White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Deal appears done. Ridiculous contract. But that continues to be the theme.

The nonesense needs to stop, MLB needs a hard cap in the next CBA. Lock out the players for 2-3 seasons if that's what it takes to get this done.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Deal appears done. Ridiculous contract. But that continues to be the theme.

The nonesense needs to stop, MLB needs a hard cap in the next CBA. Lock out the players for 2-3 seasons if that's what it takes to get this done.
Why? Teams are making more money than ever before. Are there any teams in financial trouble because of big contracts? MLB has had more labor peace than any other sport in the last couple decades. I hope that continues.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Why? From almost any angle; competitiveness, finances, attendance, etc... Baseball is in the best shape it has ever been in.

The only point a hard cap serves, anyways, is to funnel money into the pockets of owners and other execs instead of the players who fans like you and me are actually going to games or tuning in to watch.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Why? Teams are making more money than ever before. Are there any teams in financial trouble because of big contracts? MLB has had more labor peace than any other sport in the last couple decades. I hope that continues.
Because people cling to this absurd notion that if player salaries are gutted, so will ticket prices, as if the owners are just going to benevolently sacrifice millions of dollars of profits they'd stand to make.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Because people have this ridiculous notion that if player salaries are gutted, so will ticket prices, as if the owners are just going to benevolently sacrifice millions of dollars of profits they'd stand to make.
Not that MLB books will ever be open, but I'd be curious as to what % of revenue now comes from ticket sales. I'd guess it's not all that high.

Of course, ticket prices are not linked to salaries, as you say.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Why? From almost any angle; competitiveness, finances, attendance, etc... Baseball is in the best shape it has ever been in.

The only point a hard cap serves, anyways, is to funnel money into the pockets of owners and other execs instead of the players who fans like you and me are actually going to games or tuning in to watch.
Because this bubble will burst eventually.

Attendance is actually on a decline and will continue to decline with the rising ticket prices in order to pay for these outragous contract. Not all teams/markets have the TV Contracts to supplement this problem.

Exanple the Sox.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Because people cling to this absurd notion that if player salaries are gutted, so will ticket prices, as if the owners are just going to benevolently sacrifice millions of dollars of profits they'd stand to make.
I think it's more of a certain sense of fairness in the system. In the NFL, every team works under the same rules and cap no matter how wealthy the owner/franchise is. I'm not sure if a hard cap in MLB works because of all the other facets of the business including the lack of international draft.

That being said, I think well run teams will continue to do well and poorly run teams will continue to be bad no matter the system you have. I just think without a salary cap, you have a higher likelihood of making the playoffs....not necessarily winning a championship.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Because this bubble will burst eventually.

Attendance is actually on a decline and will continue to decline with the rising ticket prices in order to pay for these outragous contract. Not all teams/markets have the TV Contracts to supplement this problem.

Exanple the Sox.
It is?

Also, again again again again again again again, the key factor here isn't number of butts in seats, it's amount of cash those butts paid to be in those seats. Sure, if you're looking at a straight attendance chart, if in Year A we averaged 35,000 fans per game, and the next year, Year B, we averaged only 25,000, that would be a disaster, but not if ticket prices went from $10 in Year A to $20 in Year B. Even with a 28% drop in attendance, you're still looking at a 43% increase in revenue.

The bottom line is players get these deals because the owners can afford them. These guys are enormously successful businessmen, they know what they're doing, what they can afford, etc. Don't buy into their "golly gee whiz, I had no idea what I wuz doin!" play dumb routine.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Not that MLB books will ever be open, but I'd be curious as to what % of revenue now comes from ticket sales. I'd guess it's not all that high.

Of course, ticket prices are not linked to salaries, as you say.
You'll be surprised how much higher when accounting for actual "butts in the seats."

That's the driving point. Tickets, parking, concessions, in stadium advertising.

What then leads to the massive TV deal? Butts in the seats.

You think a team playing in a half empty stadium will have any bargaining position for a massive TV deal?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

These contracts are crazy....

Granderson 4yrs, $60M
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...randerson.html

Scott Feldman 3yrs $30M
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...t-feldman.html

Coo coo for coco puffs!!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
You think a team playing in a half empty stadium will have any bargaining position for a massive TV deal?
Uh, yeah? The driving factor there is how many TV's you can beam your game into.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Uh, yeah? The driving factor there is how many TV's you can beam your game into.
Right, and with no demand at the gate a TV network will assume TV ratings will kick ass.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
You'll be surprised how much higher when accounting for actual "butts in the seats."

That's the driving point. Tickets, parking, concessions, in stadium advertising.

What then leads to the massive TV deal? Butts in the seats.

Quote:
What Doub said. One thing has nothing to do with the other.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Right, and with no demand at the gate a TV network will assume TV ratings will kick ass.
No, that's what the TV ratings are for. Or, perhaps just as importantly, how many cable subscribers the local RSN can get.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
What Doub said. One thing has nothing to do with the other.
I would love to see a study out there of how TV ratings perform relative to Team attendance.

I am willimg to bet if your attendace sucks so will your TV ratings.

**** TV ratings will equate to **** TV deal.