White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I have never liked booing a professional athlete if they haven't perfomed on the field, because I don't believe they are intentionally trying to fail, but I can understand why people do. However, the man didn't have to donate his time to come to Soxfest, so I don't think it was right for him to be booed at a freaking fan convention, as someone upthread said. That's just wrong IMO. I don't blame him one bit if he bailed. Why would anyone want to voluntarily go to an event where they know they will be embarrassed and humiliated?
I'll just disagree with you- I have no issue at all booing an athlete on the playing field- but I wouldn't boo a player at an event like a fanfest.

BUT- I think it's cowardly of Dunn to not show up after that (unless he was truly severely ill)- take it with humor and keep it in perspective- then fly home on Monday and enjoy your millionaire lifestyle. If he's too thin skinned to handle some booing at a fanfest- then he doesn't have a prayer at handling the pressure of a pennant race, post season, etc.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Im going to sing it."
Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I read recently that Arizona has there fan festival at there stadium and they don't charge any admission price. I wonder how many other teams have there fan conventions and don't charge admission.
If it was free, then the crowds would be extremely large, and nobody would have a good time. It is more expensive to attend than what it used to be, but you have to consider that the exclusivity of the event requires a higher price. And no, the Sox couldn't have this type of event at US Cellular in January.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Is there a hard-to-see apostrophe there, and perhaps there is a Dunn belonging to Adam? Or are there plural Adam Dunns? Because the latter is kind of a terrifying thought.
I would have taken it as a contraction. Adam is Dunn.

Too bad he doesn't go home when he's booed at the park.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'll just disagree with you- I have no issue at all booing an athlete on the playing field- but I wouldn't boo a player at an event like a fanfest.

BUT- I think it's cowardly of Dunn to not show up after that (unless he was truly severely ill)- take it with humor and keep it in perspective- then fly home on Monday and enjoy your millionaire lifestyle. If he's too thin skinned to handle some booing at a fanfest- then he doesn't have a prayer at handling the pressure of a pennant race, post season, etc.
Ehhh, this is a pretty bad way to think about it. I get it, Dunn makes a lot of money, a lot of baseball players do. He was not for the first bad contract we ever signed, he is not the last. That said, this is a fanfest. If you go, you should be a fan of the team. That means hoping Dunn has a great year and helps us win, not has a terrible year so you can keep hating him.

This mentality is one of the things that makes you cringe about being a Sox fan. Gives all of us a bad reputation. Yes, boo a guy at a game, so be it. Boo him for showing up to Soxfest? Get over yourselves and go back to your dayjobs. (That was not aimed at you TomBradley, just those who did boo).
Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Wow. I'm disappointed in Sox fans. Doesn't matter how bad he is, you don't boo a guy for showing up. That's some meatball ****.
I hate fans booing their own players at games. Doing this on a fan convention is 10x more shameful.

Bunch of jackasses.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Ehhh, this is a pretty bad way to think about it. I get it, Dunn makes a lot of money, a lot of baseball players do. He was not for the first bad contract we ever signed, he is not the last. That said, this is a fanfest. If you go, you should be a fan of the team. That means hoping Dunn has a great year and helps us win, not has a terrible year so you can keep hating him.

This mentality is one of the things that makes you cringe about being a Sox fan. Gives all of us a bad reputation. Yes, boo a guy at a game, so be it. Boo him for showing up to Soxfest? Get over yourselves and go back to your dayjobs. (That was not aimed at you TomBradley, just those who did boo).
Well said. I can possibly understand booing an athlete if they are being an ******* to the fans. But to do this with someone that has taken the slings and arrows from fans- during games- at a fanfest is classless IMO. He's there as a representative of the White Sox. And millionaire or not, once off the playing field, he's just another human being, that doesn't deserve to be disrespected and/or embarrassed.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
Garage sales was terrible, the person pricing items has no clue as to current market values. $1500 for a Konerko jersey? $1000 for Sale? $200 for a 83 Leury Garcia? $30 Baines bobbleheads?

$200 for a Peavy signed ball and $150 fro Rios? You wouldn't sell out on those baseball at one tenth those prices.

Its a shame. There were no lines for checkout at all on Saturday afternoon
I don't disagree that they price stuff weird, but the stack of bobbles and statues I saw on Friday night about 6pm vs the stack I saw Sunday afternoon shows me that they made a bunch of cash. Same with most of the '83 jerseys, and honestly if a no name is worth $150, Konerko or Sale might be worth those prices to some people. Also, if you get an authentic jersey brand new, it is well over $150. I picked up a jacket, brand new for $75. The '83 ones were nice, but fit a bit tighter. Those were only $100. Sweatshirts were $50, all much lower than retail for these items.

Baseball auto's have been a joke for years, along with lineup cards. Best deal they had was the game used pants for $10. Ha.

It was one of the weakest showings for the garage sale I have ever seen. However, if you were looking for '83 gear they did have some.

Chicago Sports? The place on Michigan had crazy deals on shirts. Nike shirts for $10, Polos for $25. It was all pretty cheap. I stocked up a bit.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
There was an 83 style #20 helmet marked $200 with Quentin on the tag. Fairly certain though it was Jordan Danks' helmet from last year.

The cherry Aquafina sample, whatever it was called, was quite tasty.
I have been to most of the recent sales, that helmet has been there for years. Pretty sure it was Quentin's.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Bo Jackson needs to change his tune. It's ridiculous that he wouldn't sign people's items, nor would he personalize the giveaway photo when asked. It was all the more silly considering he was just named a team ambassador. The team and Jackson should both be embarrassed by what happened Sunday. If he isn't going to sign people's items then don't invite him to Soxfest.
Bo Jackson played in the pro's for 8 years. I don't know how much he made, but I am pretty sure he makes his living now from signing his name. I thought him even doing this when he can make about $100 a pop, was pretty awesome. He was also very personable.

From what I heard, Frank Thomas can't sign "The Big Hurt" unless he is at his sponsors event wonder if that will happen with HOF too. I'd sell my name too if I could, seems like a great retirement plan.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 PM
WSI Regular

I was there all three days, and compared to last year, I liked it much better. Less people, shorter lines, just an overall better time. For me anyways.

I really wish the Sox would set up some sort of rule on when you can get a an autograph band. I waited for Bo, got out before 10, Thome's bands were already gone. He didn't sign till 12. Contrast that to the previous day when I couldn't get a band for Kittle and Melton till an hour before the signing. Kinda dumb.

Always have a good time shooting the breeze with other Sox fans while in line. Seems like people are pretty excited for the coming year, that is awesome.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I have never liked booing a professional athlete if they haven't perfomed on the field, because I don't believe they are intentionally trying to fail, but I can understand why people do. However, the man didn't have to donate his time to come to Soxfest, so I don't think it was right for him to be booed at a freaking fan convention, as someone upthread said. That's just wrong IMO. I don't blame him one bit if he bailed. Why would anyone want to voluntarily go to an event where they know they will be embarrassed and humiliated?
First off, I bet that he had to show up per contract. He doesn't do anything in the offseason related to getting in baseball shape, so why would he do anything else baseball related. Pathetic and get him off our team. I've been anti-Dunn since the moment we heard his name attached to rumors, and probably as loud about it around here as anyone (and taken a lot of heat for years from this board).

That being said, whomever booed him was 100% completely wrong. I'm embarrassed as a Sox fan for that. He was at a convention with kids and probably with his family. This is a family event and a celebration of all things White Sox. Just unbelievable sad to boo at a convention like that. Wrong on all levels. The only booing should be at the prices in the garage sale it sounds like. If I had been there, I might have gone up to Dunn and apologized for others behaviors as a human being. Sad.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM
WSI Guru

Best part of Sunday was when Hanger18 asked Robin and Coop in the last seminar if they could put the sock and tuxedo stripe back on the uniforms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (24).jpg (95.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Bo was very personable? At times, yes. At times, no. The 20-something guy behind me asked Bo if he could sign the photo "To Phil." Bo replied, "Phil, I'm not going to do that." Of course, Bo wasn't the only with an attitude. Phil reported that he got Dunn to autograph something while walking out of his scheduled session after asking Dunn if he could sign one, to which Dunn replied, "You know it's never 'just one.'" Frank's been treated like a god since he was elected to the Hall of Fame, but he can't/won't add "HOF 2014" to his graph? Lame. Even Konerko, who has been generally great with signing for fans over the years had this exchange with a fan: Konerko signs a ball and the fan asks him if he can add some kind of personalization or inscription. Konerko looks at him, shrugs and says, "Go ahead and add whatever you want. I don't do that." Okaaaaaaay.

My point is that players are far too often too difficult for no good reason. At a fan event such as Soxfest, they should be unfailingly cooperative.

I'll add the possibility that Dunn really may have been sick or perhaps he was just hung over. He did not look good at his 9 a.m. signing session. In fact, I was taken a back by him wearing a plain white t-shirt that made him look that he just rolled out of bed five minutes before the session. I'll also note, though, that he was there signing autographs for all three days, which certainly wasn't the case for many others, and it was my experience that he was polite to everyone. It's funny that for a guy so many are quick to rip and boo his autograph lines sure filled up quickly.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
Bo Jackson played in the pro's for 8 years. I don't know how much he made, but I am pretty sure he makes his living now from signing his name. I thought him even doing this when he can make about $100 a pop, was pretty awesome. He was also very personable.
Bo made about 6.852 Million as player.

He is now the President of a bank he founded.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Some guys are just weird about personalizing stuff. Sometimes it's a contractual issue. I know that the security personnel often want them to keep is as quick and streamlined as they can. Doesn't particularly bother me either way.

I remember a few years ago, Bob Shaw, Jim Landis, Jim Rivera, and Billy Pierce were in the same signing room. I asked if they could personalize one for my Dad, which they not only did, but added little personal notes as well. I usually don't ask, so that really stuck with me.