White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Bo was very personable? At times, yes. At times, no. The 20-something guy behind me asked Bo if he could sign the photo "To Phil." Bo replied, "Phil, I'm not going to do that." Of course, Bo wasn't the only with an attitude. Phil reported that he got Dunn to autograph something while walking out of his scheduled session after asking Dunn if he could sign one, to which Dunn replied, "You know it's never 'just one.'" Frank's been treated like a god since he was elected to the Hall of Fame, but he can't/won't add "HOF 2014" to his graph? Lame. Even Konerko, who has been generally great with signing for fans over the years had this exchange with a fan: Konerko signs a ball and the fan asks him if he can add some kind of personalization or inscription. Konerko looks at him, shrugs and says, "Go ahead and add whatever you want. I don't do that." Okaaaaaaay.

My point is that players are far too often too difficult for no good reason. At a fan event such as Soxfest, they should be unfailingly cooperative.

I'll add the possibility that Dunn really may have been sick or perhaps he was just hung over. He did not look good at his 9 a.m. signing session. In fact, I was taken a back by him wearing a plain white t-shirt that made him look that he just rolled out of bed five minutes before the session. I'll also note, though, that he was there signing autographs for all three days, which certainly wasn't the case for many others, and it was my experience that he was polite to everyone. It's funny that for a guy so many are quick to rip and boo his autograph lines sure filled up quickly.
Well Frank hasn't been officially inducted into the HOF so I'm guessing that is one reason he isn't willing to add that inscription.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
I have been to most of the recent sales, that helmet has been there for years. Pretty sure it was Quentin's.
Which side is the ear flap on? There's your answer -- Quentin is RH; Danks is LH.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Bo made about 6.852 Million as player.

He is now the President of a bank he founded.
Not to mention his sports complex. I doubt Bo is hurting.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:15 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Bo was very personable? At times, yes. At times, no. The 20-something guy behind me asked Bo if he could sign the photo "To Phil." Bo replied, "Phil, I'm not going to do that." Of course, Bo wasn't the only with an attitude. Phil reported that he got Dunn to autograph something while walking out of his scheduled session after asking Dunn if he could sign one, to which Dunn replied, "You know it's never 'just one.'" Frank's been treated like a god since he was elected to the Hall of Fame, but he can't/won't add "HOF 2014" to his graph? Lame. Even Konerko, who has been generally great with signing for fans over the years had this exchange with a fan: Konerko signs a ball and the fan asks him if he can add some kind of personalization or inscription. Konerko looks at him, shrugs and says, "Go ahead and add whatever you want. I don't do that." Okaaaaaaay.

My point is that players are far too often too difficult for no good reason. At a fan event such as Soxfest, they should be unfailingly cooperative.
I heard that Dunn sat outside his signing on Saturday and signed for another half hour. Compared to Thome who wouldn't sign when he left his session. I don't blame Jim, he did what he was supposed to do and left.

Many folks have a great experience with Paul Konerko, I really didn't when I got my autograph. I don't call him out on it though.

I think fans get a wee bit demanding at times. I was at the Tank / Abreu signing and watched 4 kids get about 16 autographs from Jose. Why was that going on? $

And yes, Frank isn't in the HOF yet, so no he can't sign that. The first time he signs that is on a ball that will remain in the HOF.

For $40 a day, I think SoxFest (for an autograph collector) is a pretty good deal. But that's just me.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Which side is the ear flap on? There's your answer -- Quentin is RH; Danks is LH.
Don't remember. It sold. Wasn't there on Sunday.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Not to mention his sports complex. I doubt Bo is hurting.
I doubt he is either, but that doesn't mean he should give it away.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Domeshot has a pretty awesome story about his father in law and Frank Thomas this weekend at Soxfest. Hopefully he can share and bring some positive vibes to this thread.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
Domeshot has a pretty awesome story about his father in law and Frank Thomas this weekend at Soxfest. Hopefully he can share and bring some positive vibes to this thread.
I don't want to get Frank in trouble haha. My father in law, I have mentioned here in the past has MSAP, not in good shape. He went down to Soxfest for Big Frank. He got in line early. He actually rigged a seat together on his walker with bungee cords to sit on in line. (Btw, that scared the crap out of me. That walker is not weighted properly to be a chair!).

10 minutes before Frank shows, they announce the HOF thing. Well, Mike had this bat made years ago, an exact replica of what Thomas swung. Frank had already signed it with ALL of his career accomplishments, the mvps, the homers, the awards, all star ,everything. Mike was there to add on to that. He was first in the handicapped line, and mentioned to Frank what the deal was and asked if he remembered the bat. Mike did not leave disappointed.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
I

And yes, Frank isn't in the HOF yet, so no he can't sign that. The first time he signs that is on a ball that will remain in the HOF.
It's funny how many people think this when it is 100% not true. MAB Celebrity has him as an exclusive client and are paying him to sign HOF. They then charge the public $50 on top of the autograph fee to put HOF 2014 on your item. In fact, Frank had a signing in New York on 1/26 which is why they moved him to Fri/Sat from Sat/Sun. He also has a signing in Rosemont in March where you can pay $99 for a ball to be signed plus $50 for HOF.

And here are some from Steiner: http://www.steinersports.com/frank-t...-mlb-auth.html

There are plenty of Greg Maddux HOF items out there as well. In fact, the Cubs were smart and were selling them at Cubs convention last weekend.

Last edited by salty99; 01-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99 View Post
It's funny how many people think this when it is 100% not true. MAB Celebrity has him as an exclusive client and are paying him to sign HOF. They then charge the public $50 on top of the autograph fee to put HOF 2014 on your item. In fact, Frank had a signing in New York on 1/26 which is why they moved him to Fri/Sat from Sat/Sun. He also has a signing in Rosemont in March where you can pay $99 for a ball to be signed plus $50 for HOF.

And here are some from Steiner: http://www.steinersports.com/frank-t...-mlb-auth.html

There are plenty of Greg Maddux HOF items out there as well. In fact, the Cubs were smart and were selling them at Cubs convention last weekend.
Could you provide a link to those signings? Thanks.

Dude, that Steiner picture is photoshopped.

As far as Maddux, what were they selling? Can you provide a link to that too?

This is fake-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREG-MADDUX-...item417bdc9f6b

So is this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREG-MADDUX-...51219907950%26
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Maddux signing was 1/22 at Steiner Sports New York. He is represented by Lojo Sports. My friend go this done:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...15623667_n.jpg

Rosemont:
http://www.mm-shows.com/46th-annual-...es-convention/

Show on 1/26:
http://mab-celebrity.com/pinstripeperfection

SPECIAL GUEST
HOF 2014
FRANK THOMAS
SUNDAY
12:00-1:30
Flats & Balls: $99
Caps, Equip, Bats & Jerseys: $129
Inscriptions: $25
HOF Inscription: $50

Tony LaRussa
Special Guest
12:00-1:00
Flats up to 11◊14
& Balls: $60
O/S flats, Caps
& Equip: $80
Bats, Jerseys, #ís
& Artwork: $90
HOF Inscription: $40
Other Inscriptions: $20
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Unfortunately, I just read about a misadventure one collector had with Thome. The Greatest Human Being On The Planet gave him the bad version of his signature (extra sloppy with no "#25") on a game-used bat. I feel for the collector because the bat is worth roughly $500 and now the wow factor of the bat is somewhat diminished not to mention that the guy has a bad memory associated with it and a player he obviously liked. The pathetic part of it is I'm sure Thome did it on purpose. He's often an ass when it comes to signing stuff. He makes all these little judgements about people and then signs accordingly. He didn't give me a #25 either, but it really didn't matter to me because I had him sign just a magazine. But he was sizing up people throughout his session Sunday. Sometimes he would get ticked off for whatever reason. One woman who didn't receive a #25 from him (I believe it was on a generic bat) returned to the table and asked him to add it. He complied, but was clearly not happy to do it.

If you ask me, Thome is a phoney.

How much money do some of these players have to make for them to stop playing all these little games with fans? Jackson and Thomas were clearly holding out on people to make them buy their signature/HOF add at a memorabilia show.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think it's ridiculous to judge a person by how they act at an autograph session at which they're signing for 500 people.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I just read about a misadventure one collector had with Thome. The Greatest Human Being On The Planet gave him the bad version of his signature (extra sloppy with no "#25") on a game-used bat. I feel for the collector because the bat is worth roughly $500 and now the wow factor of the bat is somewhat diminished not to mention that the guy has a bad memory associated with it and a player he obviously liked. The pathetic part of it is I'm sure Thome did it on purpose. He's often an ass when it comes to signing stuff. He makes all these little judgements about people and then signs accordingly. He didn't give me a #25 either, but it really didn't matter to me because I had him sign just a magazine. But he was sizing up people throughout his session Sunday. Sometimes he would get ticked off for whatever reason. One woman who didn't receive a #25 from him (I believe it was on a generic bat) returned to the table and asked him to add it. He complied, but was clearly not happy to do it.

How much money do some of these players have to make for them to stop playing all these little games with fans? Jackson and Thomas were clearly holding out on people to make them buy their signature/HOF add at a memorabilia show.

I dont get it either. A guy like Thome who made over 140M in his career and is worrying about people making $100 bucks off his signature. This is supposedly the jesus of baseball players. (something I never bought into)

Jackson and Thomas similar but Thomas lost a lot on wives and bad business deals, Jackson isnt in the same league with the money he made.

To me it comes down to greed with this autograph stuff and not just with these 3 guys but with tons of others.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Maybe they get frustrated with grown adults who fuss and moan about having them scribble things the "proper way". I'd be frustrated too.