White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-31-2013, 02:40 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Eh, I lost interest to the point where I don't care if I'm wrong. Funny how that can happen!
Maybe I was confused by the lack of strong conviction. I probably should have left out the first sentence because I certainly didn't intend to be point-counterpointing you. I just never believed that Santos was as highly regarded in baseball as he was by the fans.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Maybe I was confused by the lack of strong conviction. I probably should have left out the first sentence because I certainly didn't intend to be point-counterpointing you. I just never believed that Santos was as highly regarded in baseball as he was by the fans.
No, you had a good point.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,848
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
I guess the stupid teams never learn (referring to the Mariners paying that much for Ellsbury).
I would like to improve center field, but not at that cost.
From where we are in CF, it wouldn't cost much at all to improve.

I think the Angels are peddling a good fielding CF. Don't know what they want for him.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-31-2013, 09:45 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I wonder if Boston has soured on Salty?
They did not extend a qualifying offer...so they've soured on him at $14 mil, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,848
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Have to take the good with the bad. Toronto probably doesn't think Daniel Webb and Myles Jaye for Jason Frasor looks too good right now, either.
Yea, but Frasor was never much. And those are the trades the Sox excel at...when it's a seemingly nothing trade.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,846
Default

Webb pitched well for the Sox in nine games in September. And Webb had a great year in the minors in 2013: 2-1 record with a 1.87 ERA at three stops from A to AAA and 11.2 K's per 9 innings. Webb might be in the Sox bullpen last year.

As for Myles Jaye, he is a 21 year old starter who at high single A (he was promoted for 1 game late in the year to AA Birmingham). He is a raw and probably needs to work on a secondary pitch. Future Sox estimates his ETA as 2016.

That is a pretty good haul for an OK middle reliever that Toronto didn't even keep.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:14 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
They did not extend a qualifying offer...so they've soured on him at $14 mil, anyway.
If Boston doesn't make a qualifying offer, then the Sox can sign Salty and not surrender a 2nd round draft pick. That is pretty important.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,848
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Anyway, they can have Beckham and Danks for a couple of their top prospects.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Except that it's already been speculated he will get that much. Ken Rosenthal a week or 2 ago stated he thinks Ellsbury could get $20 million a year. Seattle is reportedly very high on him and Rosenthal said he thinks they are going to sign him to a 6-7 year deal at $21 million per.
Wow. That's ludicrous. Ellsbury isn't the type you build a lineup around...If this is true, at this rate half the league will be making 20 mil/year before long.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-04-2013, 03:01 PM
tebman's Avatar
tebman tebman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,558
Blog Entries: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Wow. That's ludicrous. Ellsbury isn't the type you build a lineup around...If this is true, at this rate half the league will be making 20 mil/year before long.
Bill Veeck said it best: "It isn't the high price of stars that is expensive, it's the high price of mediocrity."
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
If Boston doesn't make a qualifying offer, then the Sox can sign Salty and not surrender a 2nd round draft pick. That is pretty important.
The Red Sox apparently will not give Salty a qualifying offer.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...lamacchia.html
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:41 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
The Red Sox apparently will not give Salty a qualifying offer.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...lamacchia.html
MLBtraderumors also predicted we'd sign him in their offseason preview.

I don't know who to believe. Local media is saying there won't be any more big signings, but signing Salty just makes so much damn sense.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
MLBtraderumors also predicted we'd sign him in their offseason preview.

I don't know who to believe. Local media is saying there won't be any more big signings, but signing Salty just makes so much damn sense.
I would not be a big fan of signing Salty....even though he didn't get a qualifying offer from the Red Sox. I would rather take a shot on a 1 or 2 year deal with Carlos Ruiz or bringing AJ back. I just don't think it's smart to get into a high dollar semi-long term deal with a Catcher who will add more K's to a lineup that can ill afford to have more.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I would not be a big fan of signing Salty....even though he didn't get a qualifying offer from the Red Sox. I would rather take a shot on a 1 or 2 year deal with Carlos Ruiz or bringing AJ back. I just don't think it's smart to get into a high dollar semi-long term deal with a Catcher who will add more K's to a lineup that can ill afford to have more.
I wouldn't mind Salty, but it depends on the price. MLBTradeRumors predicted 4 years and $36 million. That's nuts!
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I would not be a big fan of signing Salty....even though he didn't get a qualifying offer from the Red Sox. I would rather take a shot on a 1 or 2 year deal with Carlos Ruiz or bringing AJ back. I just don't think it's smart to get into a high dollar semi-long term deal with a Catcher who will add more K's to a lineup that can ill afford to have more.
If the move is for the next two years, it certainly should be a vetaran to help the pitchers along. K's shouldn't matter in the least because in 3-4 years when we're competing the lineup *should* be more balanced. Salty's young enough to still be here and be good.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.