White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Paying extra for a mentor is all fine and good. A team that's getting younger will need some form of veteran leadership, so keeping him around is a good thing. If his injuries are kept in check, he can produce against lefties.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
[/U][/B]

As crazy as it sounds, Dunn has actually had a better career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Paying extra for a mentor is all fine and good. A team that's getting younger will need some form of veteran leadership, so keeping him around is a good thing. If his injuries are kept in check, he can produce against lefties.
Does anyone trust Ventura to use him in such a role? Because I sure don't.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Love PK and have since he joined the team. I can't be mad about the move until Abreu starts losing playing time because of it.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Bold prediction time! Konerko will have something of a comeback season at age 38, hitting a respectable .280, with 25 HR and knocking in 90+.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't understand why people are so upset with this. I didn't care to see Konerko back either, but who honestly thought we were competing in 2014 anyway? As long as he's not in the everyday lineup and it's a cheap contract, he could be paid merely to sign autographs for all I care. Plus, it'll be nice to see a franchise legend helping Abreu transition into a big-league player and hopefully, the same guy we've seen at first base for over a decade (with more speed, God willing).
Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The Sox have no use for Konerko. But when the kept Ventura manager they threw in the towel for the season... So take care of all of the legacies and loyalties this year and be free and clear for 2015

That's how you determined the season was over? Not the crappy lineup, lack of bullpen arms or no prospects ready to make the move to the big league club? Keeping Ventura is what is going to keep this team from competing next year. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post

That's how you determined the season was over? Not the crappy lineup, lack of bullpen arms or no prospects ready to make the move to the big league club? Keeping Ventura is what is going to keep this team from competing next year. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
That poster has been known to be a little melodramatic, but Ventura was pretty lousy last season
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

The 2014 slogan is clearly going to be '**** it'.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I don't understand why people are so upset with this. I didn't care to see Konerko back either, but who honestly thought we were competing in 2014 anyway? As long as he's not in the everyday lineup and it's a cheap contract, he could be paid merely to sign autographs for all I care. Plus, it'll be nice to see a franchise legend helping Abreu transition into a big-league player and hopefully, the same guy we've seen at first base for over a decade (with more speed, God willing).
If he's being paid to merely sign autographs, or even to tutor Abreu, they can do that without wasting a roster spot. If people advocating Konerko's return are already resigned to Paulie not contributing anything at the plate or in the field in 2014, then what's the point of bringing him back as a player, and not a coach or team ambassador or whatever?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That poster has been known to be a little melodramatic, but Ventura was pretty lousy last season
I understand that, but this team isn't going to compete next year with or without Ventura. Just seems like a stupid gripe to have coupled with unrealistic expectations.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
If he's being paid to merely sign autographs, or even to tutor Abreu, they can do that without wasting a roster spot. If people advocating Konerko's return are already resigned to Paulie not contributing anything at the plate or in the field in 2014, then what's the point of bringing him back as a player, and not a coach or team ambassador or whatever?
It's the 25th man on the roster. A Tyler Greene, Fukudome type of roster spot. Who cares? It's a spot that routinely goes to an awful player. Maybe if he's physically feeling fine, Paulie isn't so awful. If he is awful, the spot is usually awful anyway.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
I'm glad you have the ability to see into the future unlike the rest of us commoners.

Who wins the Super Bowl in February? Does Cutler remain a Bear? Please tell us what's going to happen.
GMAB. He made a joke relating to Paulie's lack of success last season. No need to read more into it.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-04-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
It's the 25th man on the roster. A Tyler Greene, Fukudome type of roster spot. Who cares? It's a spot that routinely goes to an awful player. Maybe if he's physically feeling fine, Paulie isn't so awful. If he is awful, the spot is usually awful anyway.
Pretty much. Plus, it must have been cheaper than picking up the same kind of player elsewhere. JR knows Paulie has his back and vice versa, so he would have come cheap regardless.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI Regular

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill here