White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM
MMXXIII

Default Terrible News!

Now that the Metrodome has been vacated by the Vikings and their new football stadium will be built in its place, I'm sure many of you, like me, were anxiously waiting to hear when the Metrodome would meet its maker in an awesome implosion, but unfortunately, as I learned today, the state of Minnesota is going to be slowly dismantling the Metrodome in pieces.

http://www.chatsports.com/minnesota-...tion-0-8680507

**** YOU, METRODOME.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 01-14-2014, 01:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Too bad. I'll settle for an awesome implosion of Nick Punto, Lew Ford and Denny Hocking.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM
WSI Prelate

There's still time for an impromptu explosive dismantling.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Looks like they dug a grave.

However, there may be a great youtube opportunity on Jan. 18, when the lights will be turned off and the roof deflated.

http://www.startribune.com/local/min...237706781.html
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought they were going to fill it with helium and let the teflon roof float it away?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

OK I admit I'm a Vikings fan (oh no!) and really havent kept up on this, but arent the Vikes going to play where the Gophers play for at least one season while new staduim is built? Where will the new one be? Is it outdoor? I hope so....I remember the Black & Blue division many yrs ago, with Bears, Pack, Lions and Vikings all outside. Great games

But as usual, greed may prevail, I'm sure the number crunchers have determined that indoor football attracts more FA's, and that a warm fan buys more concessions and team items. Now if they only had a QB

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Actually, I find the idea very of slowly dismantling the Metrodome and building the replacement stadium at about the same time interesting. I'd certainly like to see pictures of this as it happenes.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
OK I admit I'm a Vikings fan (oh no!) and really havent kept up on this, but arent the Vikes going to play where the Gophers play for at least one season while new staduim is built? Where will the new one be? Is it outdoor? I hope so....I remember the Black & Blue division many yrs ago, with Bears, Pack, Lions and Vikings all outside. Great games

But as usual, greed may prevail, I'm sure the number crunchers have determined that indoor football attracts more FA's, and that a warm fan buys more concessions and team items. Now if they only had a QB
The new stadium is being built on the site of (or maybe adjacent to) the Metrodome. That's why there's the need to tear down the dome now and have the Vikings play at the college stadium for 2 years while the new stadium is built. It will be an indoor stadium.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
The Vikings are going to play at TCF Stadium for 2 seasons until their new stadium is ready. It is being built on the same parcel as the Metrodome, if you click on the link in the OP to this thread, there is an animation that shows the plan; the new stadium isn't going to completely overlap the Metrodome, but it will essentially be in the same place.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thanks Hitmen and Double for the info....I did click on the animation, thats cool graphics. To think that place was barely 32 yrs old? Talk about a disposable stadium. How many yrs was old Comiskey when it met the wrecking ball?

I did go to some Viking games and IIRC when you entered the staduim, you got blasted for about a second by the hot air that helped hold the roof up. Terrible venue, esp for baseball
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
WSI Prelate

I revealed this info in the site's Facebook group upon my return from the Twin Cities last month. I was just as bummed as the rest of you when I found out, but I was still able to give the Dome a nice parting kick on behalf of our fan base. You're welcome.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:14 PM
WSI Guru

If you click through the links to that story, they show some animated videos of the new stadium, which looks amazing. But, ironically, it can be configured for indoor baseball (looks like Univ of Minnesota will play there). The stadium itself with all of the glass just looks amazing.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
If you click through the links to that story, they show some animated videos of the new stadium, which looks amazing. But, ironically, it can be configured for indoor baseball (looks like Univ of Minnesota will play there). The stadium itself with all of the glass just looks amazing.
The University of Minnesota is currently building a new baseball stadium so I don't think the new Vikings Stadium will see much baseball. Maybe it's just a precaution in case there's some crazy weather and the Twins cannot use Target Field.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/l...85f7aa5aa.html

The stadium is being built to be FIFA-friendly so that it can host international and club games and possibly even draw an MLS team to the Twin cities.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The University of Minnesota is currently building a new baseball stadium so I don't think the new Vikings Stadium will see much baseball. Maybe it's just a precaution in case there's some crazy weather and the Twins cannot use Target Field.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/l...85f7aa5aa.html

The stadium is being built to be FIFA-friendly so that it can host international and club games and possibly even draw an MLS team to the Twin cities.
It opened last spring, that article is from 2012.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

If it was Detroit, they'd just let the locals slowly dismantle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).