White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
No worries, Sale is going nowhere.

No, Paulino -- unlike Axelrod -- throws very hard. And, in 2012, he appeared to turn the corner pitching for KC when he got injured.

Paulino is a low risk gamble, though, so why not take a chance?
Not just Sale. I don't want to trade any pitcher (short of Veal or Troncoso) for a rent.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Another hoping for a miracle move.
As of now 2014 is looking like maybe winning 70 games.
Does anyone here have an idea what Hahn is up to?
Taking a small risk on a guy with a great arm. This is exactly what the Sox need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Trying to bring some talent into this organization. Even before the bottom fell out, we were razor thin all around. Last year we had a bullpen of veal and Troncoso.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Not just Sale. I don't want to trade any pitcher (short of Veal or Troncoso) for a rent.

Sox have a surplus of starting pitching so it makes a lot of sense to try to move at least one to shore up some other weaknesses. If a short term boost to the offense is more beneficial than a 6th starter, I say do it.

For anyone to give up on this season because we signed this guy or to lose faith in Hahn over this signing is ridiculous in my opinion. Piss poor defense and an anemic offense are far bigger concerns to me right now.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
Sox sign Felipe Paulino.

Love this move
How is this move loved? It's so...just there.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
[/B]I believe I read where year two is a $4 million dollar option? Is there a buyout, I don't know?
Year 2 is a $4 M team option, but if they don't want to pick that up, there's a $250 K buy out. So at minimum, the deal is worth $1.75 M over it's two years, at maximum, $5.5 M.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Year 2 is a $4 M team option, but if they don't want to pick that up, there's a $250 K buy out. So at minimum, the deal is worth $1.75 M over it's two years, at maximum, $5.5 M.
Which is not a lot of money considering how talented this guy is. Yeah, he's coming off serious injury...but man, what a fastball he had. If Coop works his magic...this guy could be VERY good.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:46 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Which is not a lot of money considering how talented this guy is. Yeah, he's coming off serious injury...but man, what a fastball he had. If Coop works his magic...this guy could be VERY good.
Oh, I agree, I love this move, this is exactly what the Sox need to be doing.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI Regular

Count me in as one more who loves this move, plus for some reason I find his name really fun to say, so yippee on that.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 PM
WSI Personality

Coop'll fix em. I would actually love to hear Hahn or someone just say that once.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 PM
WSI Personality

I really really like this. He threw gas 2 years ago and if I remember correctly had a real nice run for a little before his injury.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Looks to me like he's building for the long term with young players and low-risk/high-reward signings, and doing it at a far lower cost. Abreu is 26 and has a high ceiling and will cost less than Konerko did last year, and less than Dunn next year. Avi Garcia also has a high ceiling, is only 22, and replaces Rios and his bloated contract in right. Leury Garcia is a potential Ozuna-style super sub with great speed, a good glove, and he's only 22. Adam Eaton is a fast, solid fielding 25 year-old center fielder who takes a lot of walks and steals a lot of bases, was the PCL MVP the year before last, but whose his price tag went way down because of an elbow injury last year which probably won't affect him again. He could be our leadoff man of the future, and his presence puts DeAza back to being our 4th outfielder, which is not a bad thing.

The signing of Paulino is just the latest in this process. The guy could be a bust, or he could be a guy we hauled off the scrap heap and, with a little faith and a healthy dose of Don Cooper, turned into something extremely valuable (see: Cliff Politte, Hector Santiago). And if it doesn't work, we're not out a ton of money.

To me, it appears that Hahn is throwing his weight at the young, the overlooked, and the discarded players who might still have something in them. I think, in some ways, he's trying to do what KW did in 04-05 with guys like Dye, Pierzynski, Podsednik, Iguchi, Uribe, Jenks and Politte.

And let's say you're right and it's a 70-win season. I think we'll do a bit better than that, but 70 is certainly possible. What have we lost? 2014 was going to be a rebuilding year anyway. Does anyone really expect us to contend? After the giant turd that was 2013, I just want to see a team that's regaining its balance and learning how to play together and with passion. I think Hahn is aiming for a team that will be very competitive from 2015-18. So far, I think he's doing a pretty good job.