White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Peavy with another quality outing

With Jake's awesome performance yesterday his playoff era is only 10.31.

So glad the White Sox dumped this guy. He seemed to always struggle at key moments with the Sox, especially during the second half of 2012 when he went 0-6 vs KC and Detroit.

Boston Globe
Old 10-17-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Duh.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

What he lacks in crunch time production he makes up for in sound bites about being tough.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM
WSI Guru

I've never understood the Peavy hate here. He's a good pitcher. He just can't stay healthy.

So many Chicago fans want "fire and passion" from ballplayers, and then when they have player who wears his emotions on his sleeve, they complain that he "talks too much." It's ridiculous. I don't give a **** what a player says in the media one way or the other.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wish Peavy was wearing a White Sox uniform and we were talking about his high ERA during this postseason.

I like the guy. I hope he get a ring. I just hate rooting for Boston.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I've never understood the Peavy hate here. He's a good pitcher. He just can't stay healthy.

So many Chicago fans want "fire and passion" from ballplayers, and then when they have player who wears his emotions on his sleeve, they complain that he "talks too much." It's ridiculous. I don't give a **** what a player says in the media one way or the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I wish Peavy was wearing a White Sox uniform and we were talking about his high ERA during this postseason.

I like the guy. I hope he get a ring. I just hate rooting for Boston.
My feelings exactly.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sorry, he just rubbed me the wrong way. I guess I'm hopelessly out of date. I like Gary Cooper kind of guys that just do it. If you're going to toot your horn then "guarantee it" like Joe Namath or back it up (sometimes in the exact round) like Ali did. Besides, how much grief did Javier Vazquez get? Peavy earned a little bit of it for not showing up when it counts the most.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:

Thank you. I never understood the hate either.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I don't think anyone hates him. I think people resent the fact that his actual performance on the mound leaves something to be desired and, thus, would prefer he said little or nothing at all. Personally, I doubt he's any more "passionate" or "desperate to win" than any other professional athlete. His comments aren't boastful so what he says is no big deal to me one way or the other but I can see why guys get sick of hearing it after a while.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
I don't think anyone hates him. I think people resent the fact that his actual performance on the mound leaves something to be desired and, thus, would prefer he said little or nothing at all. Personally, I doubt he's any more "passionate" or "desperate to win" than any other professional athlete. His comments aren't boastful so what he says is no big deal to me one way or the other but I can see why guys get sick of hearing it after a while.
He was a big acquisition, and the media was drawn to him because of it, as well as the fact that the only other guy in the locker room who was any good for a quote on anything was Ozzie. Fans would have called him an ******* if every newspaper article printed about the Sox had a Jake Peavy "No comment" attached to it.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
He was a big acquisition, and the media was drawn to him because of it, as well as the fact that the only other guy in the locker room who was any good for a quote on anything was Ozzie. Fans would have called him an ******* if every newspaper article printed about the Sox had a Jake Peavy "No comment" attached to it.
They probably would have. But there's likely a middle ground between "no comment" and fire and brimstone quotes about "effort" and "desire" or whatever.

Honestly I can only recall the gist of what he says as opposed to specifics because I don't care what any athlete says; only what he does. And its what Peavy didn't do here and very recently in Boston that's the real driving factor in guys mocking him. But mocking him isn't hate; its just a natural response that many have to anyone who says ANYTHING and then doesn't produce.

Sports fans are rarely forgiving to the non-performer. I think his comments have been pretty benign overall but its no big mystery to me why guys rip Jake.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

The reason why I posted it wasn't my hatred of Peavy the person. I didn't hate the guy, I just didn't buy his "tough county boy act".

The Sox traded a lot of players for the guy, signed him to a big contract, he told us that he was tough, talked a lot on the mound bringing attention to himself and then when you need him to pitch like an ace, he can't make it out of the third inning.

The last player the Sox had that reminded me of Peavy was Nick Swisher.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
They probably would have. But there's likely a middle ground between "no comment" and fire and brimstone quotes about "effort" and "desire" or whatever.

Honestly I can only recall the gist of what he says as opposed to specifics because I don't care what any athlete says; only what he does. And its what Peavy didn't do here and very recently in Boston that's the real driving factor in guys mocking him. But mocking him isn't hate; its just a natural response that many have to anyone who says ANYTHING and then doesn't produce.

Sports fans are rarely forgiving to the non-performer. I think his comments have been pretty benign overall but its no big mystery to me why guys rip Jake.
Here's the thing- Peavy never made these bombastic, outrageous quotes about being a bulldog, or anything silly like that. He just said the same thing that any guy who's on the shelf in any sport would say about how badly he wants to be back on the field. All of the attitude that's been added onto those quotes is coming from the people who want to hate him for no other reason than "**** Jake Peavy".
Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't know, maybe it was the 800 times he called himself a bulldog or talked about his will to win. Some people get tired of hearing that kind of stuff, or they get the wrong impression about a guy. He was an above average pitcher in his time with the White Sox but he did not live up to our expectations, and as a result there's a fair amount of Sox fans who think of him as "all hat, no cattle." I don't really blame them. I'm greatful that he brought us Avisail Garcia in return, but I'm also glad that someone else is paying him.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Thank you.