White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't know what McCann will command, but taking a look at the names Flowers and Phegley tells me if there is one team that would get maximum value from spending at the catcher position, it's the White Sox.
I just worry about spending big money on a catcher who is on the wrong side of 30.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
If he puts up exactly the same hitting line Dunn did at his age, it would be considered an enormous success, and a national story.
If he puts up the same hitting line as Dunn at his age, that means he would put up a .159/.292/.327 in year five of this contract.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
How do you figure? Statistically he has been well above average as well, except this year. Look at 2012. .990 Fielding percentage along with above average range factors and 110 double plays. Fourth in the AL in fielding, fourth in range factor, third in assists and first in double plays.

I'll agree he didn't play up to his past standards this year, but I don't know how you can argue with numbers from the previous years.
Jeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-20-2013, 02:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Jeter
I don't get it. Jeter consistently has had below average range and fielding percentage, and nowhere close to leading the league in double plays.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I just worry about spending big money on a catcher who is on the wrong side of 30.
Me too, but he'll only be 30 next year. A five year deal would take him through age 34. That's not too bad. Specially for a Sox fan, considering our two best catchers over the last thirty years were basically in their prime at 34.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM
WSI Prelate

YOu pay a high premium to get a catcher who can hit. Not worth it. Accept a hole on offense there.

With that kind of money, we could fill 2-3 holes with good players.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:04 PM
WSI Regular

So what is this Cuban's nickname going to be? We've had a comet, a missile, and a tank. Maybe go back to stellar objects with the Cuban Asteroid? Hmm, probably not a good idea to use a nickname with "steroid" in it.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
YOu pay a high premium to get a catcher who can hit. Not worth it. Accept a hole on offense there.

With that kind of money, we could fill 2-3 holes with good players.
That's really what it comes down to: Can you fill those two or three other holes?

IMO, the Sox sacrificed offense for defense at too many positions in 2013. That, in combination with guys who were supposed to hit not hitting (Konerko, Keppinger, Viciedo) just torpedoed the offense.

The Sox definitely gave up offense for defense with Flowers and Beckham. You can argue they gave up offense for defense as well with Ramirez, who has been in steady decline offensively over the last few years. They went into the season with multiple holes in the lineup, and they likely would have struggled even if guys had played to career norms.

I don't like the catching situation at all. I'd like to see an upgrade. But if they are not able to upgrade there, they have to find a way to upgrade 3B, LF and one of the middle IF positions, too. Or, they can keep the middle infield as is and pray Ramirez starts hitting again.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Putting words in my mouth I see. All I meant was that it's much too early to give up on the kid. You completely blew it up to much more and called him "one of the worst in the league". I don't think you can lump every player in the same bag and say that he'll never be good because of "x". Viciedo dealt with injuries all season, I'm up for giving him a full 2014 to see if he can bounce back.
If you mean I "blew it up" by mentioning what's been mentioned by publications, then yes. I blew it up. By repeating common sense.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
A WAR just at or above replacement level doesn't mean average. A team of replacement level players is supposed to produce a winning percentage of something like .320.
Thank you, I don't think people get this. Being replacement level is bad. It means you're the 22-25th guy on a bad team, riding the back of the bench waiting for someone better to take your spot.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI Personality

Now that Abreu is signed, all Hahn has to do is sign Cano, Ellsbury and McCann and the White Sox will be back in the Playoffs in 2014. If Hahn signs those 3 players I will take my chances against anybody in the league next season.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
If you mean I "blew it up" by mentioning what's been mentioned by publications, then yes. I blew it up. By repeating common sense.
Which publication said he was "one of the worst in the league?" Munchman weekly?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Now that Abreu is signed, all Hahn has to do is sign Cano, Ellsbury and McCann and the White Sox will be back in the Playoffs in 2014. If Hahn signs those 3 players I will take my chances against anybody in the league next season.
Should this post be in hot pink or teal?

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Which publication said he was "one of the worst in the league?" Munchman weekly?
He was in the discussion on the fox sports annual piece and named by ESPN analysts in their season reviews as well. I linked a piece last year that went pretty in depth, too, when discussing the worst players in baseball, because people couldn't admit he was one of the worst regulars statistically. And that was last year. He just topped last year in bad-ness.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Going a little off-topic, I remember earlier in this thread that people were talking about the declining production of Ramirez. While this is indisputable (just look at the HR totals), how do you explain the plethora of doubles he hit in 2013? 39 doubles is a career high for him by a wide margin. Did it lead AL SS? He had the highest amount of hits in his career (albeit, with the highest amount of ABs as well), and I'm not too worried with the low RBIs last season since barely anyone could get on base for him to knock in in the first place. Third lowest K total, swiped 30 bags (a career high)

I guess what I'm getting at is that, at least in the case of Ramirez, I think that he's still got stuff left in the tank. Hopefully, with a better lineup to play with, Ramirez's production will increase.

2014 PtC Score: 1