White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Neither do I. He did sign it. If it wasn't to make money and only display he was out the $500 anyway.

The same complaints are said for years, so really, if you want someone to sign really neatly, if you want someone to add their number or HOF or Perfect Game or Cy Young, or sign on the sweet spot, do yourself a favor and skip Soxfest signings next year, or you will be saying the same thing. You can blame the players, but autographs have become big business. Frank, Bo, Thome, I am all sure have contractual obligations when it comes to signing. Whether you have any intention or not of selling it, the guy signing it probably and understandaby thinks you do. There are more people looking to make money in those autograph lines than are not. Even some collectors who say they are for personal display will look for a profit in a few years.
I agree with most of what you're saying, except your opinion that there are more folks there to make money on autos than not. That simply is not the case. The time, money, and effort to get one item at a time signed at a fan convention is not worth it. The math almost never makes sense if you are hoping to profit. Are seekers there to get items signed at a retail discount? Absolutely. If you were to get items signed by Jackson, Thomas, and Thome at an autograph show, it might run you around $400 combined. I understand not personalizing items...that just makes sense. Imagine how long it would take if everyone asked for a specific number, stat, etc. But, I think it's fair to expect a good signature on a good location. I think that's the spirit of a fan convention. These items getting signed usually mean a lot to people. It's just common courtesy. At the same time, these collectors need to realize that players remember faces. If you've been camping out at Soxfest for 15 years straight, you're probably giving the impression that you're running a small business, even if your intentions are innocuous.

As for the folks that wait around in hotel lobbies and stalk players to get 10 of the exact same picture signed, they should all be deported.

Last edited by Standing Ovation; 01-29-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM
WSI Regular

Consider that some of us are collectors of White Sox memorabilia. Not all are out to make a buck. We are particular about the quality of our items and achievements of the players that make-up our collections. I don't have a problem with a player declining to inscribe anything due to the secondary market, that comes with this hobby we have chose. It's a whole other issue when the player (when asked politely) to sign an item in a spot on a special item for your collection. I think REAL collectors get a bum rap from players and others who don't understand the thought and effort put on those items we cherish.
IMO I think it takes away from the "fan fest" when simple request is answered with a sarcastic response or a disrespectful retort. I have signed baseballs and other items from Mark Kotsay and Scott Linebrink (the baseball is actually worth more without the signatures) right next to my Frank Thomas and Luke Appling and display them ALL with pride.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenk16 View Post
Did I miss the annual ChiSoxGirl review of SoxFest?
Ask and you shall receive.

This was my 21st SoxFest and I actually got more autographs at this one (seven) than at the last couple combined. I opted to take a pass on autographs on Friday, since Frank Thomas was only taking photos and having a seminar with Hawk & Wimpy that night, both of which were musts for me when the crowds would likely be significantly lower on Friday than in recent years (they were).

As usual, the red-shirted guest service employees knew nothing about wristbands. When we were let in to SoxFest, my friends and I went to the Grand Ballroom to snag seats for the Opening Ceremony, and my good friend tstrike2000 and I went downstairs to get wristbands for the picture with Frank, which was at 5:30. Of course, no wristbands were being given at 3:45 when we went down there and the woman at the line has no idea when they'd be handed out. She saw the frustration on my face from the lack of wristbands and an answer as to when they'd be distributed, so the girl asked if it was just tstrike2000 & I trying to get a picture and where we wanted to be in the meantime. I told her we had seats at the Opening Ceremony and she said that if the line reached capacity by the time we returned, she'd let us in. After being back upstairs for awhile, we'd heard that wristbands were being given for the photo with Frank, so we went down to get our wristbands and made it back just in time for the Opening Ceremony to start (a half hour late).

After the Opening Ceremony, I stayed in the ballroom for the Rick Hahn/Robin Ventura seminar, which was rather subdued, then we went downstairs for the picture with Frank. Afterwards, we attended his seminar that was led by Hawk & Wimpy, which was awesome.

One thing I did notice about the seminars was that they weren't lasting the full hour they were scheduled for. The Hahn/Ventura seminar was scheduled from 5-6p and it ended around 5:40, and the "Frankly Speaking" seminar was supposed to be from 7-8p, but ended at 7:30. I didn't attend any of the Saturday seminars, so can't say whether or not that was unique to Friday's sessions or not.

After a late, but great dinner at Pizano's with tebman, son of tebman, and my friend Natalie, it was time for a quick nap before Saturday's festivities began. By 6:00 the next morning, we were all down in the Empire Room and about 2/3 of the way back to boot! I decided that this would be my day for autographs and the only must-have for me was Robin. I hung out with tstrike2000 all day and we got the same autographs -- Avisail Garcia and Dayan Viciedo; Robin and Adam Dunn; Gordon Beckham; and Marcus Semien and Micah Johnson.

Particularly disappointing at the Semien/Johnson signing was the SoxFest nazi seated at their table. From left to right, it was the SoxFest nazi, Semien and Johnson. The guy in front of me was getting Semien's autograph and I was next in line. While I was waiting (with baseball and camera in hand), I decided to take a couple pictures. The SoxFest nazi immediately scolded me, saying, "No pictures! We have to keep the line moving!" I told her, "I'm not holding up the line by standing here taking a picture. It's this man's turn to get an autograph and I'm next in line. Once it's my turn, I'll move up and get my autograph. And don't worry, I won't stop to take a picture." All she could do was shoot me a dirty look. I wanted to be like, "Look, lady, I've been coming to this event for 21 years and remember when fans used to be able to walk around the table, stand behind the player, and have their picture taken. Don't tell me that I can't take a picture while standing on this platform and waiting for my turn." And really, let's be honest; Semien and Johnson aren't exactly Thomas and Ventura. I made sure to tell this story in the SoxFest survey I was sent Sunday night.

Also in the SoxFest survey, I went off about the red-shirted guest representatives never having an answer about when wristbands will be given out, etc. Not too many years ago, wristbands would be handed out immediately after the fest opened or lines started forming for a particularly popular player. I'm not sure why the Sox have gone away from that, especially since it seemed to work so well, but it's increasingly frustrating to constantly deal with people at SoxFest who don't have any answers. I've been going to SoxFest longer than many of those guest reps. have been on this earth and resent the way they treat me and other Sox fans like third-class citizens. All of this was detailed in the survey I took.

Unfortunately, I had to leave SoxFest by 9:00 on Sunday morning, so I didn't get to do anything that day.

I think it's interesting that SoxFest is moving venues next year. However, I'm in favor of this because the Palmer House never seemed like "home" for a baseball nerd convention; it's too fancy schmancy. Not to mention the fact that the fest is spread out over three floors; it's escalators, elevators and hidden stairwells abound at SoxFest. From what I've heard, the Hilton on Michigan Ave. is more like the Hyatt in that everything has the potential to be on one or two floors, which will be much easier to navigate. I'm curious to see if the pricing will remain the same for the new venue, as well. They can't possibly hike up the prices any more, can they?!

Overall, though, it was a great SoxFest. How could any event that provides its fans with an opportunity to get your picture taken with a Hall of Famer really be bad? Speaking of that, I had a print made of the picture of me & Frank and it's prominently displayed in a frame in my living room. In one frame on my bookshelf, I have a picture of me & Robin, and a picture of me & Frank in another. I grew up watching Frank and Robin, so it's pretty special for me to have had a picture taken with each of them and have those on display for everyone to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072.jpg (95.1 KB, 71 views)
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 01-30-2014, 03:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://mab-celebrity.com/product/fra...mab-fthommlb25
Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
Also in the SoxFest survey, I went off about the red-shirted guest representatives never having an answer about when wristbands will be given out, etc. Not too many years ago, wristbands would be handed out immediately after the fest opened or lines started forming for a particularly popular player. I'm not sure why the Sox have gone away from that, especially since it seemed to work so well, but it's increasingly frustrating to constantly deal with people at SoxFest who don't have any answers. I've been going to SoxFest longer than many of those guest reps. have been on this earth and resent the way they treat me and other Sox fans like third-class citizens. All of this was detailed in the survey I took.
Shockingly sounds consistent with how those same employees are at the ballpark.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM
WSI Regular

Speaking of employees at the park, does anybody have any idea how I would go about applying for a job there? I am a teacher so I have the summer off and thought it would be a nice change of pace to work at the ballpark. My dream job would be working as a member of the grounds crew, but I think those are more long term positions that I would not be able to do.

In keeping with the topic, great review as always. Although I am nowhere near 20+ consecutive years at Soxfest, I have attended the last several and I agree with many of the points made by ChiSoxGirl. I have had many positive interactions with some of the White Sox employees at Soxfest, but I am continuously baffled at the fact that so many of them are uninformed about what is going on.

I think the job of Soxfest is to connect with fans and get them excited about the upcoming season. I am encouraged by the moves that Hahn has made this offseason and after sitting in on seminars and listening to Abreu and Eaton speak I am definitely looking forward to Opening Day. I also heard a small portion of Avisail Garcia's interview with The Score while I was waiting in line and he is another guy that I am anxious to see in a White Sox uniform for the entire season.

My thoughts are bouncing around in my head right now so I am shifting gears once more. Has anyone on here ever found out the protocol for White Sox players attending Soxfest? Basically I am asking how they determine who will and will not show up. I understand if a player has a wedding, family emergency, etc. but I'm sure most of you have recognized the fact that some players just never attend. (ie. Alex Rios) Not sure if Rios's situation would have to do with his VISA or something...just wondering.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

My thoughts are bouncing around in my head right now so I am shifting gears once more. Has anyone on here ever found out the protocol for White Sox players attending Soxfest? Basically I am asking how they determine who will and will not show up. I understand if a player has a wedding, family emergency, etc. but I'm sure most of you have recognized the fact that some players just never attend. (ie. Alex Rios) Not sure if Rios's situation would have to do with his VISA or something...just wondering.

Unlikely. Rios was born in Alabama and, as such, is a U.S. citizen. He shouldn't need a Visa.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Speaking of employees at the park, does anybody have any idea how I would go about applying for a job there?
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/...s.jsp?c_id=cws
Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post

Or you could always apply to be the Cubs mascot.