White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Very possible but he probably won't bring anything back in return. It will most likely save some cash for a few months.
I think at that point next season, that's what we'll be looking to do.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Cardinals really need a shortstop and have a strong farm system. And the Sox need to keep adding young talent. I wouldn't be surprised if Alexei starts next season in St. Louis.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
WSI Personality

In the end I think cards will sign Drew. But Alexei only makes half of what Drew will want so hopefully Hahn gets involved.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI High Priest

I would be open to trading Sale.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 11-23-2013, 03:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Ive been in that camp for awhile. I see no other way for the Sox to have a shot to be competitive in the distant future. They have nothing much of worth to trade, no farm system and wont do big splashes in fa market. I guess the only other way is to get really really lucky.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Ive been in that camp for awhile. I see no other way for the Sox to have a shot to be competitive in the distant future. They have nothing much of worth to trade, no farm system and wont do big splashes in fa market. I guess the only other way is to get really really lucky.
Did they not just spend close to $70 Million on the consensus best FA power bat available? If that ain't a splash, I don't know what is.

IMO, trading Sale is pointless. The only thing you could hope to get out of it would be a player of Sale's caliber. Even down the road there's an overwhelming chance that it would be a lateral move at best.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Me too, but it better be the moon.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Did they not just spend close to $70 Million on the consensus best FA power bat available? If that ain't a splash, I don't know what is.
70M is not much these days (McCann is getting 85M) and its one player. A big splash is building a competitive team through free agency and the Sox wont do that.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 AM
WSI Personality

Disagree

Quote:
70M is not much these days (McCann is getting 85M) and its one player. A big splash is building a competitive team through free agency and the Sox wont do that.
I have to disagree. Ask the Angels, Yankees, Blue Jays, Marlins, and Rangers how that's working out for them. I hope they do things more like the Cardinals, Reds, and A's do.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I have to disagree. Ask the Angels, Yankees, Blue Jays, Marlins, and Rangers how that's working out for them. I hope they do things more like the Cardinals, Reds, and A's do.
I never said I wanted that but it should be partially considered. If you read previous posts, this came up by me saying that trading Sale should be on the table.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Red Sox spent $50 Mil last winter and added Naopoli, Carp, Drew, Dempster, Victorino, Gomes, Ross, Uehara, and Tazawa. Ironically Dempster got the biggest contract and may have contributed less than most of them.

Hahn needs to shop in the second hand store.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Me too, but it better be the moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post

IMO, trading Sale is pointless. The only thing you could hope to get out of it would be a player of Sale's caliber. Even down the road there's an overwhelming chance that it would be a lateral move at best.
Quote:
I never said I wanted that but it should be partially considered. If you read previous posts, this came up by me saying that trading Sale should be on the table.
It's not that I want to trade Sale. I'm just not absolutely opposed to it, if trading Sale brought a great return for the Sox.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:02 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
In the end I think cards will sign Drew. But Alexei only makes half of what Drew will want so hopefully Hahn gets involved.
Looks like the Cards may sign Jhonny Peralta to be their SS.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Red Sox spent $50 Mil last winter and added Naopoli, Carp, Drew, Dempster, Victorino, Gomes, Ross, Uehara, and Tazawa. Ironically Dempster got the biggest contract and may have contributed less than most of them.

Hahn needs to shop in the second hand store.
Boston had a lot more quality goods on the shelves than the Sox do before they went shopping in the "big store".
Old 11-24-2013, 11:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Boston had a lot more quality goods on the shelves than the Sox do before they went shopping in the "big store".
Agree but I think for Hahn it has to be a 2-3 year process. What Boston decided was to get rid of some of the big contracts which they sent to the Dodgers. They then gave one to Pedroia who they felt was the face of the franchise. Then went out and signed the $50 Mil group to replace the players they lost to LA.