White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Who is he taking ABs from?

Unless he hits 66 home runs this year, he's not getting to 500. I'm quite sure that's not part of the agenda here.

Hey Paulie, can provide referrals for some guys who can help make this goal attainable. We won't be playing much baseball next season, so we have time on our hands to work with you.

All hail The Rick
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryzner View Post
Bold prediction time! Konerko will have something of a comeback season at age 38, hitting a respectable .280, with 25 HR and knocking in 90+.

Of course your prediction is not likely, but it's also not impossible. And if Konerko has numbers anywhere close to your "bold prediction," that means a lot more time for Dunn on the bench, which is not a bad thing.

This is a no-risk signing that adds depth and potentially gives less at-bats to Dunn. I don't see the issue.

And for those people who argue that Dunn has had a better career than Konerko, I would argue that Dunn is actually the quintessential example of the limits of saber-metrics (and I like sabermetrics!). The amount of times that Dunn is an easy out has a negative impact on the game that is beyond measure and, in my opinion, more than wipes out his walks and power. And do you ever notice that so many of Dunn's home runs come in non-critical situations. Believe it or not, I'd go so far to say that many on WSI actually overrate Dunn, if that is possible.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
And last year Konerko was the 3rd worst ranked player in Baseball.
2011 Dunn was arguably the worst baseball player in the history of baseball.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Not in favor of the signing at all. But now that it's done, I'll wait to see how the roster is constructed on Opening Day before drawing a final conclusion.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
WSI High Priest

If Konerko manages 21 HRs this year, he'll tie Big Frank as the all-time Sox HR leader.

I understand the confusion/concern about roster space when you have 3 guys (Abreu, Dunn, and PK) for 1B and DH. But, I don't expect the Sox to make a run at the playoffs anyway. So, it's not like I'm going to lose sleep over this by any means.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulTerritory View Post
And for those people who argue that Dunn has had a better career than Konerko, I would argue that Dunn is actually the quintessential example of the limits of saber-metrics (and I like sabermetrics!). The amount of times that Dunn is an easy out has a negative impact on the game that is beyond measure and, in my opinion, more than wipes out his walks and power. And do you ever notice that so many of Dunn's home runs come in non-critical situations. Believe it or not, I'd go so far to say that many on WSI actually overrate Dunn, if that is possible.
Dunn has been a saber nightmare for the Sox. OWAR 2011 -2.4 2012 1.8 2013 1.0. DWAR 2011 -1.3 2012 -1.7 2013 -2.5. His career totals are OWAR 33.3 DWAR -27.7. By contrast Konerko's career totals are OWAR 33.5 DWAR -18.5.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Bring Back Geoff Blum he hit a HR to win the series. Can we bring back Contreras to help with our young staff? Willie Harris available to help with the outfielders? Hell with I'll say it. Bring Back Rowand he can pinch hit and play outfield.
If it wasn't for the "opportunistic hitting" post on this thread, this would be by far the most silly one of all. Seriously, all of this ranting over bringing back Konerko is embarrassing.

Were we supposed to be competing for the World Series in 2014? If so, I'd "love" to read some of the one-year plans that some of you have. I'm sure that they're fascinating.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM
WSI High Priest

1. PK should be starting DH against all LH starters (60 games?)
  2. Should start around 30 games as Abreu adjusts to a much longer MLB/162 game season- so that's a total of 90 games/~300 ABs
  3. Dunn typically has a trip or 2 to the DL each year- when he pulls some fat- add another 10-20 starts for that
  4. There are no young prospects who would get those ABs
  5. I am sure behind the scenes in the offseason, throughout spring training and into the season- the Sox will be trying to move Dunn
  6. There are ZERO leaders in the clubhouse right now- so I think we can use a presence like PK
I don't see downside to this.

I'm alot more frustrated that we're bringing back Tyler Flowers for $950K than I am that we're bringing PK back for one more season-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

PK on the score now
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Just because the team is ****ty, that doesn't give them a pass to make ****ty decisions.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Dunn has been a saber nightmare for the Sox. OWAR 2011 -2.4 2012 1.8 2013 1.0. DWAR 2011 -1.3 2012 -1.7 2013 -2.5. His career totals are OWAR 33.3 DWAR -27.7. By contrast Konerko's career totals are OWAR 33.5 DWAR -18.5.
Dunn has put up roughly the same OWAR in 4 fewer years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
  2. Should start around 30 games as Abreu adjusts to a much longer MLB/162 game season- so that's a total of 90 games/~300 ABs
  3. Dunn typically has a trip or 2 to the DL each year- when he pulls some fat- add another 10-20 starts for that
  5. I am sure behind the scenes in the offseason, throughout spring training and into the season- the Sox will be trying to move Dunn
  6. There are ZERO leaders in the clubhouse right now- so I think we can use a presence like PK

I'm alot more frustrated that we're bringing back Tyler Flowers for $950K than I am that we're bringing PK back for one more season-

Agree. PK is still one of the better hitters on this team in the clutch, when healthy. He is a professional hitter, who goes oppo when he needs to get that runner in from second base.

I agree that he might just have another decent year in him, and call me stupid, I like that he will have a proper goodbye next season.

As PK said on the Score....only guys who have faced a pitcher recently can tell other players what he truly features, at least tell them with credibility. Abreu will need guidance around 1st base also. PK knows the position.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Whomever takes his place. The Agenda is all about promotion. Any real team's Agenda would use this as a great time to end an era of 9 years of futility and start bringing in something new. This is a lateral move hoping to make the fans happy and put a tear in Jerrys eye
Keeping Konerko doesn't mean they aren't starting to bring in something new. Are A. Garcia and Abreu not new? I believe they are. And the offseason isn't done. There might be more "new" pieces acquired before spring training begins.

Of course you had no answer for my question about who Konerko is taking ABs from. Because the only fair answer to that question is Dunn, and nobody cares if he loses ABs.

This whole idea that Konerko was brought back to placate fans is a cynical fallacy. Since when has Konerko's presence ever sold tickets? Maybe for a few games at the end of last year? He isn't even going to play everyday. The whole argument is more manufactured outrage.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. The fact that the organization has yet to address its lackluster catching situation is the thing causing me the most frustration as a Sox fan at the moment. An upgrade at catcher is No. 1 on my offseason wish list.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Yeah, I agree. The fact that the organization has yet to address its lackluster catching situation is the thing causing me the most frustration as a Sox fan at the moment. An upgrade at catcher is No. 1 on my offseason wish list.
Yep...Welcome back, Paulie.

I'm still hoping Hahn has something up his sleeve for a catcher.