White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 PM
WSI Personality

Saw Beggars Pizza in the food lineup. Any chance they replace Connie's at the park?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosalbarojas View Post
Saw Beggars Pizza in the food lineup. Any chance they replace Connie's at the park?
Connie's was replaced by DiGiornio's a few years ago
Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 PM
WSI Personality

DiGiornios is what I meant. Haven't eaten pizza at the park in a while.

Do you know the answer?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosalbarojas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Connie's was replaced by DiGiornio's a few years ago
The other night I was told by a source who's close to the situation that Beggars, and not DiGiornos, will be the pizza at USCF this season.

I was hoping something, anything, would replace DiGiornos - the fact that it's Beggars - something I grew up with - is even better, IMO.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 PM
WSI Personality

Thanks Harry potter. Appreciate the response.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:45 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
The other night I was told by a source who's close to the situation that Beggars, and not DiGiornos, will be the pizza at USCF this season.

I was hoping something, anything, would replace DiGiornos - the fact that it's Beggars - something I grew up with - is even better, IMO.
That's great news, having DiGiornio's as your official pizza, in Chicago, is embarrassing. The fact that Beggar's is one of the better local chains, IMO, is even better.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Was there any word anywhere about what (if anything) they're doing as a special Sunday thing this year? I saw a picture somewhere of a new 83-style BP cap, so does that mean they're going to just stick with the 83 thing even though it's not the anniversary anymore?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
So, after being booed early on Saturday, Dunn was scheduled to participate in two additional seminars (one on Saturday, one on Sunday). He did not show up for either. On Saturday, he was replaced by Erik Johnson. I wonder if this was his choice, or if the Sox asked him not to go out there. Either way, an awkward situation that I've never seen at Soxfest.
I was looking forward to seeing him at that seminar.

I took this picture of a limo waiting outside on Wabash on Saturday afternoon

Here's a closer look at the name sign

Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger View Post
I was looking forward to seeing him at that seminar.

I took this picture of a limo waiting outside on Wabash on Saturday afternoon

Here's a closer look at the name sign

Is there a hard-to-see apostrophe there, and perhaps there is a Dunn belonging to Adam? Or are there plural Adam Dunns? Because the latter is kind of a terrifying thought.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

A few observations after spending three days at Soxfest:

Early arrivals Friday were way down. At roughly 1 p.m. there were only about 40 or so people in line. I don't know if anyone from the organization took notice, but that should be a big red flag. The word heard was 80-something fewer hotel rooms were booked this year. Attendance throughout the three days, while decent, was definitely down. Most of the autograph sessions sold out, but you had plenty of room to walk around the event.

My biggest complaint is that Friday is clearly not only for weekend hotel guests as the Sox advertise. A sizeable number of people had one-day Friday passes. If the Sox want to continue to give these passes to people they want to take care of such as season-ticket holders, volunteers, those with connections, etc., that's fine, but then they need to stop advertising that Friday is exclusively for weekend hotel guests because that's just not true. You used to be able to fly through multiple autograph lines on Friday, but now they're nearly as crowded as the ones on Saturday and Sunday. To me, it's no longer worth the extra money to attend all three days.

The Garage Sale was the lamest it's been in memory. It was mostly leftover stuff from the Yard and Holiday Sales. And much of what was there was overpriced by a lot. As had been mentioned, the autograph balls are grossly overpriced and even at that most balls are defective with faded or smudged signatures. It's just plain strange. $100 for a Crain ball? Lots of jerseys remained on the racks as of late Sunday because they were overpriced as well. Stacks of lineup cards sat on a table because they were $50 apiece. At some point don't you see that you're charging too much?

My autograph game plan was to hit the big names and I was able to get at least one autograph from each of them over the three days. Most players were cool, even when dealing with numerous wacko fans. In a shocker, Steve Stone was even a good signer, autographing baseballs on the sweet spot and not personalizing anything for the first time in years. It's obvious someone from the organization made him change his tune. Bo Jackson needs to change his tune. It's ridiculous that he wouldn't sign people's items, nor would he personalize the giveaway photo when asked. It was all the more silly considering he was just named a team ambassador. The team and Jackson should both be embarrassed by what happened Sunday. If he isn't going to sign people's items then don't invite him to Soxfest.

I spent most of my time hustling from line to line, but I did manage to attend the Frank Thomas seminar, which was great. Had nice exchanges with Thomas and Bobby Jenks when I ran into them in hallways outside of their signing sessions. Congratulated Thomas on his HOF inductions and received a hearty slap on the back and a jovial "thank you." I told Jenks I had read the story about him and assured him that he'll always be welcomed here and that we'll always remember what he did for the team. I punctuated my sentiments with a pat on his back and Jenks told me he appreciated the support.

I didn't personalize witness Dunn being booed, but felt bad reading about it. I can see perhaps booing him at the park, but at a fan fest? What the heck?! He came to the event to sign autographs, which he did for all three days, and to talk to fans. He does not deserve to be booed in that situation. What's wrong with people?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

I went to go take a picture with Dunn Friday night and he cancelled that as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 AM
WSI Personality

I read recently that Arizona has there fan festival at there stadium and they don't charge any admission price. I wonder how many other teams have there fan conventions and don't charge admission.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 AM
WSI High Priest

As far as Dunn goes- it's just a bad situation- and the sooner it's over - the better. Report in ther Trib was that he wasn't "feeling well" which led to him bailing on the rest of his commitments. It better have been a debilitating bout with the flu or something like that- to bail like he did.

Sorry to play this card- but when you've collected $40M and hit .197 over 3 seasons- there's going to be some hostility from the fans.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
As far as Dunn goes- it's just a bad situation- and the sooner it's over - the better. Report in ther Trib was that he wasn't "feeling well" which led to him bailing on the rest of his commitments. It better have been a debilitating bout with the flu or something like that- to bail like he did.

Sorry to play this card- but when you've collected $40M and hit .197 over 3 seasons- there's going to be some hostility from the fans.
I have never liked booing a professional athlete if they haven't perfomed on the field, because I don't believe they are intentionally trying to fail, but I can understand why people do. However, the man didn't have to donate his time to come to Soxfest, so I don't think it was right for him to be booed at a freaking fan convention, as someone upthread said. That's just wrong IMO. I don't blame him one bit if he bailed. Why would anyone want to voluntarily go to an event where they know they will be embarrassed and humiliated?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Maybe someone in the know can answer this. Are some players forced (or part of their contract) to go to this convention? I would think this is mandatory for some of the so called ambassadors, announcers and other employees of the Sox. I would also think that former players are compensated in some way for showing up.