White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'll join the chorus of people saying SoxFest is overpriced. It seems like they've really had trouble selling that thing the past couple years, and now they are coming off a historically bad season. You would think that would lead to lower prices for this event, but it has not.

Granted, I would never buy a hotel package. I can't fit it around my work schedule, and I'm not much of an autograph collector anyway. However, I would buy a day pass for Saturday and listen to the seminars and ask questions, if I thought it was reasonably priced. Alas, the cost is higher than what I'm willing to pay for that experience, so I don't go.
I think the day pass was $25 last year. I think that is pretty reasonable. It was insane to get autographs. Way too much waiting for a signature in my book. The seminars as a Sox fan were awesome.

Rooms at the Palmer house for that weekend are $130 a night if you don't go to the event. I can't imagine that the Sox are making anything off that hotel. My guess would be they get the space for free in exchange for the room fees. You can sell the bobblehead that they usually give out for at least $100 so you recoup some of your money.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Personality

I haven't been to a SoxFest since 2005 but with the high ticket prices and less than favorable reviews the Palmer House gets on this site I really have no desire to go back. I had no complaints about the Hyatt and loved when you could get a Sunday only pass for $15 (those were the days!). Sunday always seemed more laid back and most guests were on their way out so it was my preferred day to visit.

I'm not sure single day passes were only $25 last year, but I could be wrong. I might have went if they were.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Oh, the Palmer House is quite the hole for an "historic" hotel.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
I'm not sure single day passes were only $25 last year, but I could be wrong. I might have went if they were.
My bad, they were $35 for Sunday only. I could swear they got cheaper than that.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...r_cws&c_id=cws
Old 10-29-2013, 05:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

In additon to all the above, it's incredible to me that the Sox marketing team strenuously ignores the huge influx of people, tons of them Sox fans, who have moved into the area and reside too close to the Fest site to want or need a hotel room. I'm talking about walking distance or a very short cab ride, people.

I'm guessing it goes something like this: they only get the function rooms on acceptable terms if they give the hotel the room business (plus the money that the hotel makes on food and beverage). If you've tried to have a wedding at a hotel where you are not also commiting to a bunch of rooms, you know what I'm talking about; it costs. Yet it was at the Hyatt for years, with rooms available but optional. So it can be made to work.

But isn't it also in the team's long-term financial interest to take advantage of the young people walking around all over the Loop, West Loop and South Loop in Sox gear? Don't they want fans like like ChiSoxGal, who is still quite young but has gone for 20 years? Have the event at a non-hotel venue, or do whatever you need to do. Good grief, can they still believe that all Sox fans live in the suburbs and will be thrilled to spend a weekend at a downtown hotel (and one in question is, as kittle points out, not very nice)?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree the venue is a big downer- I'm not a big fan of the Palmer House- too cramped and old for the kind of space that you need to run an even like this.

I haven't been to Sox Fest yet- and the wife and I are going to stay away from big trips next year- so I could rationalize/justify going- but a full weekend in the Palmer House? No thanks-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
The key question: are you going to vote with your dollars and not go?
No, because I love SoxFest. It helps me get through the dreary winter months. All I did in my original post was air my grievances with the Sox for their disconnection with the fans. Isn't the purpose of WSI to be a place for fans to go to share their opinions, air their grievances, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It was *so* much better when it was at the Hyatt and one-day passes were the norm - *and* the players would hang at the nice Atrium Bar.
Absolutely. Those were the good ol' days of SoxFest. I remember when Jon Garland and Brian Anderson were buying shots for fans and drinking with them (2004?). I can always say those two dudes bought me a shot and I drank with them.

I can also remember hanging out in the Atrium bar in 2003 when a very drunk Aaron Rowand asked if I wanted to feel his bicep. That same year, my friend and I were hanging out with Kelly and Jessica Wunsch, and his wife broke out the little family photo album she carried in her purse and started showing us pictures of the kids from their last vacation. At the end of that night, Kelly Wunsch handed me his half-drank Guinness and told me to finish it. I haven't had SoxFest moments that memorable in like a decade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
I went for the first time last year. Like most people, I got free tickets from my ticket rep. I think that might be one of the reasons for the high prices, they give out a bunch of passes. If that wasn't well attended last year, I never want to go when it is well attended. The talks were all full on Saturday, especially the 2005 panel. You had to get in line hours before the player was to sign just to wait more to get that autograph. In January they will be selling single day passes like they always do.

I guess I don't see the disconnect that you do. They lowered ticket prices and parking prices to match what the fans asked for in last years survey. What did the fans do to thank them? Averaged about 2,500 people LESS per game. Yes, this was a hard team to watch, but last year they won and people STILL didn't show up. I think it is a mixture of both fans and the team, not just the team not hearing the fans.

As far as the garage sales and whatnot, yeah the price structure is sorta messed up on some items. But you can get some good deals if you get there early and look hard enough. I have two fitted hats that I wear all the time that I picked up at Soxfest last year for $10 each. I also have a shirt that retails over $100 that I got brand new at one of the sales for $50.
This is probably because I go all the way back to SoxFest 1993. I'm only 34, but I've been going to SoxFest since I was 13 years old. The only two years I didn't go were 1992 because my parents couldn't go with me, and 1995 because it was in the middle of the strike.

I remember the days when Nancy Faust used to play the organ on the lower level of the Hyatt where so many of the autograph stages were set up. I remember when they'd sell Kosher dogs at the concession stands. I also remember how the vendor section of the lower level used to be filled with endless sports memorabilia. Grandstand used to be a fixture at SoxFest; they haven't been there since 2006 because the price shot up when the event got moved to the Palmer House. I also remember when Gene Honda used to be heard announcing different signings and seminars going on throughout the day. These days, Gene is seen & heard at the Opening Ceremony, but that's about it.

What irks me about this whole thing is that, two years ago when I aired my frustrations about the changes SoxFest has endured for the worse at a seminar with Brooks Boyer and Christine O'Reilly, I was told to meet them after the seminar so we could talk. Brooks couldn't have been nicer and from that conversation, my on-field Robin Ventura experience was born. While O'Reilly was cordial to me, she asked that I e-mail her my other comments and suggestions because she said she "wanted to hear from someone with my SoxFest experience." I went home after that weekend and typed up a three-page Word document, e-mailed it to her, and never received a response. To me, that says the organization really isn't all that interested in pleasing its fans when it comes to this event.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM
WSI Regular

The Hyatt was a much better venue and the overall event was more relaxed and spread out. I can't see how the average fan can afford it and I don't understand the hotel requirement to get any benefits. The Sox went too far with this event after 2005 and need to bring it back to where it was, less expensive in a friendly venue with more focus on the average fan.
I never was one to wait inline for autos so we really enjoyed the "private signings" for season ticket holders, might be a good idea to reward your primary customer base.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:42 PM
WSI Regular

Some player and past players listed today as attending:

Scheduled to appear include:
Current Players: Adam Dunn, Avisail Garcia, Josh Phegley, Addison Reed and Hector Santiago
Past Stars: Ron Kittle, Carlos May, Minnie Minoso, Tom Paciorek, Gary Peters and Frank Thomas, and manager Robin Ventura

http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest_2014.jsp
Old 11-28-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI Regular

Jose Abreu and Alexei have been added.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
No, because I love SoxFest. It helps me get through the dreary winter months. All I did in my original post was air my grievances with the Sox for their disconnection with the fans. Isn't the purpose of WSI to be a place for fans to go to share their opinions, air their grievances, etc.?
Yes, it is a place to do that. Also a place to ask a valid question after a long rant by someone about the disconnect if they're still going or not. Until people vote with their $$$, the Sox won't change anything.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
WSI Regular

How close to the event do they usually sell day passes?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post

I remember the days when Nancy Faust used to play the organ on the lower level of the Hyatt where so many of the autograph stages were set up. I remember when they'd sell Kosher dogs at the concession stands. I also remember how the vendor section of the lower level used to be filled with endless sports memorabilia. Grandstand used to be a fixture at SoxFest; they haven't been there since 2006 because the price shot up when the event got moved to the Palmer House. I also remember when Gene Honda used to be heard announcing different signings and seminars going on throughout the day. These days, Gene is seen & heard at the Opening Ceremony, but that's about it.

What irks me about this whole thing is that, two years ago when I aired my frustrations about the changes SoxFest has endured for the worse at a seminar with Brooks Boyer and Christine O'Reilly, I was told to meet them after the seminar so we could talk. Brooks couldn't have been nicer and from that conversation, my on-field Robin Ventura experience was born. While O'Reilly was cordial to me, she asked that I e-mail her my other comments and suggestions because she said she "wanted to hear from someone with my SoxFest experience." I went home after that weekend and typed up a three-page Word document, e-mailed it to her, and never received a response. To me, that says the organization really isn't all that interested in pleasing its fans when it comes to this event.
Lets be real, Christine O'Reilly is an absolute joke. While Brooks I think is genuinely a great guy, answers fan emails, is just a fantastic person, Christine just likes having the job she does. She is really bad it, however.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Looking forward to the annual running of the fans up the ballroom stairs to get into the Soxfest opening line.

It's so, so ridiculous O'Reilly doesn't have the ballroom open when fans start arriving in the morning so everyone can enter the line in orderly, relaxed fashion. Instead, she waits for a couple hundred fans to congregate in the lobby by the stairs and then there's a mob rush into the ballroom when it's finally opened. It's demeaning, and I think telling about her attitude to attendees.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Don't forget, this year's special gift is a limited edition coaster set!