sure the television ratings were stronger than they are now. It could have been that the writer misinterpreted Fosse saying there wasn't anything leading up to the game as the game being more low-key.

A few years later, I don't know if it was 1973 or 1974, or even '75, I remember Ray Fosse catching for the A's in Old Chomsky, and he was having a lot of problems throwing the ball back to the pitcher. We were laughing at the way he was cocking his arm a few times. We didn't realize the pain he must have been in.

As for collisions at home plate, I can see the reason to ban it, just as I can see the reason to minimize the hits in football, although baseball didn't just settle a lawsuit from players. I just don't know how practical it would be. The catcher can set up in a specific spot to avoid a collision but the quality of the throw he is receiving often has more to do with whether there is a collision. The collision that effectively ended Dick Allen's superstar run for the White Sox in 1973 happened because of where Bill Melton threw the ball, not because Allen or Mike Epstein instigated the collision.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Frank Thomas was already following this ban years ago.
Ha! Brings to mind Reebok's "Big Hurt" campaign long ago which, if I recall correctly, included a commercial of Frank coming around third and heading home accompanied by a very intimidating soundtrack suggesting an absolute steamroll.

Not too long after the commercial debuted Frank had the perfect opportunity to "live up" to the promises of his new shoe by trucking some dude at the plate but, instead, slowed down and was tagged out meekly...standing up. The commercial seemed to peter away after that. Lol.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:54 PM
WSI Personality

This is a disappointment. I feel plate collisions are one of the coolest plays in the game. Let's just all live in bubbles and completely eliminate all risk from all activities. While they are at it, they should just replace the baseball with a tennis ball. Can't have anyone getting beaned with a baseball and getting hurt.

Anticipated next game: 4/26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post

Quote:
Yes, Fosse was hurt, but he never went on the disabled list and played 42 games in the second half. (As Rose loves to remind people, he missed three games with a bruised knee.)
Not going on the DL isn't proof that the injury was BS.

Hey, I never said Pete Rose was right or wrong for this action in the play. But, like the new ban or not, it was the type of play that Fosse was injured in.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
This is a disappointment. I feel plate collisions are one of the coolest plays in the game. Let's just all live in bubbles and completely eliminate all risk from all activities. While they are at it, they should just replace the baseball with a tennis ball. Can't have anyone getting beaned with a baseball and getting hurt.
Well, I figured this kind of response was inevitable.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I see enforcement problems with this.

All hail The Rick
Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Not going on the DL isn't proof that the injury was BS.

Hey, I never said Pete Rose was right or wrong for this action in the play. But, like the new ban or not, it was the type of play that Fosse was injured in.
My BS comment was meant to convey that I don't believe Fosse's career was ruined by that particular play. Of course he was hurt by it. Fosse had three productive years after the incident at home plate with Rose. Then the injuries, which included breaking up a fight between teammates began to take their toll.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Ha! Brings to mind Reebok's "Big Hurt" campaign long ago which, if I recall correctly, included a commercial of Frank coming around third and heading home accompanied by a very intimidating soundtrack suggesting an absolute steamroll.

Not too long after the commercial debuted Frank had the perfect opportunity to "live up" to the promises of his new shoe by trucking some dude at the plate but, instead, slowed down and was tagged out meekly...standing up. The commercial seemed to peter away after that. Lol.
I remember that play vividly. Sox were in Cleveland about two weeks before the '94 strike. I found the box score and play-by-play here.

Frank's out by 20 feet and you're just waiting for him to blow up Alomar. Tip-toed into the tag. Didn't even bother to try to slide hard or anything to knock the ball loose. My wife has hit me harder hugging me than Frank hit Alomar.

I remember this because the Sox had a 1 game lead going onto that game. I'm yelling at the TV, frothing at the mouth because you're playing for first place and this is all you bring?!!

I'd like to hear what Carlton Fisk thinks about this proposed ban. His left knee was wrecked in Cleveland in '73 on a play at the plate. By all accounts the impact bent his knee completely the other way and destroyed it.

There were fears that he'd never be able to catch again and after that point he never tried to block the plate again. He always set up in front of the plate and used the sweep tag.