White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #166  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,910
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't get the Ellsbury deal. He's a quality player, but basically he's a .280/.340/.400 hitter. 20 some odd million dollars a year is ridiculous.
Nobody's ever accused the Yankees of making too much sense
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Goose Goose is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't get the Ellsbury deal. He's a quality player, but basically he's a .280/.340/.400 hitter. 20 some odd million dollars a year is ridiculous.
Was listening to ESPN1000 this morning (which I never do, so I am not sure who I was listening to) and the host (with a NY accent, mind you) state - with a deadpan voice - "this is not a bad deal at all for the Yankees..." ..."this is the going rate for these types of players now-a-days..."

I did -->
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,618
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This offseason thus far makes me cry as a Sox fan. Trade somebody and get some prospects, damnit.
Be patient. We just got some financial flexibility for the first time in many years. Doesn't make sense to make a big signing.

The trades only just started happening. If Hahn comes back empty handed from the Winter Meetings in two weeks, then we can start to be concerned.

I'm hoping Hahn cleans up in the secondary FA market in late Jan/early Feb when the real bargains can be found. Gimme a cheap C, 3B and OF that can give us over replacement level numbers and we'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,880
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Be patient. We just got some financial flexibility for the first time in many years. Doesn't make sense to make a big signing.

The trades only just started happening. If Hahn comes back empty handed from the Winter Meetings in two weeks, then we can start to be concerned.

I'm hoping Hahn cleans up in the secondary FA market in late Jan/early Feb when the real bargains can be found. Gimme a cheap C, 3B and OF that can give us over replacement level numbers and we'll be fine.
Those guys just aren't cheap...Chris Young cost, what, $7 mill

The Astros made a nice deal getting Dexter Fowler; they gave up some ex prospects who have done nothing at the ML level. Fowler would have been a big upgrade of us in CF.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 12-04-2013, 07:11 PM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,727
Default

I'll give Rick points for trying. It is hard to sell yourself to veteran free agents, when you're in rebuilding, without having to pay a ton to get them. He might have to go bargain shopping. Kurt Suzuki might be a decent option.

Last edited by SoxSpeed22; 12-04-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Language choice
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 AM
ZombieRob ZombieRob is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Posts: 7,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This offseason thus far makes me cry as a Sox fan. Trade somebody and get some prospects, damnit.
No need. Konerko is back and all is well in the Sox universe. He's really going to help the young players.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't get the Ellsbury deal. He's a quality player, but basically he's a .280/.340/.400 hitter. 20 some odd million dollars a year is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Ellsbury is already 30 and has had a history of injuries, am I the only one who thinks that this will be like the Crawford deal?
The Ellsbury deal has disaster for the Yanks written all over it. He is a good fielder and is a good baserunner but: (a) he has no arm, (b) he has no power and (c) he is constantly hurt.

I don't get what New York is doing.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,727
Default

While some of us were flipping our **** over Paul Konerko coming back, the Royals traded Will Smith (not that one) to the Brewers for Norichika Aoki.
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/new...0&vkey=news_kc
Also the Red Sox have signed Edward Mujica to a two year, $9.5 million deal.
I kind of want to improve our 8th inning relief and he would have worked pretty well.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...edward-mujica/
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
No need. Konerko is back and all is well in the Sox universe. He's really going to help the young players.
Heh, heh. These are the actual posts one sees on Facebook boards.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,721
Default

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...for-big-change

Mariners favorites for Cano?
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,910
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Apparently not any more, maybe the Jigga Man is a bit in over his head...

http://deadspin.com/reports-mariners...ano-1477850832
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
The Ellsbury deal has disaster for the Yanks written all over it. He is a good fielder and is a good baserunner but: (a) he has no arm, (b) he has no power and (c) he is constantly hurt.

I don't get what New York is doing.
This is the Yankees. They can outspend even other high payroll teams by tens of millions.

This is a typical Yankee move IMO. Throw obscene money at someone like Ellsbury and take a gamble that he'll put up all-star numbers for them. If not, it's not like this will hamstring their payroll. They can absorb a bad contract or two.

This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,618
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Those guys just aren't cheap...Chris Young cost, what, $7 mill

The Astros made a nice deal getting Dexter Fowler; they gave up some ex prospects who have done nothing at the ML level. Fowler would have been a big upgrade of us in CF.
Heck yeah. Not a bad haul for a post-prospect starter who has zero consistency and a utility outfielder. Seems like a salary dump for Colorado.

The only issue is where does George Springer play? He should arrive in the majors this year, and he's a 5-tool 40HR/40SB CF, and Fowler is only average defensively in center.

I think the Astros are a good hitting, lower strikeout DH/1B and a few bullpen arms away from starting to climb back to respectability.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,618
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Apparently not any more, maybe the Jigga Man is a bit in over his head...

http://deadspin.com/reports-mariners...ano-1477850832
That's hilarious.

The only reason (other than being in way over his head) that Jay-Z would do something like that is they don't want him in Seattle (marketing) and the meeting was just to pull a Boras move to drive up other bids.

Which of course, the reverse will happen. Nobody's going to bid above what Seattle offered if they know Jay-Z is going to pull something like that again.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM
SoxSpeed22 SoxSpeed22 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,727
Default

It's still alive and kicking.
Quote:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2m mariners are close to a deal with Robinson Cano

Expand
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.