White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Anyone still feel this was an overpayment at $11 million per when known bad commodities are getting $17.5?

Hell, Adam Dunn's last year does not look bad after all.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Anyone still feel this was an overpayment at $11 million per when known bad commodities are getting $17.5?

No it looks pretty bad. Abreu has the bar set at:

Viciedo's White Sox stat line-
.264 .306 .432 .738

Dunn's White Sox stat line-
.197 .317 .405 .722
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

Adam Dunn's salary is only part of the problem.

Speaking wildly hypothetically, in an alternate universe where there were no Adam Dunn on the White Sox, if someone were paying the White Sox what Adam Dunn is making, to play regularly with what Adam Dunn is doing for the Sox on the field, he would be hurting the team.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM
MMXXIII

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Adam Dunn's salary is only part of the problem.

Speaking wildly hypothetically, in an alternate universe where there were no Adam Dunn on the White Sox, if someone were paying the White Sox what Adam Dunn is making, to play regularly with what Adam Dunn is doing for the Sox on the field, he would be hurting the team.
Dunn's definitely not helping the team, but let's not get into some sort of false narrative that paints the Sox as a powerhouse that's being dragged down by Adam Dunn the Anchor. He was probably the most prolific offensive player the team had last year.

Dunn's gone after 2014 so in terms of any kind of planning, he's not much of a problem any more. Best case scenario is he starts the year hot, and a contender who needs a left handed bat takes a flyer on him. Worst case scenario is he plays out the string and is let go after next season. I don't think anyone expects the Sox to seriously contend for much more than 3rd place, but even after Adam is gone, this team now has 2 keepers and 7 holes to fill in it's lineup. That's why we stinks.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree that the damage has already been done (pun). The good news is that there is more cash to work with in 2015. They can find good ways to use that money.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
I agree that the damage has already been done (pun). The good news is that there is more cash to work with in 2015. They can find good ways to use that money.
And half the people here will complain about how they use it.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-23-2013, 05:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Probably.
But $15 million can get you a ton, when it comes to domestic and international scouts. That also opens up draft and international signing money (even though that is regulated now). There is a lot of money that came off of the books this season, even with Dunn's contract still there. If they redistribute the payroll, they can build a more consistent winner.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...cg&output=html
Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
…and the other half will want to use it to further reduce ticket prices, and then complain about how they use it.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Dunn's definitely not helping the team, but let's not get into some sort of false narrative that paints the Sox as a powerhouse that's being dragged down by Adam Dunn the Anchor. He was probably the most prolific offensive player the team had last year.

Dunn's gone after 2014 so in terms of any kind of planning, he's not much of a problem any more. Best case scenario is he starts the year hot, and a contender who needs a left handed bat takes a flyer on him. Worst case scenario is he plays out the string and is let go after next season. I don't think anyone expects the Sox to seriously contend for much more than 3rd place, but even after Adam is gone, this team now has 2 keepers and 7 holes to fill in it's lineup. That's why we stinks.
The White Sox last year were a better team without Dunn in the lineup. That has been true since he came to the White Sox.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The White Sox last year were a better team without Dunn in the lineup. That has been true since he came to the White Sox.
Which is basically like saying this bucket of **** tastes better than that bucket of ****, the bottom line is that it's all **** so what difference does it really make?

If you want to talk about the 2012 team falling short because of Dunn's poor play, I'm all ears, the Sox were at least average offensively, but if you're trying to lay the 2013 disaster at his feet, that's pretty silly.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Which is basically like saying this bucket of **** tastes better than that bucket of ****, the bottom line is that it's all **** so what difference does it really make?

If you want to talk about the 2012 team falling short because of Dunn's poor play, I'm all ears, the Sox were at least average offensively, but if you're trying to lay the 2013 disaster at his feet, that's pretty silly.
Very true. The biggest problem with Dunn is that we keep batting him third and fourth in our lineup. He would be much better suited hitting around the 6th spot, but we don't have anyone else that can hit worth a damn either.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This took me 8 minutes of work on baseball reference to prove wrong.

In games Dunn did not play or did not start, the Sox were 6-11.

These were game numbers 7, 32, 35, 51, 85, 91, 94, 112, 135, 138, 141, 148, 154, 155, 156, 158, 162.

Do research first, I say!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Impossible Dream

If you dream the Impossible Dream, who knows it might actually occur. I've always been good at spending other peoples money so I would like to spend some of the White Sox money. All Hahn has to do is sign Ellsbury, Cano and McCann to put the White Sox back in the 2014 Playoffs. Just think of the roster.
C= McCann and Phegley
1B= Abreu
2B= Cano
SS= Ramirez
3B- Gillespie/Keppinger
LF=DeAza/Viciedo
Cf= Ellsbury
RF= Garcia
SP= Sale, Quintana, Danks, Johnson, and Santiago
RP= Reed, Lindstrom, Veal, Veal, Webb and Jones
DH= Konerko/Viciedo
I have no doubt if the White Sox had this roster they would be in the 2014 Playoffs. All they have to do is spend a little bit of money to make this happen. I read yesterday that the White Sox have the 11th most valuable BB franchise. (Bloomberg News) So lets hope they start spending some of there money to make all of this happen.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
If you dream the Impossible Dream, who knows it might actually occur.
Once I saw a lineup, I didn't need to read the rest of the post to know it won't.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Once I saw a lineup, I didn't need to read the rest of the post to know it won't.
It's definitely impossible. No way a clone of Donnie Veal could be ready for the 2014 season.,