Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

First of all "contender" is a slippery term. You can make the case during the off season that at least 15 teams are "contenders" given that each year there is usually at least one team that surprises the "experts" and contends into September.

Secondly, if a team is a strong contender, doesn't that usually mean that they have a high caliber Catcher, so why would they be interested in AJ?

All hail The Rick
Old 10-25-2013, 03:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It's astounding the baseless notion that continues to float around about Phegley becoming a solid player. He was never supposed to be, the guy was routinely dismissed by scouts

Hmm, I guess that explains why he was selected in the first round. Cause scouts thought he had no chance, brilliant analysis.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It's astounding the baseless notion that continues to float around about Phegley becoming a solid player. He was never supposed to be, the guy was routinely dismissed by scouts and had what amount to half a season of good AAA at an advanced age before bombing as expected at the major league level. There shouldn't be any talk about Phegley producing anytime soon, and even then it should be as a 30 start a year backup/3rd catcher that floats between levels.
But, but, but....he had a great 2/3 of a year at AAA - he was a late bloomer!

All kidding aside (though is the above really kidding to some?), I think people are just desperate for something better than Tyler Flowers.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Hmm, I guess that explains why he was selected in the first round. Cause scouts thought he had no chance, brilliant analysis.
First off, it was the supplemental first round, just being picky.

Second, here: "Despite the big numbers, not every scout was sold on Phegley, skeptics pointing out that he didn't hit nearly as well with wooden bats in summer competition. There were also questions about his defense, but the Sox felt his issues were fixable."

Damnit - you have me defending munch!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Secondly, if a team is a strong contender, doesn't that usually mean that they have a high caliber Catcher, so why would they be interested in AJ?
So, I looked up 2013 predictions and found that the "contending" teams were generally thought to be:

TB - J. Molina
WAS - Ramos
DET - Avila
CIN - Mesoraco/Hanigan
OAK - Jaso
TEX - AJ!
STL - Y. Molina
SF - Posey
LAD - A. Ellis
LAA - Ianetta

The ones in bold are not exactly worldbeaters - you can argue on AJ Ellis because he has a good OBP.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
I'd rather they draft and develop a decent catcher. Is that too much to ask?
I've been asking that for years. Maybe this year is when we finally do that. I don't mind Phegley as a back-up, but he and Flowers can't be the only guys on our roster.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm all for drafting and developing a stud catcher, and I don't think there are any delusions about AJ being any sort of long term plan. I don't quite understand what's wrong with wanting a non-****ty catcher for a year or two.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Did some people actually watch games last year? Phegley can't hit a major league curve ball. The dude is a good story, he came back from a bad disease to make it to the majors, but he had a hot a streak. He was never a real prospect, and the sooner we move on from busted guys like Him, Flowers, maybe even Gordon, the better.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Did some people actually watch games last year? Phegley can't hit a major league curve ball. The dude is a good story, he came back from a bad disease to make it to the majors, but he had a hot a streak. He was never a real prospect, and the sooner we move on from busted guys like Him, Flowers, maybe even Gordon, the better.
No kidding. I wonder if other hardcore fans of other fanbases are just willing to stick with well below average guys for years.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
No kidding. I wonder if other hardcore fans of other fanbases are just willing to stick with well below average guys for years.
I have noticed that the Cards and Redsox don't have a lot of Phegleys and Keppingers at starting positions (or on the roster at all).
Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I have noticed that the Cards and Redsox don't have a lot of Phegleys and Keppingers at starting positions (or on the roster at all).
Unlike the Sox, those teams actually develop position players who can hit MLB pitching.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
My argument was that given a few years as a backup he might develop into a decent player, not that Phegley should be penciled into a position with the Sox. I swear, you guys like to take a statement and turn it into something else.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
My argument was that given a few years as a backup he might develop into a decent player, not that Phegley should be penciled into a position with the Sox. I swear, you guys like to take a statement and turn it into something else.
That's still "sticking with him."
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't think I twisted anything. That's still "sticking with him." I mean, if his defense was much better, he could be a backup as a Henry Blanco type, but catchers like Phegley are a dime a dozen.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 PM
WSI High Priest

So the Sox should write off Phegley after 1/2 a season, when everyone on the team sucked? He showed he can have a solid stick and slumped with the rest of the team. I say don't break the bank, sign a guy like Soto ( nothing wrong with that ) and if they do Draft Alex Jackson they don't have to rush him.