White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Ballpark Rankings

Bet you'll never guess what No. 1 is...

Link

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yikes. Why dump $100's of millions into Wrigley when it's already perfect?

All of this is subjective, but some of these are way off. Kauffman is nice, probably the cleanest public place I've ever been to, but #5? It's in the middle of nowhere and pretty characterless, even after renovations. I'd move Camden and Target up. Busch, Rogers and Citizens down.

As for the Cell, well I've only been to about 19 of existing parks, but I'd put it somwhere around 17 out of 30. It can't seem to shake its first impression, even with the renovations, and seems to fall behind as new ballparks open.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Yikes. Why dump $100's of millions into Wrigley when it's already perfect?

All of this is subjective, but some of these are way off. Kauffman is nice, probably the cleanest public place I've ever been to, but #5? It's in the middle of nowhere and pretty characterless, even after renovations. I'd move Camden and Target up. Busch, Rogers and Citizens down.

As for the Cell, well I've only been to about 19 of existing parks, but I'd put it somwhere around 17 out of 30. It can't seem to shake its first impression, even with the renovations, and seems to fall behind as new ballparks open.
To be fair, the Cell probably deserves its rating.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 AM
WSI High Priest

I was surprised the Cell is as high as it is. I thought it would have only been ahead of Oakland and Tampa

At least the guy didn't rank Fenway #1. Wrigley is world class compared to that dump

Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM
WSI Prelate

It's a terribly subjective thing. I didn't like Wrigley Field as a kid when it was, in the strictest sense of the word, a lot newer. I liked Old Comiskey. There are A's fans who will tell you, incredibly, that the coliseum on the east side of the bay (whatever they are calling it on any given day) is a better place to watch a game than AT&T, assuming it's not a late August or September when the A's are out of the divisional race and the field is striped for football even while baseball is being played.

I like Chase, formerly BOB, better than Miller Park. I like the Cell much more than Miller Park. I think the Cell is underrated even by Sox fans. Many Sox fans underrate the Cell because it isn't the old park. National surveys underrate the Cell because it isn't Wrigley. I've met people who have never been to America that revere Wrigley.

But most ratings in the 1980s would have placed Old Comiskey lower than most ratings nowadays place the Cell. In Bob Wood's Dodger Dogs to Fenway Franks (McGraw-Hill, 1988), the author, after a 1985 tour of MLB parks, does rank Old Comiskey 10th out of 26, with an overall grade of B. But he gives the park D's in layout and upkeep and seating. He gives it a D-minus in facilities. B's in the field itself and employees. Food, the scoreboard and atmosphere got A-pluses to bring up the score. Most ratings at the time, and most now, place much greater weight on the areas where the new park on 35th Street substantially improves on the old one.

In the end, these ballpark ratings only mean anything if you agree with them.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
To be fair, the Cell probably deserves its rating.
So many of the ballparks in MLB today are well-designed "retro" parks that I don't see any shame in being ranked #25.

The only park I'm surprised to see ranked higher than the Cell is the Rogers Centre. It was well-regarded when it opened in 1989, but I don't see how a multi-purpose stadium with artificial turf can rank above anything but Oakland and Tampa Bay at this point.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
... As for the Cell, well I've only been to about 19 of existing parks, but I'd put it somwhere around 17 out of 30. It can't seem to shake its first impression, even with the renovations, and seems to fall behind as new ballparks open.
Somehow I think most of these folks who are voting are still basing their votes on the pre-retrofit Cell, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that most of them haven't been there since the renovations took place. I'm not saying it's top of the line, but it has greatly improved since it opened and shouldn't be ranked as low as it is.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
Somehow I think most of these folks who are voting are still basing their votes on the pre-retrofit Cell, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that most of them haven't been there since the renovations took place. I'm not saying it's top of the line, but it has greatly improved since it opened and shouldn't be ranked as low as it is.
I disagree. It's still crappy vs. almost every - and maybe every - still-existing park I have been to.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I disagree. It's still crappy vs. almost every - and maybe every - still-existing park I have been to.
From a ranking perspective- the Cell is in the right slot in my opinion (but the Roger Centre is ranked too high- took in a game there a few years ago- the place is a dump- and should be ranked ahead of Oakland and TB only).

Overall- there are so many great ballparks now- so the bar is alot higher than it used to be.
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

The question since New Comiskey opened has always been this: is it the first of the new era of parks or the last of the old era. Recall that it was modeled after Kauffman Stadium, a single purpose baseball only park with the vast majority of seats located between the foul poles free of obstructions. It was updated with the addition of, in retrospect, far more skyboxes than the market would ever absorb, pushing the upper deck higher and steeper.

When it opened, even with the flaws, it very likely would have ranked in the top 10 of ballparks. The problem is that since that time 22 new parks have opened and a few of the others substantially renovated. Despite the mid-oughts renovations of The Cell, for the most part all new parks bested it in design, amenities and operations. Comparatively it sunk in the ratings. Food quality and variety, once near the top, has really stayed the same, but offerings at others parks have substantially improved. The skyboxes, which really forced the park's design, have fallen out of favor. The club level simply doesn't have enough seats (the five rows have to be the least found in all the new stadiums) to allow Levi to provide the variety of premium food offerings you'd expect in a Club level. We have endlessly talked about the antiquated scoreboards located in an aging space frame facade that makes up the outfield visual. And don't get me started on those cartilage crushing ramps that wind for blocks to get you out of the place, while newer parks returned to stairs and the wonder of the turn of the last century-the Down Escalator.

Where is this all leading? Well given Atlanta's recent announcement it won't be long before the gears begin turning on a strategy for a new park. I know, I know the lease. But dollars and cents will tell them whether to break it and make more cash elsewhere. The question will be whether that elsewhere is DuPage, Roosevelt and the River, or someplace that currently lacks a major league franchise.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI Personality

His list has too many numbers. Just rank them first to last. No need to say, "among ballparks built in 1990, but before 1995, in an odd-numbered year, it ranks 3 of 12."
Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Among websites built since the beginning of the Internet, that one ranks super ugly.